Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Mass Effect 2: The Lost Numbers

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 2

1UP <a href="http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9021108">explains</a> Mass Effect 2.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">In the meantime, I think Mass Effect 2 is a much purer realization of BioWare's original vision for the series. This is where the "Mac" part of the equation starts to come into play. The stats are still there, but they've been well-hidden. Glance at the information window, and you might notice that various weapons have better armor penetration, or work well against shields. Armor accessories will add damage to headshots, or change the shield recharge rate.
<br>
<br>
In a normal RPG, these would be rendered as individual statistics. In Mass Effect 2, they are rendered as nice, friendly percentage points. As with a Mac, a player can remain blissfully unaware of everything that's going on under the hood while using a system that still has a fair amount of utility.
<br>
</p>
<br>
Percentage points are still numbers, silly. I have an idea how to improve on this system. Just scrap the numbers altogether and make it colors. Green for very good weapon, yellow for meh weapons, red for the poor weapons you start with at lvl1.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">Beyond that, I actually don't mind having a weapons locker rather than a straight-up inventory. It's not like the original game had consumables or anything, you just sort of collected guns and ammo to equip to your character. The changes in Mass Effect 2 have kind of forced me to think more carefully about which guns I want to bring with me for a mission, even if I'm only really thinking about which heavy weapon I want.
<br>
</p>
<br>
I've been a bit overwhelmed too with all that choices regarding weaponry. Do I take the sniper-rifle with 10 shots, or rather the sniper-rifle with 70 shots? Do I take a shitty heavy weapon with me, or rather the best one aka Collector laser? That's really a lot to consider.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">That said, it's not "deep" in the traditional sense, but it was never really meant to be. It was always meant to be an accessible, entertaining shooter that was still an RPG. And make no mistake, dear readers, Mass Effect 2 is definitely an RPG. The team building, customization, and general "roleplaying" are all right there. It's just not a game where you ever have to fiddle with command line, as it were.
<br>
</p>
<br>
Team building, customization (armor colors etc) and *general roleplaying*.
<br>
I'd like to add that you can <a href="">upgrade your ship and grab weapons off the rack.</a>
<br>
<br>
RPG = Romance Planning Game
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/96928-mass-effect-2-biowares-irpg.html">GB</A>

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unfortunately, some people don't know the difference between different lines of voiced dialogue and true C&C.

Given, the end really is C&C with consequences you don't see coming from miles away. I really didn't expect to be "offered" the possibility to go all martyr.
But that's about it. Everything else is just a straightforward line.

Rhalle

Magister
JarlFrank said:
nice, friendly percentage points :lol:

As someone said elsewhere, it runs in the background unobtrusively not because it is so well designed that it is invisible, but because they don't really matter.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
ME2 is dumbed down yet still a vastly superior rpg than most rpgs. *cough* GB games *cough*

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
There are percentages for weapon effectiveness? I played ME2 for 40 hours and didn't notice that.

Elzair

Cipher
Honestly, the elimination of number-crunching is not necessarily a bad thing. There are some people who believe that stats actually get in the way of the game, and they should be hidden from the player. Bioware's elimination of all the other elements I liked about RPGs mattered far more to me.

Silellak

Cipher
Elzair said:
Honestly, the elimination of number-crunching is not necessarily a bad thing. There are some people who believe that stats actually get in the way of the game, and they should be hidden from the player. Bioware's elimination of all the other elements I liked about RPGs mattered far more to me.
Out of curiosity, what RPG features were removed from ME2 that you liked in ME1?

roll-a-die

Magister
Iliked the mako sections and the inventory. Also the option to fucking omnigel through the minigames.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
roll-a-die said:
Iliked the mako sections and the inventory.

0/10

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom