Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News The Legacy of our beloved RPG developer

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare

IGN comprehensively sums up the history of Codex favorite developer : <a href="http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1062749p1.html">BioWare.</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">It seems like BioWare is unstoppable. Very soon, we'll all be sinking our teeth into Mass Effect 2, easily BioWare's most anticipated game to date, and the third installment is already well underway. Star Wars: The Old Republic, BioWare's massively multiplayer follow-up to its previous LucasArts collaboration, is poised to be perhaps the first MMO to take a major bite out of Blizzard. And the Dragon Age saga is just getting started.
<br>
Much of BioWare's enduring success is owed to its founders' foresight. Even when they were basement upstarts, unsure if they'd ever finish their first game and still working day jobs, they were always thinking ahead to their next move. Now, with 500 employees across three studios in two countries, BioWare has the resources to realize some very high ambitions. As long as the developer continues to build on its accomplishments, refining its games rather than starting from scratch, it could be a very long time before they ever get a taste of failure.</p>
<br>

Luzur

Good Sir
Even when they were basement upstarts, unsure if they'd ever finish their first game and still working day jobs

but...where they ever basement upstarts? from what i remember hearing they had a lot of money from the start in 1995.

Silellak

Cipher
Shannow said:
Not really news-worthy (if you ask me)
True that.

I still think Bioware is in for a rude awakening once they realize just how hard it is to actually run an MMO. They've never even made a real multiplayer game before, and they're jumping right into MMO-creation, with all of the technical and design issues that come with it? Yeah, good luck with that.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"They've never even made a real multiplayer game before"

Idiot.

ChristofferC

Magister
Silellak said:
Shannow said:
Not really news-worthy (if you ask me)
True that.

I still think Bioware is in for a rude awakening once they realize just how hard it is to actually run an MMO. They've never even made a real multiplayer game before, and they're jumping right into MMO-creation, with all of the technical and design issues that come with it? Yeah, good luck with that.
They probably merged with Mythic for a reason.

Silellak

Cipher
Volourn said:
"They've never even made a real multiplayer game before"

Idiot.
r00fles.

I did admittedly forget NWN1, so there is that. People (not Bioware, though) even created pseudo-MMO servers using it.

However, even companies that have released multiple MMOs still have trouble releasing them properly. They are nightmares, both from a technological perspective and a design perspective. I'm not sure Bioware really knows what they're getting into, even if they've hired experienced MMO devs. Arguably, they could make things worse, given that most MMOs are awful excuses for games.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I'm not sure Bioware really knows what they're getting into, even if they've hired experienced MMO devs."

Well, mileage may vary since this is the Codex and it has a hard on hate for all things BIO; but let's not forget that BIO was a medical software company at conception, and now 10+ years later they are one of the most successful rpg/game developers ever. And, I seriously doubt they came in to the game market with much experience either. *shrug*

This idea that a lack of experience dooms people is dumb as all successful people (no matter the industry) always lack experience at first. *shrug*

racofer

Thread Incliner
user-7372572_1165405396.gif

MetalCraze

Arcane
It seems like BioWare is unstoppable
More like "EA conveyor works at 2 games per year speed well according to plan"
EA will close Bioware in 2 years (or when their MMO will inevitably tank).

And then RPGs will die - according to this well known site RPG Codex Bioware is on a roll, releasing best games this decade one after another. And best RPGs too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom