Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Brian Fargo + Bethesda = Wasteland 2?

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Brian Fargo; Wasteland 2

You may remember that Brian Fargo once <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17848" target="blank">declared his interest</a> in making a sequel to <b><a href="http://wasteland.wikia.com/wiki/Wasteland_Wiki" target="blank">Wasteland</a></b>. Now Duck & Cover is <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23768" target="blank">reporting</a> that:
<br>
<blockquote>After some investigating, DAC has discovered that Fargo has been on a press tour of Europe. When asked what he is promoting on the tour, he responded:
<br>
<br>
"My Chippendales calendar ;) actually our game that we are doing for Bethesda that has been under wraps for a couple years." 18 Feb 2010</blockquote>
<br>
In case you've never visited the site for <a href="http://inxile-entertainment.com/" target="blank">inXile</a>, Brian's company, I recommend that you do and pay attention to the <a href="http://inxile-entertainment.com/images/current3.jpg" target="blank">header art</a>.
<br>
<br>
<i>Thanks to KoC for the tip</i>

Jason said:
I recommend that you do and pay attention to the header art.

The header art has been up there for a few years now. I'm still wondering how, if what Fargo said is true, Bethesda would publish two games that are so similar to one another.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I haven't played Wasteland either, hence I've two questions:

1) What's the difference between Wasteland and Fallout?
2) I found Bard's Tale on Steam. Anybody care to write down a short summary? Is it recommendable?

Morgoth said:
1) What's the difference between Wasteland and Fallout?

Fallout is the spiritual successor to Wasteland. Fallout was originally going to be a sequel to it, but they couldn't get the rights.

Put it this way...Wasteland has more in common with Fallout than Fallout does with Fallout 3.

Ged

Novice
Morgoth said:
2) I found Bard's Tale on Steam. Anybody care to write down a short summary? Is it recommendable?

Utterly boring H&S clickfest. Not recommended.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Beth would be publisher. InXile would be the development studio.
Did I get that right?
Is publisher Beth always as fucked up as with Star Trek: Legacy?

entertainer

Arbiter
but it would sell and get 10/10 reviews with bethesda no matter "good rpg" or not

Shannow said:
Is publisher Beth always as fucked up as with Star Trek: Legacy?

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth was published by them and the indie devs went bankrupt 1 year after

Wise Emperor

Arcane
Bethesda already should drop the name Wasteland 2 and name it Game of the Year.

-HEY GUISE I BOUGHT GAME OF THE YEAR FOR MY NEW xBAWKS!

-WHATS THE NAME OF IT?

-GAME OF THE YEAR! DUH!

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Morgoth said:

Game is diablo-clone, so it's boring except... it has great humour and I had great fun playing it just for that humour. I did not regret buying this game, so I'd say - buy it. But not if you expect cRPG.

Tails

Arbiter
Great news to read in morning, thanks Jason. The only thing to hope it's not Wasteland 2, but some other game. I remember that in past Brian Fargo talk about he is going to work on RTS.

Multi-headed Cow

Konjad said:
Morgoth said:

Game is diablo-clone, so it's boring except... it has great humour and I had great fun playing it just for that humour. I did not regret buying this game, so I'd say - buy it. But not if you expect cRPG.
Kinda agree with this. I wish The Bard was the hero of almost all RPGs, he was more likable than most. Need Tony Jay's zombie to be the narrator in more games, too. And the main character needs to interact with the narrator, and damn it all I had fun.

Ausir

Arcane
King of Creation said:
Jason said:

The header art has been up there for a few years now. I'm still wondering how, if what Fargo said is true, Bethesda would publish two games that are so similar to one another.

Couple of months, actually. Wasteland-themed header art only appeared there in July.

Wise Emperor said:
I always thought EA owns rights to Wasteland. My bad.
Neither Bethesda or EA will make "good rpg" out of Wasteland franchise. Even if Fargo is involved.

inXile owns the Wasteland trademark now. See:

http://wasteland.wikia.com/wiki/Wasteland_2_FAQ

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth was published by them and the indie devs went bankrupt 1 year after

But it was a fucking awesome game, mostly. It didn't sell well because only about half of the game has anything to with a shooter. The rest is investegating and haulin' ass when you're hunted by unknown entities. The game is scary as hell, and has the best implementation of a health-system I've ever seen. Only thing missing are permanent sanity-drops.

Ausir said:
King of Creation said:
Jason said:

Couple of months, actually. Wasteland-themed header art only appeared there in July.
Really? I thought the header art was what inspired me to ask him about Wasteland in the first place back in 2007.

Edit: Oh yeah, just looked back at the news archives. I could have sworn there was something about the inXile website back in 2007 that made me ask him about it.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
inXile did Super Stacker 2? Wow! That's a great game! I loved it! I'm pretty confident they won't mess up Wasteland 2.

Rhalle

Magister
Wasteland is far more primitive than Fallout; it came out seven years before it. The guts of it are more like an old Ultima game.

But it is the first cRPG that does the post-apocalyptic adventure thing and matches that with black humor and inside jokes and over-the-top violence; in that way it is the spiritual successor to Fallout, primarily in setting and tone.

Edit: nine years...not seven-- and that's just publication date. WL was begun in 1986-- more than 10 years before Fallout.

Here's a good history site: http://wasteland.rockdud.net/wasteland.html

Here's a little review: http://game-over.net/retro/may/wasteland.html

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Wise Emperor said:
Bethesda already should drop the name Wasteland 2 and name it Game of the Year.

-HEY GUISE I BOUGHT GAME OF THE YEAR FOR MY NEW xBAWKS!

-WHATS THE NAME OF IT?

-GAME OF THE YEAR! DUH!
:lol:

InExile have such an amazing catalog:

Shape Shape
Platform: Web, iPhone

Line Rider

Super Stacker 2
Platform: Web

Line Rider 2: Unbound
Platform: PC, Wii, DS

Fantastic Contraption

The Bard's Tale
Platform: PS2, XBOX, PC, STEAM

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
You gotta start small these days, because money is hard to come by.

Of course they could have started with some hardcore iso-TB PC-only cRPG, but then they would go bankrupt. End of story.

Best luck for Wasteland 2. Jason Anderson works there too, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Morgoth said:

Of course they could have started with some hardcore iso-TB PC-only cRPG, but then they would go bankrupt. End of story.
That's true.

Morgoth said:

Best luck for Wasteland 2. Jason Anderson works there too, so I'm cautiously optimistic.
Reminds me of the LP thread for that game developer simulator. Was pretty cool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom