Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bethsoft vs Interplay : The Battle continues

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Interplay

Duck and Cover uncovers <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23672">new information</a> about this epic struggle. Herve is not happy.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">Duck and Cover has obtained Interplay's latest court filing in its battle with Bethesda. This filing is a 17 page statement from Interplay CEO Herve Caen, and he is not very happy at all with Bethesda's conduct during the case. The filing mostly summarizes Interplay's legal arguments, but also allows Herve Caen to publically take shots at Bethesda. We also learn a bit more about Fallout Online's development status, including how fleshed out the game world is.</p>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">The TLA requires Interplay to begin "full-scale development within two years of its effective date, April 4, 2007, but does not define what this means.
<br>
<br>
To create its MMOG, Interplay spent more than a year in pre-production. It hired the game designers from the original Fallout game to work on the game design. Interplay hired artists to create concept art for reference during production...Interplay also hired writers to work on the MMOG's story line. The current game design document is more than 600 pages long and describes background material, such as the game world, characters, creatures, weapons, equipment, back story and other key concepts concerning game play.
<br>
<br>
In conjunction with Earthrise, Masthead has already developed a proprietary MMOG engine and software tool sets over a period of several years and at an equivalent cost of several million U.S. dollars. Masthead has also developed its own networking software to permit thousands of simultaneous connections to and interactions with the game world. Interplay licensed Masthead's technology and hired it as a contractor to perform software programming and some game design services under Interplay's direction and control.</p>
<br>
<br>
Fair enough, and even better:
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">It is interesting that in or about August 2007, just four months after Interplay had entered into the TLA with Bethesda, Bethesda's parent compabny, ZeniMax Media LLC, announced the creation of its own MMOG development house, ZeniMax Online Studios. Based on Bethesda's subsequent conduct it thus appears that Bethesda never intended to permit Interplay to develop an MMOG under the terms of the TLA and planned from the outset to terminate Interplay's rights and grant them instead to affiliated ZeniMax Online Studios for a Fallout MMOG.
<br>
Bethesda's attempt to terminate the MMOG rights undert the TLA is consistent with its overall conduct designed to interfere with Interplay's exploitation of rights granted undert the parties' agreements, including Interplay's Merchandising Rights to the Interplay-developed Pre-existing Fallout Games.</p>
<br>
<br>
Which side will prevail and bring the most anticipated Fallout MMO into life?
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23672">DAC</A>

ElectricOtter

here's hoping that they both die in a fire and the Fallout MMORPG is lost in time

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm not going to join in on the whole "omfg VoD is posting news how dare he everyone knows the Codex is not for newspostings lulz ME2Dex more like amirite" shit, because awesome good job on all the newsposting, VoD, but...

Interplay vs Bethesda, really? I could understand posting big results, but this is essentially a case about an MMO. Since when has the Codex cared about those?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Silellak said:
Is it possible to entirely avoid combat in Fallout Online?

No. You have to fight the urge to commit terrorist attacks on a couple of corporate headquaters.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm not going to join in on the whole...
And yet you just joined.

Of course you're right - instead of posting news about the latest Biogames, or about mundane crap like this interplay stuff, I should instead try to post more of the abundant news about all these great current RPGs out there. Or I should post more indie news. Those threads are very popular - as everyone who looks at the number of replies to these threads and the lively discussion going on in there can clearly see. My fault.

But fear not, as soon as Bethsoft releases their next installment I will focus on that and everyone will be happy.

PS: Send me a list with topics I'm entitled to post news about.

LazyD

Liturgist
Got my fingers crossed for BethesDUH to get 3rd degree burns in this bout!

edit:

Since when did Brother none give a shit what went on @ the codex at all??

Go back to theory crafting fallout canon perhaps? LOLOL

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Of course you're right - instead of posting news about the latest Biogames, or about mundane crap like this interplay stuff, I should instead try to post more of the abundant news about all these great current RPGs out there. Or I should post more indie news. Those threads are very popular - as everyone who looks at the number of replies to these threads and the lively discussion going on in there can clearly see. My fault.

But fear not, as soon as Bethsoft releases their next installment I will focus on that and everyone will be happy.

You're targeting the wrong person to be snippy against. As far as I know, RPGCodex has never been interested in following MMOs or, I dunno, jRPGs. If I'm wrong, fair enough, I didn't know policies had changed, if I'm not, then try to keep your menstrual fluids in check, or at least consider whether or not most of what you just said is actually aimed at me.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Brother None said:
You're targeting the wrong person to be snippy against.
It was not specifically aimed at you but rather at the whiner crowd as a whole.

Brother None said:
As far as I know, RPGCodex has never been interested in following MMOs or, I dunno, jRPGs.
1) There's a MMORPG subforum
2) This is not MMO news but rather news about 2 companies, both behind past RPGs

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
That was my thought too. Anything concerning this case is I think newsworthy because the outcome could effect many things including the future of the Fallout franchise as well as of Bethesda and Interplay.

Ausir

Arcane
Here's a summary with some more details, as well as quotes from correspondence between Herve and Bethesda's reps:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog ... t_revealed
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog ... e_unveiled

Date: Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:52 PM

[...]

We intend to issue such press release at 9:00am eastern tomorrow.
Sincerely,
Hervé

Date: Friday, July 25, 2008 8:48 AM

Hervé,
This is to advise you that the revised press release is not approved and is
in violation of the 2007 Asset Purchase Agreement.
Grif

Brother None said:
Interplay vs Bethesda, really? I could understand posting big results, but this is essentially a case about an MMO. Since when has the Codex cared about those?

The MMO is only part of that. There is also the issue of rights to distribute the pre-existing Fallout games, which the Codex does care about.

Pablosdog

Prophet
I'm interested in hearing about what will happen next, but it's still a fight between two colossal douche turds.

Also, Brother None actually gets a lot of respect in the fallout community, so if anyone would know anything about Fallout related news, it would be either Him or Ausir.

kris

Arcane
Brother None said:
I'm not going to join in on the whole "omfg VoD is posting news how dare he everyone knows the Codex is not for newspostings lulz ME2Dex more like amirite" shit, because awesome good job on all the newsposting, VoD, but...

We all hope that this will the fire that consumes then both which really is relevant for single player RPG games too... More or less.

VentilatorOfDoom said:
I'm not going to join in on the whole...
And yet you just joined.

PS: Send me a list with topics I'm entitled to post news about.

I like your flood of news, VoD. It's better to pick and choose which ones interest me than having one every few days. It's not like I can's skip the ones I dont care about, anyway

Secretninja

Cipher
As far as I am concerned, Bethesda deserves to own the old Fallout games, since they took those fugly pieces of shit and made the masterpiece that is Fallout 3. I mean, they have worked hard enough, don't you think?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom