Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bethesda to offer free download of The Elder Scrolls: Arena

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls: Arena

To celebrate 10 years of (awful) Elder Scrolls RPGs, Bethesda Softworks is offering a <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/downloads_games.htm>free download</a> of the first game in the Elder Scrolls series, Arena. They're also hosting a <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com/tenth_anniv/tenth_anniv-contest.htm>neat contest</a> for some Elder Scrolls prizes.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>We are proud to announce the 10th anniversary of our award-winning series, The Elder Scrolls®. You can read the press release announcement here, then stop by to read more about the Elder Scrolls games we've released, with some inside info from us on each game.
<br>
<br>
As part of the celebration we are also giving away a ton of cool prizes in our Elder Scrolls 10th Anniversary Giveaway. Be sure to enter today for your chance to win.
<br>
<br>
And to top it all off, we are offering the full version of the game that started it all 10 years ago -- The Elder Scrolls: Arenaâ„¢ -- for free, from the Downloads section of the site.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
It's a good thing they're offering it for free, because I sure as hell wouldn't pay for it.
<br>
<br>
Well, in all fairness, I wouldn't play it for free, either.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a>

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Well that's good. Ever since I played Daggerfall I've been looking for Arena all over the place. It's good they finally release it as download, cause expecting people pay for a 10 year old game is ridiculous. That said though, I doubt it'd work on my XP :cry:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I'd rather play the worst NWN module 9and there's some doozies out there) than play this.

kthanxbye

This post has been sponsored by I Hate Elder Scrolls Inc.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Entries will be accepted through April 30th and we'll draw names and announce the winners the following week. In order to enter you must be at least 13 years of age and a legal US resident.

Fuck you biatch, and shove your shitty free game up your ass.

geminito

Liturgist
Huh?

This site praises Fallout and criticizes Bioware games (both views that I agree with).

And now you praise Sacred (a mindless unoriginal click-fest) and say the Elder Scrolls series sucks? I thought I had figured out this site's bias, but now I'm completely thrown.

Oh well, my opinions aren't consistent either.

Voss

Erudite
Don't confuse the personal biases of individiuals with the site's bias.
Distinct things.

Seven

Erudite
Yup, this is the Codex where everybody's got an opinion and sometimes they don't converge. This is to say, you've entered a Machivellian world of gaming mischief.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Wow, it looks like they ass-rape your email account.. the agreement you have to sign is a little disconcerting.

DIPthong

Novice
If you think their conflicting opinions about video games are bad, you ought to see some of their opinions on movies...YIKES! ;-)

Limorkil

Liturgist
I've been looking for a copy of Arena for some time, so I think this is brilliant. I'm playing it for reasons of nostalgia: it was the first PC game I ever played. It'll probably look and play like shit, but It's a ten year old game so you can't expect too much from it.

To use the old consultant mantra: no-one values anything that is given for free

geminito

Liturgist
Bias

I come to RPG Codex just for the sassy remarks that accompany the news. Especially the occassional Bioware bashing! (I know a lot of people really enjoy Bioware games... but they're stupid.)

I just didn't realize that the sass would be directed at the Elder Scrolls games. But I shouldn't be surprised... It's not isometric, and it's real-time. So... then... :idea: i should probably hate it too.

I broke my wookie.

Tris McCall

Novice
Astromarine said:
Psilon said:
Yeah. There are Elder Scrolls (well, mainly Daggerfall) partisans on the boards here, though.

Yeah, but they're on the verge of being killed by ninjas AS WE SPEAK.

He's joking, of course. I liked Daggerfall a lot, and here I am at home, happy and healthy. Wait, what's that gleaming in the doorway? I don't.... AAAAHHGAAAGGHT!

Transcendent One

Liturgist
It seems to me like there are several people here who do in fact enjoy Elder Scrolls Games. I'm definitely not one of them, though I see how they may've been a good technical achievement. IMO that's what they are a lot more than actual fun to play games, though to each his own. Daggerfall wasn't all too bad in terms of the main plotline (the random dungeons and quests were hellishly annoying though), and as soon as Morroiwnd's graphics wow effect wore off I ended up with a lame game that's got, nope, not 3000 different quests, but 999 carbon copies for each of the 3 different quests.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Well, I for one managed to shake those pesky robotic ninjas by diverting their attention to some other poor dink. I also thoroughly enjoyed Arena when it first came out. I don't need to download the free copy considering I still have my original, but I might just grab it to put on CD. I love the Elder Scrolls series with the exception of Morrowind and Battlespires. Ugh.... Battlespires. The mere mention of that name strikes fear deep within my soul. :shock:

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
I own Battlespire, and I got sick of it really fast. So much for hoping for a good dungeon crawl. I paid out the ass for the damned game too, because it is so hard to find.

I just started Morrowind, and I'm enjoying it thoroughly, though the dungeons are a bit short, and it's starting to get easy. Also, the lagg gets annoying. But what do I know, I'm only level 9. I'm sure the thrill of the massive world will wear off.

Maybe if they redid Daggerfall I would enjoy myself...I've always wanted to play that game, but I run WinXP.

Spazmo

Erudite
a) Daggerfall runs fine with DOSBox (or so I'm told; I have no intention of ever playing Daggerfall) so quit whining about XP.

b) I hate the Elder Scrolls Series with a passion. I hate it because they're really bad games. That's my opinion. Exitium happens to like Morrowind quite a bit and I think Vault Dweller enjoys Daggerfall. So it's my personal opinion that TES games are crap.

Now please don't ever talk about bias again. I'm really fucking tired of you illiterate morons labelling any opinion you disagree with "OMG BIAS" instead of considering that maybe, just maybe, THAT'S MY HONEST OPINION ON THE MATTER AND NOT SOME FUCKING BIAS YOU GODDAMN DIPSHITS! Maybe it's just an honest mistake because you have no real fucking clue what bias means. Or maybe you're assholes. Regardless, don't call my opinions biased because they're not. My opinions are based on whether or not I like a given thing, not whether or not I have any prefabricated opinions on something just because it's made by a certain company or features a certain mode of gameplay.

So the next person who calls me biased will be shot and forcefully redirected to a dictionary where they might gain some understanding of the difference between a bias and an opinion.

Whipporowill

Erudite
I remember liking Daggerfalls openness and dressup, but loathing it's random dungeons and quests - and the storyline basically progresses by you getting mail.

Morrowind was a dissapointment in style, I loathed the faces, the shallow uninspiring npcs and pretty much half of the monsters. And no climbing over walls and robbing sleeping shop keepers, as in Daggerfall? What's up with that?!

I wouldn't say any of the games are bad att all, but lacking in a few important areas.

geminito

Liturgist
Bias

Someone who is inclined to bash any news item from Bethesda can be said to be biassed against Bethesda. Your bias comes from your dislike of Bethesda's games. Being biassed isn't a bad thing, is it?? I'm biassed against anything I hear about Bioware because of the games I've played by them.

I also like hearing your rants, so I post crap like this... My bias is that cheez tastes good. But that's just my opinion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom