Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Going Crazy for Cyclopean

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Cyclopean; Iron Tower

Iron Tower's Scott had a little <a href="http://www.criticalgamer.co.uk/2010/02/08/cyclopean-iron-tower-studio-interview/" target="blank">chat with Critical Gamer</a> about the upcoming <b><a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,481.0.html" target="blank">Cyclopean</a></b>.
<br>
<blockquote>CG: Will we see systems like insanity coming into play, where coming into contact with otherwordly creatures can have traumatic psychological effects on our characters?
<br>
<br>
Scott: Absolutely. The Sanity stat is critical to gameplay because of the subject matter. It is also unusual in that it must be carefully maintained. There aren’t any blue potions or post-combat regeneration in this game. A small amount of Sanity can be recovered through sleep. Other methods to recover lost Sanity involve drugs, which have side effects and are sometimes addictive, and staying at the Asylum, which is expensive.
<br>
<br>
There is another –and I think wholly original– system indirectly related to Sanity. Exposure to Mythos creatures and events earns (curses?) the player Mythos points. Mythos points have one effect, which is that once they exceed maximum Sanity, the player becomes Corrupted and is able to see through the tenuous tissue separating the world of men from other dimensions overlapping our own. While this means that more and different things are revealed to the player, it also can be very taxing on one’s sanity. However, a player who pledges his services to the Great Old Ones can avoid some of the harsher penalties of insanity while still being Corrupted. Mythos points cannot be reduced and Corruption is irreversible.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
<i>Thanks to Jockie for the info</i>

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I will allow myself to yearn for this game. When it comes out in 2029 or whatever.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'd say it all sounds perfect. Too perfect to ever be real? We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

sheek

Arbiter
Unfortunately it is being built on AoD's engine (if it is ever completed)

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, wtf?
Doesn't racism fit perfectly into that time period?...

I mean, I can see why it is not of major importance, but still. I just fear that they might try to pretend it's not even there.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
*gigantic boner*

I am so looking forward to this. Sadly, more so than AoD, just because of the setting.

Cassidy

Arcane
This game just seems perfect for adding a Multiheaded dick Easter Egg because of its setting.

Also I'd say it could be better than Age of Decadence if the source is well used, and also because of the experience already acquired from developing and receiving feedback regarding AoD. It's more interesting of a setting than "Post-Apocalyptic Ancient Age Low Fantasy" is IMO.

However, I hope that this remains purely as a concept until AoD is released, unless Thursday after ITZ is supposed to be the release date for both.

Melcar

Arcane
Lots of pretty promises that warm my lazy heart. Hope for the best, thought my Codex powers tell me that it will probably be shit in the end.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
This seems interesting.
I would actually love to play a game like this.

I was intrigued by The legacy, thanks to the let's play done by the cat but that's too hurtful on my eyes, unfortunately.

I sincerely hope it will be done as the interview suggest, tho.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Haba said:
Racism isn’t addressed in Cyclopean, but there will be black and Asian NPCs, as well as the ability to choose different skin tones for your own character.

:decline:
What? Lovecraft was rabidly racist and racism greatly influenced his works.
Also, if it happens in the first half of the XX century, racism should be a part of society.

Pliskin

Arbiter
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Haba said:
Racism isn’t addressed in Cyclopean, but there will be black and Asian NPCs, as well as the ability to choose different skin tones for your own character.

:decline:
Also, if it happens in the first half of the XX century, racism should be a part of society.

Yah, hard to see the PC doing his Extreme Shephard Collar Grabbing (tm) routine as a black / azn in 1920's America. I believe the lynching was still a popular form of saturday night entertainment, back in the day.

Awor Szurkrarz said:

I take it you're an expert on the subject. Some of us less informed could say Lovecraft's "rabid" racism was of the H. L. Mencken variety, that is to say, he disliked pretty much everyone equally and was suspicious of the human race in general. You might argue his views were somewhat tame for the period standards and largely restricted to his correspondence. At least he wrote a great deal more about ignorant inbred rural whites of New England than about all other races and nationalities put together.

As for racism in the society, this should probably play a prominent role if the game was set in, for instance, Mississippi as opposed to Rhode Island. I'm not saying it wasn't part of the society, or that Lovecraft didn't have racist views. It could be interesting to have this reflected in the game somehow. I just think it's a stupid thing to jump at and criticize, especially in such an overblown way. Cyclopean focuses on the mythos and looks really promising at that.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Still, if you can play a black character set in that time period, and everyone treats the same as if you were a white character, then I'd say that's a problem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom