Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout: New Vegas Infos surfaced

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

Duck and Cover <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23694">comprehensively lists</a> information regarding Obsidian's Elder Scrolls mod Fallout: New Vegas.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23694">DAC</A>

unmastered

Educated
One of the screenshots has a Super Mutant with a blonde wig and pink heart-shaped glasses.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Looks like mostly good news. Anyway, the breakdown for me:

* There is an optional hardcore mode, the character needs to drink water, ammo has weight, healing isn't instant etc. Normal mode is more similar to Fallout 3 gameplay.
Good.

* The storyline is focused on the New California Republic vs. Caesar's Legion vs. New Vegas residents.
So based on faction relations? Also good.

* You are not a vault dweller but are given a Pip-Boy by someone who is one.
I like this. It's about time they changed that up.

* There is an assault rifle looking like the M4, as well as a new big gun with a backpack, held like a minigun.
So...does the backpack automatically "pop in" when you select the gun?

* There are special moves for melee weapons in VATS - specifically a move for a golf club called "Fore" which seems to be a groin shot.
Special moves is good.

* There is a quest to rescue a ghoul from some super mutants. The ghoul can then become your companion
I like this.

* There are both dumb and intelligent super mutants, including the elite Nightkin.
Sounds good.

* Some super mutants look similar to the ones in Fallout 3, while others are new. There is e.g. a female super mutant with a 1950s hairstyle who apparently is one of their leaders.
That's...interesting. Could either work well or not.

* Some location screenshots include a huge model dinosaur advertising a hotel, some satellite dishes, an array of solar panels
So this game will have some high-tech. I think this is good as long as it's handled correctly. And of course as long as it's offset by low-tech environments.

* A character generation shot showing a "vigour machine" instead of the skill book
???

* NCR base is the McCarran Airport, Caesar's Legion is based in the Vegas Strip, while super mutants are based in a place called Black Mountain. There is also a town called Fremont and another called Primm. A topless reuve is mentioned as being in the latter. Area 51 also appears.
Are these all the locations?

* Skils have a bigger effect on conversation choices. E.g. someone with a high Explosives skill may be able to have a coversation about explosives where appropriate.
Nice.

* There is a Reputation system in adition to Karma.
Also nice.

- First-person action RPG with the same engine as Fallout 3 (sorry, Van Buren fans).
Was expected.

- Set in the Mojave wastelands. Vegas didn't get many nukes. More intact buildings, as well as desert vegetation. Vegas itself is mostly intact.
Well, makes sense that not everywhere would get that many nukes. I think I like this idea.

- You don't play a Vault Dweller (or descendant of one) but a courier, left for dead and saved by a friendly robot.
I like this change. I wonder who you're a courier for. And the most important question is: are all ties broken at the beginning of the game or do you continue working for your employer?

- The overarching story is a struggle between the locals, Caesar's Legion (a faction of slavers from the east) and the New Californian Republic. Vegas itself is mostly intact.
I like this focus. Would have been nice though if Caesar's Legion was more morally ambiguous instead of being obviously evil.

- All dialogue options are shown to all players, regardless of whether you have the stats to succeed or not, though there's no punishment for failure.
Okay, it looks like Sawyer cleared this up a little.

Each skill-based dialogue option has two different texts: one for high skill (which will result in success) and one for low skill (which will result in failure). If you do not meet the required threshold, you see the latter.
There are a few reasons for including this:

In the same way that a locked safe beyond your Lockpicking skill indicates, it lets the player know that there's an option here.
Some of the NPC responses to low skill checks can be pretty entertaining.
I also do want to clarify what is meant by "no penalty for failure". All it means is that you won't wind up in a worse position than you were before selecting it. If a dude bursts in and is intent on killing you, he's still going to want to kill you if you fail the Speech check to talk him out of it.
I don't like the idea of two different dialogues. Seems like it might be easy to guess whether you'll pass or fail just by reading the option.

- Bartering is not just lower prices but negotiating for better rewards.
Nice. Why didn't they think of this before?

- VATS returns, and melee weapons have special moves in it. The golf club has "Fore!", which is a shot to the golf balls (so to speak) that knocks the opponent down. Weapons also now have knock-back upon death, with shotguns sending mans flying.
Good...I think.

- Super Mutants return, but in two varieties - the smarter ones from Fallout 1, and the idiot ones from Fallout 2. On at least one occasion you can convince them to fight amongst themselves.
I like this.

- Followers can be managed through a context-sensitive menu, with orders like "follow", "stay" or "attack".
So, followers are back. Could be good, or bad.

- Hardcore Mode! In this mode, Stimpacks heal over time (as opposed to instantly), combat is tougher, ammo has weight and you can suffer dehydration, so keep some water on you!
Good. The water thing could also make radiation more dangerous.

One of the screenshots has a Super Mutant with a blonde wig and pink heart-shaped glasses.
Umm...maybe one of the dumber ones, I could see this.

Still, they haven't answered the biggest question yet: open-world or linear? Judging from this it looks like it may be open-world. Not sure I like that based on the short development time. Sure, they have the engine, but I still think they'd have a better chance at making a fully polished linear game.

Big Nose George

Educated

I see, Obsidian learned from their masters how recycle worthless characters.

45617_orig.jpg

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Vegas sounds like it has some nice ideas, here's hoping we get a good Fallout game.

lol at the Alpha Protocol screenshot. Wearing a tank top in cold, windy weather with snow everywhere. Smart woman.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Most screenshots I've seen of AP so far are so stupid I just KNOW I must acquire a copy of the game as soon as is physically possible. And legally too. I love funny spy action.

New Vegas, on the other hand... Well, I'm sure it'll be AWESOME.

Yes, Andyman the Obsidian fanboyhorse reporting in.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
[Explosives] So you fight the good fight with your voice on the Galaxy News Radio.

I'm sure Obsidian will provide better dialogue (it'd be next to impossible not to), but they're still stuck with the shitty fucking combat engine from F3.

bat_boro

Arcane
btw, the clothes that this chick is wearing in the snow aren't that out of place for a Russian native. My roommate is half Russian and he's lived there for 4 or 5 years when he was like 7 or 8. He said where he'd lived, temperatures around - 20 or even - 30 C weren't something uncommon. He said he'd been wearing just a regular jacket and a shirt underneath. Plus I've seen people wearing t-shirts in Moscow in the cold, so I guess it's possible.

But the pink glasses and the lipstick are taking it too far, I think

The M4 looks really retarded in the Fallout setting. Haven't they learned their lesson from Fallout 2? Fallout and real life guns don't mix well at all.

Big Nose George

Educated
Droog White Smile said:
The M4 looks really retarded in the Fallout setting. Haven't they learned their lesson from Fallout 2? Fallout and real life guns don't mix well at all.

Holy shit. I thought that too. Disagree about F2.

t3.png

likaq

Arcane
Droog White Smile said:

This.

Also, this mutie looks like shit. Blonde hair? :lol: ,what are they thinking?

A Wild Penis

Novice
obDv9.jpg

Pw3fs.jpg

5cWxv.jpg

Enjoy massive non-thumbnailed images you fucking faggots

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom