Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News New rumor: Microsoft finally bought Bioware

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioWare

<a href=http://www.ferrago.com>Ferrago</a> is <a href=http://www.ferrago.com/story/3393>reporting</a> that <a href=http://www.microsoft.com/games>Microsoft Game Studios</a> is finalizing the acquisition of <a href=www.bioware.com>Bioware</a> and will make an official announcement shortly. <a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com>CVG</a> reported similar rumors in March stating that the acquisition is in process.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The latest issue of Polygon magazine is reporting an unnamed source from within Microsoft's Game Studios publishing division as stating that Redmond will imminently announce the finalisation of a Bioware purchase agreed. The continued rise of Microsoft within the industry will, rumour has it, be confirmed at E3 next month.
<br>
<br>
Being one of the most influential and successful RPG developers in the industry Bioware won't come cheap, though securing future Knights of the Old Republic and Neverwinter Nights games as Xbox exclusives could of course pay dividends for Gates and Co. too. Needless to say, such a bombshell as this would be Microsoft's 'big surprise' for E3, and would certainly steal some much needed limelight away from the new hardware due to be shown by rivals Nintendo and Sony.</blockquote> Another mistery to be revealed at E3
<br>
<br>

DemonKing

Arcane
*Sigh*

If this goes ahead we can look forward to some painful "CRPG" X-Box exclusives, I guess, which may, or may not, be followed up by shoddy PC ports ala KOTOR.

The PC CRPG field really is looking bleak these days, at least in terms of AAA developers producing them, that is.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I agree. SO, you better get workin'.

Anyways, do you REALLY have to posr rumours, myths, and innuendos? At least wait until it is *actually* news.

Voss

Erudite
DemonKing said:
*Sigh*

If this goes ahead we can look forward to some painful "CRPG" X-Box exclusives, I guess, which may, or may not, be followed up by shoddy PC ports ala KOTOR.

The PC CRPG field really is looking bleak these days, at least in terms of AAA developers producing them, that is.

Ah yes, those legendary AAA RPG developers. Like um, well, who, exactly?

suibhne

Erudite
DemonKing said:

More to the point, MS could be doing this now (IFF it's doing this now) to secure KotOR 2 as an XBox pesudo-exclusive with a PC port following a year or more later, a la Halo. It would be a good time to do it, as XBox prices are down and PC gamers might be lured over in greater numbers.

This could be good news for the PC RPG market as a whole, though. Maybe getting rid of Bioware (i.e., taking them out of the PC market, even partially) would open up some room for other projects and developers - you know, people who might actually make *real* RPGs. :P

Voss

Erudite
Kotor 2 probably would have been Xbox first then later PC, anyway, just like the first one. Toss in Jade Empire which is Xbox only...
And they have another unannounced console project. (Plus a PC one)

Well, lets just say I don't see any real change in their strategy if MS does buy them, at least over the next few years.

Hey, does MS still have a lot of the FASA compuiter rights? Maybe they'll give Bio the Shadowrun license...

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
The X-BOX is a big big failure for micro$oft.

They have lost something like 1 $ billion there.

With a little luck X-BOX 2 will be failure too and the Micro$oft noobs will get out of that Business.

suibhne

Erudite
Voss said:
Kotor 2 probably would have been Xbox first then later PC, anyway, just like the first one.

My point was this: The difference is between a 4-5 month lag, as with KotOR, and a nearly 2-year lag, as with Halo. When you're talking about a multiple-GotY award-winner like KotOR, announcing that the PC version will arrive over a year later may be a big incentive (for some) to get an XBox, especially as the price of the console is dropping.

This is all irrespective of our feelings about KotOR's qualities as an RPG. :x

johannesprix

Novice
End of Linux ports from Bioware

Hmmm, might this be a move to suppress further Linux support from Bioware, as NWN was brought out for Linux as well, fairly the only modern commercial RPG for that platform yet? That be the reason for the move or not, but *if* they really buy Bioware, it's *certain* there won't be any Linux ports from them any more.

Psilon

Erudite
(insert joke about Dungeon Siege being a half-assed xscreensaver port)

I'm not sure I'd take it that far. BioWare didn't really do much in the way of Linux support to begin with--the server was highly unstable, the toolset was AWOL, and the client took forever. I think they would have killed the Linux port if they could find an excuse, much like the BeOS port. Besides, did they say anything about a Linux version of KOTOR?

Seriously, commercial Linux gaming is pretty much limited to zealots, Quake 3, and UT2004. The FPSes arrived close enough to their Windows versions for people to get used to them on Linux, but the six-month-delay ports pretty much get bought on principle only. I use Linux, but the huge delay on the NWN client and lack of toolset meant that I played NWN on Windows first. Then I got bored with it, and gave up about a week after the Linux client arrived. As a result, the BioWare server statistics no doubt count me as a Windows-only user. That's one more reason for them not to bother porting future games to Linux.

triCritical

Erudite
This is great news. Because while I have no philisophical problems with Bioware, other then their games normally suck, I would never buy a game from the antichrist. Hence, I would never, ever in a millions years have to sit through another Bioware game.

YIPPEEEEEEE!

Seven

Erudite
Volourn said:
I agree. SO, you better get workin'.

Anyways, do you REALLY have to posr rumours, myths, and innuendos? At least wait until it is *actually* news.

I thought it was agreed in a previous thread that these qualify as news.

On a side note, I doubt this true, but stranger things have happened. Maybe they'll buy Iply next.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Agreed by who? Certainly not me except in rare exceptions

The chances of it being true is the chance of me being a genius. ie. Very low.

Rumours like Obsidian devloping KOTRO2 actually has some logic, and whats eem to be semi reliable soruces here. This one is some lame one. Not to mention, if rumours were to be believed, MS has owned BIo for over a year now. :roll:

Whipporowill

Erudite
Volourn said:
if rumours were to be believed, MS has owned BIo for over a year now. :roll:

Heh. I'm actually find myself agreeing with Vollie on this one - so either it's been in the works for a long time or it's just a rehash of an old rumour. We should probably have a news item called "RUMER" or something for these highly unsubstantiated thingies...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom