Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News AoD demo released

Monolith

Prophet
Tags: Age of Decadence; Iron Tower; Vault Dweller

VD has released the Age of Decadence demo as promised.
<br>
<br>
Without further ado:
<br>
<br>
<a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/files/AoD_demo.exe">The direct link</a>
<br>
<a href="http://rapidshare.com/files/325928683/AoD_demo.exe">A Rapidshare mirror brought to you by RPGWatch</a>
<br>
<a href="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4EAZEGZN" target="blank">Megaupload mirror</a>
<br>
<br>
<a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,1208.0.html" target="blank">Demo survival guide</a>
<br>
<blockquote>Welcome to the Age of Decadence combat beta! It's set in the arena district of Maadoran from the full game. You'll get to pit your character's fighting skills against various opponents with the ultimate aim of being crowned the arena champion. Becoming the arena champion will not be easy, or even very likely (just try getting life insurance as a professional gladiator), but we hope you have fun trying. The main purpose of this beta is to test the combat system from the full game and tweak it if necessary based on player feedback, as well as detect any performance or stability issues. Some story elements have been added for your amusement, but they don't represent the scope of options that will be available in the complete game. Bear in mind that everything you'll see is a work in progress (the animations are being improved as I write this). The beta allows you to change the screen resolution, shadows and other settings from within the game (either from main menu, or by pressing ctrl-o at any time), but unfortunately anti-aliasing cannot be turned on from the game. This is a restriction of the game engine being used, and can be easily worked around by simply switching on anti-aliasing in your graphics card settings before starting AoD.
<br>
<br>
A regular demo featuring the entire first location and the full range of gameplay options (factions, multiple quest solutions, large variety of dialogue options, alchemy, crafting, sneaking, thievery, persuasion, diplomacy, lore, trickery, disguise, forgery, and more) will be available upon the game's release.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Edit:
<br>
<a href="http://rapidshare.com/files/326359202/arena_master_fix.rar" target="blank">Hotfix for the Arena Master bug</a>
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>ElectricOtter</b>

Warden

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
Warden said:
Will this game have level / item scaling?
Why wouldn't it?

Since you're always so defensive..
Because it's a design feature used only by incompetent developers. Oh, yeah, I should have known the answer. :)

Now that I have enlightened myself; demo? No thanks.

Jora

Arcane
Warden said:
The merchant restocks his inventory with new equipment when you make progress in the arena. That's the only scaling there is, go and get the demo.

Warden

Arbiter
Jora said:
Warden said:
The merchant restocks his inventory with new equipment when you make progress in the arena. That's the only scaling there is, go and get the demo.

You're talking about the demo or the game? :) What's this arena?

Can you dual-wield in this game?

Jora

Arcane
Warden said:
You're talking about the demo or the game? :) What's this arena?
I'm talking about the demo and (most likely) the game. VD was just employing that irony of his. The combat demo takes place at an arena where you fight against other gladiators. No dual-wielding, download the thing already. :P

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Warden said:
Just shut the fuck up, will you?

Well done VD and everyone involved. Hope you get some good feedback from this.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
I just got some scary BSOD's and graphic errors, game wouldn't even load for me. Something about the loading screen mentioning 16 bit. gonna try the rapidshare client.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
The game does crash every now and then when talking to the arena master. It seems to just happen randomly though, and not a bug specific to certain fights, so just reload if it happens and it'll work eventually. It's the only major bug I've seen with the demo so far after trying out three builds.

obediah

Erudite
Fat Dragon said:
The game does crash every now and then when talking to the arena master. It seems to just happen randomly though, and not a bug specific to certain fights, so just reload if it happens and it'll work eventually. It's the only major bug I've seen with the demo so far after trying out three builds.

For me it's done it each time I've reloaded after dying in a fight. That is the only time it's done it as well. Granted, a sample size of 3 isn't so great ( hammer dude, trio, and bendywhatever ). At least the process died gracefully.

Other than that no major problems, I had the camera get stuck once where mousing to the screen edge no longer moved the camera, but I spun the camera around and it worked.

Combat seems fun enough, I didn't have much trouble with a fast guy with a knife. I picked up a bow that got me through the hammer guy the second time, I barely lost the bandit battle, so the second time i took the leader down first and it went easy. Bendydando took me down with a 19 hp crit. I tried to play with nets but all 3 of my attempts were dodged.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ok.. d/l and installed.. changed to 1280x1024... no problems. (Playing on win XP SP3). One thing is it would have been nice to have "hover over info" on say the 2 crossed swords and eye... without reading the read-me I had no idea what these commands were for.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Jaesun said:
ok.. d/l and installed.. changed to 1280x1024... no problems. (Playing on win XP SP3). One thing is it would have been nice to have "hover over info" on say the 2 crossed swords and eye... without reading the read-me I had no idea what these commands were for.
Agreed, hover tips are always useful when starting RPGs, especially ones that have a tough learning curve like this. An option to toggle them on/off would be great.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Fat Dragon said:
Jaesun said:
Agreed, hover tips are always useful when starting RPGs, especially ones that have a tough learning curve like this. An option to toggle them on/off would be great.

Agreed.

orao

Novice
Downloading on my (temporary) dail-up. I hope that speaks for itself!

Temoid

Scholar
After I killed the first opponent in the arena, I was stuck in one half of it, unable to go anywhere else. Combat was over, wtf?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
After I killed the first opponent in the arena, I was stuck in one half of it, unable to go anywhere else. Combat was over, wtf?

Were you actually stuck in the arena due to a glitch or just unable to find its exit? If it's the latter, once combat is over, just walk over and click on one of the doors.

Temoid

Scholar
Its as if an invisible wall was drawn diagonally across the field. I was unable to walk over to the bottom part, where the door supposedly lay. Bleh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom