Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News KOTOR 2 scans

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Chris Avellone; Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

No introduction is necessary. <a href=http://www.nforce.nl/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14775>KOTOR 2 article and screenshots</a>, courtesy of <b>EGM</b>, some guy who scanned the article, and <b>Role-Player</b> who told me about it.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Lead Designer Chris Avellone knows, but he aint tellin'. " About a year after the end of the first game, Revan took off to the Unknown regions and hasn't been heard from since," he says. "Revan does have a specific fate, and it will be revealed," he says ... just not until you play <b>The Sith Lords</b></blockquote>Hopefully, some other characters took off too, never to be heard from again.
<br>

Vault Dweller

Developer
Some other things from the article:

Jedi Prestige classes: Master, Watchman, Weapon Master. Sith: Lord, Marauder, Assassin.

The game is linear, but with a lot of freedom to choose what specifically you do next.
7 worlds to visit with a lot of separate game areas.
You can influence your companion alignments (i.e. if they like you and you start falling to the DS, they start falling too)
No huge interface or combat differences, inventory and char screen looks familiar.
A lot more stuff to do with the workbenches: deconstruct existing items, and use the parts to build more powerful items. This time, your repair and security skills do count, increasing workbench options a lot.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Yeah, the screenshots did look like crap to me also. That one girl's arm looks like she's dislocated her shoulder. That one guy's hair and chest look a little odd as well. Of course, they do say it's the exact same engine as KotOR in the body of the piece. However, it's not the engine, it's the models that just don't seem to look right.

There was a funny quote in there about Obsidian making this instead of Bioware, though. Something along the lines of, Don't worrry! These guys know how to make BioWare spin offs! They used to be Black Isle Studios!

Thank goodness the minigames are totally optional now.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
EGM is a magazine.

If it was a joke, then you can all laugh at me.

edit: omg VDs writing style is too hardcore for me.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
The game is linear, but with a lot of freedom to choose what specifically you do next.
Well at least they are being honest about the linearity.
No huge interface or combat differences, inventory and char screen looks familiar
DIE BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can influence your companion alignments (i.e. if they like you and you start falling to the DS, they start falling too)
Uhuh, so will they actually act evil or will their eyes just start glowing? :roll: Just wondering.

Yes, the thing that bothered me most about the graphics is the character models. Maybe they are just using simplified ones for now while the game's in the early stages of development and they are concentrating more on stuff like writing.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The mdels certainly do look worst then the first game. Weird.

Keeping the same inventory? Nooooooooooooo..

I'm surprised no one is whining about the prestige classes.

I'm glad the mini games are optional now. That's cool. I'll stick to mostly pazaak and some swoop racing. I'lla void the space cadet at all cost.

Influencing comapnions is good. You couldn't do that much (except in two unique and special circumstances) in the original.

Can't wait to see what they do with Datooine.

I wonder if you are absolutely forced to be a jedi and not allowed to take any of the non jedi classes at all. That would suck.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
ad_g-glass.gif

Now there's a banner ad we need over here!

Whipporowill

Erudite
Volourn said:
Keeping the same inventory? Nooooooooooooo...

I can't believe it! That was the worst part of the game - it reeked! I hope he's talking about the Xbox version here and that some effort is put into the pc port.

Volourn said:
I wonder if you are absolutely forced to be a jedi and not allowed to take any of the non jedi classes at all. That would suck.

Well. You already are a jedi when the game starts, sooo.... but why would a lvl 1 jedi (or do we start kotor2 at a higher level) be fighting in the mandalorian wars?

Voss

Erudite
And apparently, they're definitely bringing back the work-droid with 0 personality. Huzzah!

(last page of the scans, at the bottom. And is it me, or does that 'manly-man Atton Rand' look more like a butch lesbian?)

Dhruin

Liturgist
I didn't expect them to change the gameplay much - KotOR had broad appeal and they wouldn't want to mess with that. *Really* disappointed they're keeping the same dreadful interface. The background seems dodgy as well: I'm a Jedi but I don't have a lightsabre? C'mon MCA!

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Hmm, so Revan went into the Unknown Regions, I wonder if the game will go there as well, would give Obsidian a lot of "creative freedom".

Jora

Arcane
I really like this part:

...our focus is really more content driven than technology driven.

I don't like the decision to keep the old combat system and interface but otherwise it sounds pretty good.

Whipporowill

Erudite
I enjoyed KOTOR and don't see any reason for the sequel to be worse than the first - I can take bland graphics as long as there's an interesting story. Hopefully the gameplay will be a litte more spruced up though... but I guess there's "ENJIN LIMITATIONS" again.

Anonymous

The lightsabers look like dogshit. Someone had 'Kewl Flaming Sword Partikle Effikx' on when making them.

Crazy_Vasey

Novice
I'm really curious as to how they're going to fulfill their promise of making the plot make sense whether you played light or dark in the original. Seeing as how playing light meant saving the galaxy and playing dark meant conquering it, that doesn't seem possible to me.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Saving the galaxy? Conquering it? What game did you play? I played the one where your character, regardless of his alignment, deals with Malak and his star factory thingy. In the sequel Revan is gone far, far away, apparently to look for some other cool stuff to threaten the Known Regions with, and clearing the way for a brand new character to do what brand new characters do best: save the galaxy! :)

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I liked those tons of text in Planescape. If I remember correctly, MCA was responsible for that. So I don't care that the screenshots look a bit shitty, I want many detailed descriptions and interesting dialogue.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Yep, MCA's involvment, especially as a Lead Designer, is the only reason why I'm interested in this game. PST was da bomb, and New Reno was done very, very nicely (it didn't fit, but that's a different story).

Crazy_Vasey

Novice
The Dark Side ending pretty strongly implied that Revan's armies were on the verge of galactic domination. The Republic fleet was scattered and weak, the core systems were defenceless (almost exact quote, if my memory's right), and they had the Star Forge pumping out more warships than they knew what to do with. And, to add to that, Revan was pretty much a Force God at the end of it all and would cut through the Jedi like a hot knife through butter, and they had Bastila's Battle Meditation. It really was game over for the good guys.

The light side ending, yeah, you're probably right, although I can't see how the Sith could take out the Jedi while also slugging it out over who's going to be the new master. You just know they were going to have a civil war over it, especially if what happens at the Academy on Korriban is representative of how the Sith handle these things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom