Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Interplay dead?

Ausir

Arcane
Tags: Interplay

According to Odin's mysterious source, <a target=_blank href=http://www.interplay.com>Interplay</a> is most likely dead:
<br>
<ul><i>Everyone was sent home today. There is likely now money coming for the late payroll and bankruptcy is likely being filed this week.</i></ul>
<br>
Looks like I've won the <a target=_blank href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=35702#35702>death betting poll</a>!
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com">No Mutants Allowed</A>

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Let him win. It's for a good cause :twisted:

j/k. As much as i dislike IPLY, i'm sorry its demise had to take the jobs of its workers. Hopefully, all o'them will find a job soon, and Caen will be gang-raped by kobold demons, with Darth Molitor serving as their fluffer.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm not sure how to feel about the workers at Interplay. It's kind of like feeling sorry for the people who live next to a volcano. The geologists show up and tell them the volcano is about to wake up and spew death, fire, and ash all over the country side for several hundred miles and they refuse to move. You feel bad for them, but you can't stop thinking, Why didn't they just leave the mountain?

Hopefully they'll just move on to something better. Well, except Darth Molitor. I hope he becomes a crack whore.

taks

Liturgist
same reason people live in a desert... because it's their home. not a great excuse, that's for sure, but you still can't help feeling bad for those folks.

taks

Sammael

Liturgist
About damned time. And if the employees didn't see this coming... well... they need to visit the optometrist.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
NMA update:

Pope Viper sent me a message about a mail he got from none other than Herve Caen himself, Pope asked about the IPLY forums being closed and here's Herve's response:

The message boards are temporarily down in an effort to save cash during our current cash crunch.

Here's also a summary from a guy on the Raging Bull forums (also found by Pope Viper):

I spoke with Luke Haase today, and he said that Vivendi and Avalon both owe Interplay money and that they are expecting payment from them sometime this week. Vivendi is currently going through a big transition in their management, and they are just now trying to catch up on things. Once Interplay receives the payments that are due to them, then they will make a formal announcement and immediately file with the SEC that they are now able to pay their rent, taxes, and payroll. They are expecting a payment in the range of 3 million dollars. Interplay is also right now in negotiations to sell an intellectual property to raise additional capital and has begun preliminary talks with several banks in order to raise money to fund all of their current and pending games.

Sigh, sounds more and more like the Caen brothers have milked IPLY for all it got and finally decided the end is near. And the heads at IPLY is desperately trying to stay afloat..or?

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Saint_Proverbius said:
I'm not sure how to feel about the workers at Interplay. It's kind of like feeling sorry for the people who live next to a volcano. The geologists show up and tell them the volcano is about to wake up and spew death, fire, and ash all over the country side for several hundred miles and they refuse to move. You feel bad for them, but you can't stop thinking, Why didn't they just leave the mountain?

Hopefully they'll just move on to something better. Well, except Darth Molitor. I hope he becomes a crack whore.

How's the job situation in the gaming industry? I imagine that a lot of people would have moved on if they could have found other employment (like Sawyer did for example) or had the means to start something of their own like Fergie and gang did. Then again, maybe they really did think that things would turn around, sometimes the closer you are to a situation the harder it is to see it for what it is, or however it is the cliché goes.

Rosh

Erudite
Finding a job is often hard if you want it at a particular place.

For people like Darth Interplay Molester (DIM for short), Herve, and Chuck Cuevas, the best case scenario would be for the hiring manager at their prospective company to take them into both the break and development rooms and point them out for public ridicule.

Seven

Erudite
Well hold on a sec, Iply hasn't exactly died yet; I mean the patient is still in its death throws. I thought we were looking for the day when Iply ceases to exist officially, right?

taks

Liturgist
if you're an airline, probably 30 years or more...

taks

Astromarine

Erudite
infinite. Mandrake filed for Chap11 and has just recently gone out of it and into profitability.

As for *dumbly-managed* companies though? dunno

Rosh

Erudite
The problem with this situation is that even if a company is doing bad, then there will be a lot of provisions for protection if the management is even halfway competent and trying. The tax fuck-up and more may cause them to lose a lot of the considerations, and with the Interplay-Titus bullshit, it's going to make it clear that Interplay was run pretty damn poorly as of late.

Seven

Erudite
I'm not too sure how it works, but doesn't a jugde or at least a committy have to form and decide on a case by case basis? So in this case management gets to present their case, and then go from there right?

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Quite a bit of companies file for 11 and end up doing ok, i think. There gonna blame the Fallout fans for all their problems.

DemonKing

Arcane
What a farce that whole financial statement thing was last week.

It was pretty clear to any CRPG fan that the final nail in Interplay's coffin was last year when they cancelled development of FO3 on the PC to concentrate on console titles.

That would be like Coke Cola bottlers stopping soft drink production to concentrate solely on bottled water.

Morons.

At least now maybe the FO licence will be sold off and there's a slim chance a half-decent company might pick it up.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Major_Blackhart said:
Anything new happening in their world that's worth reporting since this shit?

Well, there's supposed to be a big meeting tomorrow with all of Interplay's current employees, which is basically a meeting to see who gets laid off and who doesn't. I'm not sure where that meeting will be because unless IPLY coughs up all the back rent, it's HQ is supposed to be chained and locked by tomorrow by the leasors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom