Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mass Effect 3: What we want to see

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare

Read <a href="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=232844">these suggestions</a> how to improve the mass effect experience even further in ME3.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">Mass Effect 2 shifted the balance from RPG towards shooter, whilst maintaining the rich narrative and deep character interaction the series is famous for.
<br>
<br>
The most successful - and brave - part of this shift was the axing of the over complex stats and loot role-playing games traditionally rely on. With less game time spent stressing over your inventory and skill points, the second Mass Effect is allowed to show off its true strengths; a glorious cinematic experience, sci-fi combat and moral choices that have you pondering over your mouse or joypad.
<br>
<br>
We'd like to see Mass Effect 3 continue this balance; expand the combat, world and conversation system, while again trying to surprise us with more difficult character choices and surprising set pieces. <b>The act of character building and weapon customisation doesn't need to be over complicated</b></p>
<br>
<br>
It seems as if BIO's streamlining efforts hit a sweet spot and fell on fertile ground. Color me surprised.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/96596-mass-effect-3-what-wed-like-to-see.html">Our trusty sidekick</A>

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Not that I'm jumping on the Skyway-wagon, but saying that ME1 had "overcomplex stats" might just be the most insane comment I've read this month. And I've been browsing the codex.

Where do they get these guys?

mondblut

Arcane
But isn't roleplaying about CHOICES rather than stats and inventory and shit? ME2 must be a best RPG evah! :smug:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
mondblut said:
But isn't roleplaying about CHOICES rather than stats and inventory and shit? ME2 must be a best RPG evah! :smug:

Yes Mondblut. There are people who care about C&C, and people who care about rules and stats, and never the twain shall meet.

Nuances, Codex, nuances.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Mass Effect 2 shifted the balance from RPG towards shooter
There is a balance between RPG and a shooter? Genres that have literally nothing in common?

whilst maintaining the rich narrative and deep character interaction the series is famous for.
This isn't even funny

The most successful - and brave - part of this shift was the axing of the over complex stats and loot role-playing games traditionally rely on. With less game time spent stressing over your inventory and skill points, the second Mass Effect is allowed to show off its true strengths; a glorious cinematic experience
Which is hard to notice behind the shoulder covering half of the screen during "cinematic" scenes

sci-fi combat
shooting and casting spells while fighting ancient evil = sci fi

moral choices that have you pondering over your mouse or joypad.
A) I can't kill him! But I need to do this for good of all, so I will
B) I don't care so I will just kill him
C) I'll kill him with pleasure

What to pick, this is tough - a wrong choice will make me think less of my character

Grunker said:
Not that I'm jumping on the Skyway-wagon, but saying that ME1 had "overcomplex stats" might just be the most insane comment I've read this month.
Common sense = Skyway-wagon?

Grunker said:
Yes Mondblut. There are people who care about C&C, and people who care about rules and stats, and never the twain shall meet.

Nuances, Codex, nuances.
The last game that had C&C came out 10 years ago. Must be tough for you.

I want to see more real world influences placed upon items and weapons, such as HK, the M (model) designation placed upon weapons, etc

I want your Commander to be more of a jaded, cynical, tough, cynical, angry, cynical SOB soldier, as he has already done whatever it takes on multiple occasions.

I want more Star Wars and Blade Runner references (Alliance, Dark)

More suicide missions.

To finish the job and completely crush the neck of Emily Wong, Which if you really consider it, was perhaps the most extreme act within that game. Her crime? She didn't offer you enough credits.

All this talk of Mass Effect has left me with an incredible urge to see some Blade Runner. Talk to you later.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Fuck that article. Fuck it to death. ME2 is dumbed down enough. Any more, and it might as well as be a shooter aka action game with guns. FFS

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
When given a choice between

1) A simplistic game that throws screenfuls of micromanagement at you and PRETENDS that it affects gameplay, while it really does not

and

2) A simplistic game that abandons this pretense

I'd take the latter.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Except ME1 doesn't pretend. Its talents, equipment, and other shit *did* effect game play. Dumbfuck.

Volourn said:
Fuck that article. Fuck it to death. ME2 is dumbed down enough. Any more, and it might as well as be a shooter aka action game with guns. FFS

You know that the dream has ended when the pretty princess of all Bioware fanboys says something like this.

Volourn said:
It's only dumbed down if you consider it as an RPG, as a TPS it's hella fun and a good improvement on the formula. The only problem here is that people keep constantly refering to this title to an RPG and thus it sets a standard for what RPGs are about in the future.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"constantly refering to this title to an RPG"

Nope. It's an Action RPG.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It can't be action RPG. In action games there's action. In ME you play a shooting range with popping up heads.

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
Mass Effect 1 was more fun when you started out with a high level character on a high difficulty level. The character made more sense that way, you didn't have to deal with robots that got more challenging as you went along, and battles could be genuinely difficult right from the beginning.

I would have rather preferred to start with a level 60 Shepard in Mass Effect 2 and do away with the leveling entirely. The strengths of the game are the powers, the choices, the characters, and the action. The stat system, not so much.

Leveling makes sense when you logically encounter tougher and tougher enemies as the game goes on, but when you're fighting geth at the beginning and geth at the end, and they just get harder to kill, it's pretty silly. Forcing a leveling system into the game just because you need to maintain RPG cred is a crutch. Why not just make a solid action game with good writing and choices and consequences?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Why not just make a solid action game with good writing and choices and consequences?"

Sounds like an Action RPG, to me.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It seems to me like endlessly scanning/probing planets to try and upgrade weapons is far worse than the inventory from ME1, as wretched as that was.

Twinkle said:
ME1 was a hybrid of bad action and bad RPG.
ME2 is a hybrid of mediocre action and bad RPG.

I would say ME2 is mediocre action and total shit RPG. One step forward, two steps back.

- Will multiplayer be online, spit-screen, or both?

- Xbox live vision support. It would be cool if we could customize your Commander by using our own pictures taken via xbox live vision camera and somehow attaching them to the face.

- The ability for characters to say your first name. Like mine would be named Commander Greg Shepard.

- For it to be released on 3 discs. Because it's the third game. Of a trilogy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom