Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Jeff Vogel reveals tidbits on a new series

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Spiderweb Software

The Gamer Studio <a href="http://www.thegamerstudio.com/interview/480-spiderweb-software.html">interviewes Jeff Vogel.</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;"><b>What is the new game called and why?</b>
<br>
<br>
I actually don't have a name yet. I have several possibilities, but we're going over them for possible trademark issues. Right now, the working title is "The Game". It'll probably be a couple months before we nail down something exact.
<br>
<br>
<b>What elements have you transfered over from your other games?</b>
<br>
<br>
It will be a party-based role-playing game with turn-based combat, like we have always done. However, we have completely streamlined the game system in some ways and made it more elaborate in others, like the tactical combat. The basic genre is the same, but everything else is being redesigned.
<br>
</p>
<br>
I just spotted the word *streamlined*. I predict a bright future for Spiderweb.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#14443">RPGWatch</A>

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I actually don't have a name yet. I have several possibilities, but we're going over them for possible trademark issues. Right now, the working title is "The Game"

David Fincher lawsuit ! :P

Yeesh

Magister
How would this dumbing down of the game system affect your more hardcore fans?

Dumbing down? That's really a hostile way to put it. Dragon Age: Origins and Diablo 2 had character systems where there were lots of choices and ways to customize your character, but it was still simple and accessible and it was really difficult to make a character which wouldn't be effective in the late game. It is possible to make a rich, flexible system without "dumbing" it down.

As for how it will effect my fans, my job is to write a fun game, a game I would want to play. Then I release it. Some people will like it and some people won't. But trying to design based on my guesses regarding the thoughts of imaginary people leads to endless waves of second-guessing.

By the way, I'm hoping to release the game in Spring of 2011, so I have a lot of time to change my mind about everything.

Hmmm.

Jason

chasing a bee
I just spotted the word *streamlined*. I predict a bright future for Spiderweb.
Not really worried because he followed it with:
and made it more elaborate in others, like the tactical combat.
Shit, that's all I really asked for him to do differently so this is good news (probably should wait to see what it actually means before getting too excited, though).

Besides, I'm not sure Jeff knows how to do streamlined.

MisterStone

Arcane
I hope he makes the skill system a little bit more complex, and the magic a little bit less munchkiny. Also, hire some decent artists for the love of god already...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"As for how it will effect my fans, my job is to write a fun game, a game I would want to play. Then I release it. Some people will like it and some people won't. But trying to design based on my guesses regarding the thoughts of imaginary people leads to endless waves of second-guessing."

FFS I may hate the guys overrated shitty games but damn he speaks intelligent. Fuck the peonic fans who think everything is about them., Fuck 'em, fuck 'em to hell!

ElectricOtter

VentilatorOfDoom said:
However, we have completely streamlined the game system
Jesus Christ, Vogel. I try to defend you, but you're not making it easy...

more elaborate in others, like the tactical combat. The basic genre is the same, but everything else is being redesigned.
FUCK

YEEAHH

Eagerly anticipating this new release. Sounds great so far :D

Elzair

Cipher
By "streamlining" I hope he means make the combat system more like Ultima III/IV/V because that system kicks ass!

MisterStone

Arcane
Droog White Smile said:

thegamev.jpg

ElectricOtter

Elzair said:
By "streamlining" I hope he means make the combat system more like Ultima III/IV/V because that system kicks ass!
Jeff Vogel said:
more elaborate in others, like the tactical combat. The basic genre is the same, but everything else is being redesigned.
:?

Andhaira

Arcane
Are you finally done with the Geneforge and Avernum series, or might we expect another game along those lines?

My plan right now is to do a ground-up rewrite of the (now over a decade old) Avernum, using a much-improved engine and the really nice new Avernum 6 graphics.

So he plans to rerelease the avernum games using the engine made for his newer game?

Kraszu

Prophet
Huh?

1)I recall him saying in the past that there is no point in improving tactical combat becouse there is to few units = lack of any advanced tactics anyway.

2)In past blogs he also had said that there is no point in improving graphics becouse he can't compete with AAA titles anyway. Now he had said:
"Spiderweb Software is a small company. We make low-budget rpgs. There are some people who require graphics quality of the level of, say, Dragon Age or Fallout 3. I will never sell a game to those people, and I wish them well. But our recent games have still had big improvements in the visuals. Avernum 6, in particular, looks better than any game we've ever done, and our new game will be better. Not 30 million dollar budget better, but, yes, the pool of people who find the graphics reach the minimum standard should increase.

What, if anything, does the game offer to expand your current pool of customers?

Better graphics and a more streamlined game system. I've worked hard to have character development give a lot of cool choices without making it possible to make a weak or ineffective party."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom