Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News ME2 dissed by 2 different sites

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 2

fidgit.com dares to <a href="http://fidgit.com/archives/2010/01/ten_things_gone_terribly_wrong.php">criticize ME2.</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;"><b>It's mostly a shooter</b>
<br>
<br>
The core gameplay in Mass Effect 2 is a cover-based shooter, built around a narrow set of resistance/attack types. There are also exploding barrels. Oh, and ammo is called "thermal clips" for some reason. Bioware occasionally tries to vary the action by adding gimmicks, generally involving a timer bar or limitations on where you can stand. It's decent enough, I suppose. There's nothing inherently wrong with a cover-based shooter. But when you make the core gameplay so simple, it has a ripple effect through the rest of the game world. Everything in Mass Effect 2 has to be related to an anemic shooter.</p>
<br>
<br>
And this french site <a href="http://www.gamekult.com/tout/jeux/fiches/J000088949_test.html">scores it 7.0/10.</a> It's all in french btw and I understood only half of it - here's an excerpt:
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;"><b>Son... I am disappoint.</b>
<br>
Du côté des bonnes nouvelles, la disparition du système de surchauffe des armes et son remplacement par une gestion des munitions classique mais efficace fait plaisir... à condition d'aimer les armes automatiques. Si votre arme principale dans Mass Effect était le fusil à pompe ou le sniper, vous découvrirez par contre une capacité maximale de 10 à 15 balles ne permettant pas vraiment de combattre sur la durée sans tomber constamment en rade.</p>
<br>
<br>
Uh huh.
<br>
<br>
So that's it with future review copies of BIO games for you, you fools.
<br>
<br>

So I thought "Wow, these fidgit guys seem to know what they're talking about" and clicked the link. And first thing I read:

fidgit said:
Dragon Age is a tough act for any game to follow. Especially a story-heavy RPG from the same developer. Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 are very different approaches to the same genre, but when one of them is so richly detailed and shrewdly written, the shortcomings of the other are that much more conspicuous.

Then I wanted to look up what score DA got but the site was so unnavigable I just couldn't be arsed

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
VentilatorOfDoom said:
And this french site scores it 7.0/10. It's all in french btw and I understood only half of it.

They mainly bitch that the dumbed down inventory, equipment management and character development have made it a shooter and not that "Great RPG that was Mass Effect 1"

Dionysus

Scholar
Berekän said:
They mainly bitch that the dumbed down inventory, equipment management and character development have made it a shooter and not that "Great RPG that was Mass Effect 1"
It's true. RPGs have really gone down hill since the golden age of 2007.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
9) It's mostly a shooter
The core gameplay in Mass Effect 2 is a cover-based shooter, built around a narrow set of resistance/attack types

ME2 is a shooter. What is his problem?

sheek

Arbiter
French review says combat encounters are better designed and there are some interesting missions, and they are hoping ME3 will be better.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
First sentence of the french review is roughly : Big Xbox 360 hit in 2007, Mass Effect stayed true to Bioware's pretigious reputation, inviting the player into a deep and detailed universe, for a fascinating "save the universe" mission.

I didn't bother reading any further.

entertainer

Arbiter
these morans are dissing for the sake of dissing me2 got 10/10 from OFFICIAL XBOX MAGAZINE NOOBS and is the best rpg ever made

stop the lies, start the truth, dumbasses

Zeus

Cipher
I don't know what Bioware was going for here, but every time Shepherd stepped up to that map display to zip around his toy ship, I pictured him making spaceship noises with his mouth. Pretty much what you'd expect from a guy who collects toys, Shenmue style, for his captain's quarters. Worst. Starship interface. Ever.

You know your Sci-Fi epic is in trouble when the space travel is done better in Kingdom Hearts. :roll:

Bioware assembles worlds from sparsely populated boxes connected by lots of codex text.

No way! They quote us in the game?

Yeah, but these reviews were written before you could log on to the Cerberus Network. It changes everything. It also helps to view Blade Runner before playing.

Zeus

Cipher
Emotional Vampire said:
Then I wanted to look up what score DA got but the site was so unnavigable I just couldn't be arsed

Fidgit doesn't assign arbitrary review scores.

Pro tip:

qpjJn.png

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
People dislike a game. SHOCKER!

P.S. Yet, they still give the game a 7. L0LZ

Norfleet

I don't know what Bioware was going for here, but every time Shepherd stepped up to that map display to zip around his toy ship, I pictured him making spaceship noises with his mouth. Pretty much what you'd expect from a guy who collects toys, Shenmue style, for his captain's quarters. Worst. Starship interface. Ever.
I'm trying to imagine what the hell kind of noises a spaceship would make, given that there are NO NOISES IN SPACE.

Black

Arcane
Haters gonna hate, we all know it's good for what it is.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's a shooter. GASP!

But, to be honest... it's the best shooter I have played in years, mainly due to its great presented story, the endless possibilities of being a (even a "good") badass, the influence of RPG-like stuff on your shooting and combat and (seemingly) the higher level of C&C than in ME1. Oh, and it looks great. And authentic characters. I don't know, dissing this game for anything else than its low RPG content just seems wrong to me.

Also, I have no idea what better shooters the author played in recent years, because I pretty much played them all and like this one most ;)

Zeus said:
Emotional Vampire said:

Fidgit doesn't assign arbitrary review scores.

Pro tip:

qpjJn.png

...you made that image? Seriously?

That's so much butthurt you must write for them.

But yeah, menu is useless, it just drops a list of shit and goes home, and the search engine isn't even theirs, it's Google, so that's even more useless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom