Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Alpha Protocol Preview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Alpha Protocol; Obsidian Entertainment

Dualshockers have a few early <a href="http://dualshockers.com/2010/02/sega-nyc-media-day-alpha-protocol-impressions/">Alpha Protocol impressions.</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">The gameplay that we we saw took place in a desert town in Saudi Arabia, where our protagonist Agent Michael Thorton was on the trail of a known arms dealer in the area. Right away, one of the things you immediately notice is how good this game looks. I asked what engine the game was running and when Matthew said it was the Unreal Engine my jaw dropped, to which he replied “yeah, I know”. Now I am well aware that many games these days run on the Unreal Engine, the thing is, that when it’s brought up in conversation the first thing you think about are the dark and gritty color palettes like the one found in Gears of War. For Alpha Protocol however everything is bright, lush, and rich in detail.</p>
<br>
tl;dr: orsum graffix
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">Speaking of choices, the game’s narrative is heavily influenced by the many choices you make. Here’s a brief breakdown of what I mean. Let’s say I’m Saudi Arabia tracking down gun runner “A”, who has information on where I can find gun runner “B”. Now depending on how I deal with “A” will determine how “B” will in-turn deal with me. If I simply arrest A, then B might be okay with exchanging information with me. If I kill A, then B might not be so hot about telling me anything as he’ll think I’m going to kill him anyway. I hope you guys understood all of that. Moral decision making is an aspect of gaming that has become more frequent in the current console generation, nevertheless I think that AP, is the first title to truly hit the nail on the head.</p>
<br>
I didn't understand. :confuse:
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#14333">RPGWatch</A>

Mortmal

Arcane
he's talking to a mainstream reviewer, he must be really carefull , TWo choices ! its not sure the guy can handle such freedom.Hey if they fire the writer now working at double bear theres a reason, they cant afford bad reviews, three or four choices and the reviewer get an headache.
I told you ME2 combat system is deep and strategic for most people nowadays, trust me :)

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Jesus fucking christ, Obsidian. You've been using that fucking arms dealer example since the game was announced. If the game has a shitload of meaningful choices then prove it, and stop just repeating the same thing over.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Speaking of completists, in the main menu, where you equip your weapon load outs as well as disperse your experience points you’ll have access to some serious in-depth stat tracking. In it you can track pretty much anything you do in the game. One of the funnier stats that we had a really quick peek of while Matthew was scrolling through the list was: number of orphans created. Best. Stat. Ever.

... :roll:

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Felix said:
more and you start to scream: "SPOILAH!"
No. Moar examples, and I'd start to believe that maybe they actually have something that could be good. But all I've been seeing is the same kind of shit we got with Fallout 3's hype: the same one or two examples used constantly and a lot of "trust us, the game will be good" nonsense.

Longshanks

Augur
^^Such reactions are claimed to be a game-wide consideration, not not just a single example:
Here you go...

Chris Avellone said:
In Alpha Protocol, the cause and effect breaks down into your objective, the means, the results, and then someone’s reaction (and the results/reactions usually spur different objectives, and… and well, the vicious cycle continues). In short, the way you treat someone sends ripples outwards, and others agents and figures in the espionage community may either disapprove of your methods (loudly or quietly or with a fake smile as they’re slowly drawing the gun from their jacket), or they may like the fact you stomped over someone to get where you needed to go. Even your bitterest rivals may respect the fact that you keep your mission in mind… no matter how many of your allies lie dead on the battlefield once you leave.
As such, it's probably easier to break down Alpha Protocol character motivations into the following bullets rather than just good or bad or "they're on your side" or "they're shooting at you" (which can flip a lot and is equally meaningless), so here are a few of the driving forces behind the personalities in Alpha Protocol:

• A fascination with modern-day psychohistory.
• Freedom to act without having to report back to someone.
• Respect and trust of their superior.
• Beating the national pride drum.
• Job security.
• That nebulous belief in the "greater good."
• Boredom.
• Acquire as much cash and toys as possible, and the faster and shinier the better.
• Drugs and nostalgia.
• Continuing the grand old tradition.
• Basic human decency.
• Global economic voyeurism.
• The feeling of control.
• To be valued.
• Some are just plain nuts with a capital "nut."
• Instinct. Reason doesn't factor into it. After all, reason is a form of conditioning invented by Stalin... the 1730's Stalin, not the "Communist" one in the "history" books.
• And finally, some want to be left alone.
• As for you...

We track all this and so do the individuals in the game. Whatever your motivation and theirs, one thing’s for sure – as much as you can do research on the Alpha Protocol cast of characters in the game, turnabout is fair play. They’ll gather intel on you. They’ll talk to the same contacts you do. They’ll evaluate how you do things. They’ll check to see who you’ve made “friends” with, how invisible/visible you’ve been on your operations, how you dealt with contacts and what intel you’ve uncovered, and make their judgments. Even people that might be the spy equivalent of Lawful Good could still end up trying to shoot you if they don’t understand your choices – or if they understand the repercussions more than you do.
Link

From what they're saying, character disposition seems more fleshed out than in most games. Still waiting to see how it turns out, but there are definitely some positive signs for this game.

Edit: something even more specific...
Nathan Davis said:
Early in Rome, I was able to accomplish a few missions without laying a single finger on anybody. It's all about avoidance. I eventually got in touch with guy running the show in Rome and had a conversation with him about what exactly is happening there. At one point, he basically tells me that 'they didn't even know I was in Rome.' I got some positive reputation points with him and the unmistakable feeling of being badass.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Fat Dragon said:
Jesus fucking christ, Obsidian. You've been using that fucking arms dealer example since the game was announced. If the game has a shitload of meaningful choices then prove it, and stop just repeating the same thing over.

Yeah, this is like Megaton all over again.

The Wizard

Educated
Vaarna_Aarne said:
PlanHex said:
Jaesun said:
Still looking forward to this. :D
Good to hear I'm not the only one.
Yea. Especially since this is the first Obsidian game that most likely won't have technical issues and is finished all the way.
ahahahahaAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

somehow they will manage to open a portal to the realm of complete fuckedness.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Longshanks said:
^^Such reactions are claimed to be a game-wide consideration, not not just a single example:
Here you go...

I wasn't the least bit interested in this game until your post.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom