Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News DA - Return to Ostagar Review

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

Some <a href="http://greywardens.com/2010/01/review-return-to-ostagar/">fansite reviews</a> BioWares first post-releaseday DLC Return to Ostagar scoring it 7/10.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">Return to Ostagar is not about the deep emotional development of characters, nor is it about beautiful environments. It is about a tradition as old as roleplaying games themselves. It is about booting down the door, killing the monsters, and nicking their stuff. It is about loot, levels and being the biggest bad-ass you can be.</p>
<br>
<br>
More darkspawns to kill? I can hardly wait.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#14299">RPGWatch</A>

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Is it me or all DLC, not just those for DA, are primarily about killing some more stuff despite other strenghts the original game may have?

Murk

Arcane
Gragt said:
Is it me or all DLC, not just those for DA, are primarily about killing some more stuff despite other strenghts the original game may have?

easy money? all the resources are there - i'm sure making game areas populated with enemies is the easiest form of module-creation there is...

The whole point from the beginning seemed to be 'hey, did you like the king's armor, well you can get it with this DLC'. Along with other scrap. Which doesn't matter, considering I saw a couple mods allowing you to equip the king's armor anyway.

It's like how they made a big deal about Warden's Keep having a storage chest...when modders had already made some.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
At least the Warden's Keep was polished, fun and even had some interesting C&C to accompany the dungeon raiding. This one just gives you more phat loot and orks to kill. Shit.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Mikayel said:
easy money? all the resources are there - i'm sure making game areas populated with enemies is the easiest form of module-creation there is...

Of course it's a lot easier and less expensive to do a short add-on revolving around combat, but I think that DLC could be used in a more intelligent way than just milking the cow a bit more.

Longshanks

Augur
Upcoming game of unending awesomeness - Heavy Rain - as well as being the most complete bathroom simulator ever, is also to have pre-planned prequel DLCs that will flesh out character back story. They will be the only add ons to the game, as there will be no sequel. Auteur David Gage: "I dont want to do a sequel because Ive said what I had to say about these characters and this story".

sheek

Arbiter
VoD has a good sense of humor for a German

Also I like after a long list of negatives: "easily worth it’s 400-point cost. Yet Return to Ostagar is far from flawless, and in many cases what it does well, is far less noticeable than what it does not."

More negatives.

"Return to Ostagar is not a terrible DLC, but it could have been better. "

Good for what it is, I guess.

sheek

Arbiter
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
The whole point from the beginning seemed to be 'hey, did you like the king's armor, well you can get it with this DLC'. Along with other scrap. Which doesn't matter, considering I saw a couple mods allowing you to equip the king's armor anyway.

It's like how they made a big deal about Warden's Keep having a storage chest...when modders had already made some.
Consolers don't. And not everyone knows about mods.

This storage crap is the most irritating thing Bioware did, who are otherwise good for what they are.

I was playing DA a month ago and I was thinking to myself, "Man, this game would be so much better if it had double the tedious endless killing of generic level scaled enemies". It is sad that the DLC was not ready, if it was I may have been able to continue with the game instead of dropping it disgustedly.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I loved it. It's a perfect addition to the game that I will enjoy playing with every character I create providing many hours of entertainment so it's hardly a question of whether or not it's worth $5 - I thought it was excellent and have been favorably impressed with all the DLC thus far and looking forward to seeing more.

I definately support the whole DLC content model since I tend to replay my CRPGs with numerous characters and the DLC brings me professional additions to the game that fit seamlessly with the original and don't stray from the original games intent like community made content often does. It adds yet another facet to a great original game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom