Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Die Hard Game Fans want the Nameless One to stay dead

Monolith

Prophet
Tags: Black Isle Studios; Planescape: Torment

In this week's “Sequel, Spin Off, Start Over or Stay Dead?” the <a href="http://diehardgamefan.com/2009/12/14/planescape-torment-–-sequel-spin-off-start-over-or-stay-dead/">Die Hard Game Fan</a> staff had to decide if Planescape: Torment should get a sequel, spin off, a start over or should stay dead. They voted for the latter.
<br>
<br>
Here's half the article:
<br>
<blockquote>The real reason I want Planescape: Torment to stay dead save for the occasional OS update is because I have no faith in Wizards of the Coast. Not only did they completely bury the Planescape setting once they got their grubby mitts on the rights to Dungeons and Dragons but they have been absolute idiots with the franchise, from an unbelievable score of atrocious D&D themed games based on the 3.0 or 3.5 edition of the tabletop game to burying the most popular variants of D&D such as Dragonlance, Ravenloft and Planescape in favour of their own god awful creation of Eberron. They allowed horrible movies to be made with the license’s name included two horrible live-action films and a god awful Dragonlance animated movie. The only thing that WOTC has done right since buying Dungeons and Dragons from TSR was the miniatures game, which they then stupidly stopped making at the height of its popularity. Wizards of the Coast has shown absolutely no intelligence or respect for the D&D franchise, which can be seen even to this day with 4th edition and the termination of the Dragon and Dungeon magazines. The thought of WOTC doing a 4th edition version of Planescape: Torment disgusts me to no end and I hope someday Hasbro cracks down on their inept asses and puts people in charge that can do the license proud and restore it to its 2nd Edition/SSI golden era. Until that time, I’d rather Planescape: Torment be kept as far away from the minds of WOTC as possible and just let the game be re-released so it can be played on MAC and PC operating systems as they change with each passing generation.</blockquote>
<br>
I'm for spin off, still waiting for Purgatorio (I know, I know, wrong on so many levels...).
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/">Who watches the Watchmen?</a>

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Torment - not so good. There are better games to be remade. And raped. By the WoTC.

baronjohn

Cipher
PST really does need a modern incarnation.

3D engine, remove the emo graphics, make the fonts big enough that I can read them on a TV and add swords and you've got a bestseller.

Derper

Prophet
I'm so horribly inadequate to deal with irony and trolling, so I'll just leave this thread now.

Derper said:
I'm so horribly inadequate to deal with irony and trolling, so I'll just leave this thread now.

Says the faggot who trolls by adding NYA at the end of every second sentence.

Planescape Torment: Blood War. Play as Nameless One in this God of War/Dynasty Warriors bundle by Konami! Employ the ultimate fighting style, "Rule of Three Stances"(tm) to dominate your enemies. The goal is to save your love, Fall-From-Grace at first, but it quickly turns out you're involved in matters which concern the very existence of Planes themselves! Coming to Playstation 3(tm) and XBox 360(tm) in fall 2010.

(Also, sex minigames)

DriacKin

Arbiter
Blackadder said:
Hey, I can picture it already; Imagine the planes with the Fallout 3 engine.
Which would actually be an improvement over the original PS:T combat...

Lothers

Scholar
What's the point of reviving old games? I'd say no, leave it alone. Make something new, like whole new game in Planescape setting. Chances are it'll probably be shitty anyway.

ecliptic

Liturgist
The only way it would have a sliver of hope is if Avellone helmed it, which obviously wouldn't happen.

denizsi

Arcane
For fuck's sake, stop living in the past. I cringe everytime I see someone "if only Avellone did it, of only that guy was involved or this guy was the producer". Avellone is finished. Just like Spector, Molyneux, Garriot and many others before him. What do all of these people have in common? They all became designers/developers for kids' games after they had their moment under the spotlight. He can't ever produce anything as good again, even if he owned SEGA. He had his shot, he took it and it's over. Practically he's an old fart now, as the only thing that separates him from a real old fart is merely a measurement in time. Likewise with Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky and all those involved in all of your favourite games. They used up their spells and now they're gone for good. Mourn them, but don't be idiots. The spell is over. Better hope somebody else with the same kind of magic will show up at some point (we're looking in your direction, VD) again.

Talonfire

Scholar
Neither a remake of, nor a sequel to Torment are really necessary anyway. The Nameless One's story is over, and it was given a proper ending. Sure being sent off to fight in the Blood War is hardly a happy ending, but not everyone in life gets one of those. A remake would end up cheapening the experience of the original game if it were made more mainstream (which would be unavoidable in this day and age), and a sequel would cheapen the story.

Torment was a great game, but truly great games don't need sequels or remakes. If a modern day gamer wants to play Torment then they will do so despite the graphics and combat system; if they're turned off by something as minor as graphics then they probably wouldn't appreciate the dialogue and story of Torment anyway.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Talonfire said:
If a modern day gamer wants to play Torment then they will do so despite the graphics and combat system; if they're turned off by something as minor as graphics then they probably wouldn't appreciate the dialogue and story of Torment anyway.

Besides, Torment looks great anyway, specially with the widescreen and UI mods. And it actually has good looking character models, unlike other IE games.

Derper

Prophet
The graphics are better than any bloom-ridden piece of shit released the last couple of years have shown. My eyes are open!

J1M

Arcane
Planescape is quite frankly a poor setting. I don't understand why so many people pretend to be butthurt over it fading away.

If it was so great, you should have bought more products related to it.

Also, Eberron is a great setting and hating it because it is new is stupid.

Mackerel

Augur
J1M said:
Planescape is quite frankly a poor setting. I don't understand why so many people pretend to be butthurt over it fading away.

If it was so great, you should have bought more products related to it.

Also, Eberron is a great setting and hating it because it is new is stupid.
eberronworld.jpg

:neutral:

multiverse-2.gif

:smug:

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Torment is a classic and is just fine the way it is. Trying to remake it, or a sequel to Torment wouldn't be all that great, imo. Nameless One's story is finished, no need to try and expand on it

Another game that uses the Planescape setting but unrelated to Torment's story would be nice though. But that will never happen. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom