Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bethesda caught out in lies over Interplay case

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

The saga continues between Interplay and Bethesda, over at the Fallout blog, <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Ausir/Bethesda_denies_Trilogy_pre-existence,_Interplay_creates_an_alternate_universe">Ausir got some more information about the case</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Thanks to Kevin from the Copyright in the Internet Age blog, as well as another, anonymous source, I managed to get access to all of Bethesda's filings regarding the Bethesda v. Interplay court case.
<br>
<br>
In the original complaint, Bethesda not only claims that the name Fallout Trilogy for a compilation sold in the United States and containing Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics is misleading and cannibalizes on Fallout 3 sales. They also claim that around August 2009, Bethesda became aware of compilations of Fallout games distributed under the titles Fallout Collection and Saga Fallout in other countries. "Upon information and belief" Bethesda alleges that Interplay began packaging, advertising and promoting these packages after Bethesda's launch of Fallout 3.
<br>
<br>
While a lot of Bethesda's arguments in the filings are reasonable, this claim is entirely false. Saga Fallout has been sold in Poland by CD Projekt since 2004, and the White Label Fallout Collection has been available in the UK since 2006, while a previous Ultimate Fallout Collection was released in 2004.
<br>
<br>
In the latest filing, after Interplay stated in its opposition that Bethesda's claims regarding the publication dates are false and attached photos of various editions of such compilations over the years, Bethesda states that none of these exhibits were authenticated and there is no way to verify the original dates. I guess all the stores offering them since 2004 and all the customers who have purchased them and posted about it on the Internet must have been deluded.</blockquote>
<br>
Follow the link for more info on some of the other claims Bethesda are making against Interplay and some of Interplay's lies too.
<br>
<br>
UPDATE: Duck and Cover have posted <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23422">some excerpts form the Court documents</a>. Some of them are quite hostile towards Herve.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Ausir</b>!

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The only fair end this fight can have is both sides losing.

Then Herve Caen will do Todd Howard in the ass and their destinies will be fullfilled.

ElectricOtter

Excidium said:

Then Herve Caen will do Todd Howard in the ass and their destinies will be fullfilled.
Fortunately, both died in the process from massive anal bleeding.

Tails

Arbiter
Heh I got this CD Projekt release, probably still with receipt in box.

ElectricOtter said:
Excidium said:

Fortunately, both died in the process from massive anal bleeding.

But they both are massive anal bleeds. Immortality??

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
DarkUnderlord said:
Bethesda states that none of these exhibits were authenticated and there is no way to verify the original dates.

is anyone on these boards into law or something? could they really pull something like this? seriously? do they even have a chance?

Ausir

Arcane
Thing is, the release dates are only a minor point. Regardless of when they were first published, after the purchase they had to be submitted for approval to Bethesda.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Ausir said:
Thing is, the release dates are only a minor point. Regardless of when they were first published, after the purchase they had to be submitted for approval to Bethesda.

this is not at all what bethesda is claiming though

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
circ said:
Bethesda are infamous for their retcon bullshit lately. Hopefully in a court of law it will bite them in the ass.

why are you following me?

Coyote

Arcane
circ said:
Bethesda are infamous for their retcon bullshit lately. Hopefully in a court of law it will bite them in the ass.

Dicksmoker said:
Bethesda needs to clean up their act. I'm rooting for them in this.

everyone in other threads said:
lesser of two evils

Wait, I have it!

Bethesda can go fuck themselves, as can Interplay. </Witcher neutrality>

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Interplay vs. Bethesda, which is better and why?

Technically, I'd say Interplay is the lesser evil.

racofer

Thread Incliner
One can only hope Interplay defeats Bethesda, but the injuries suffered from the confrontation are too much to bear, which in turn ends Interplay's life and brings back balance to the force.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm still pissed off at interplay for canceling Van Buren, so I'm siding with Bethseda on this one. Making games I don't like is forgivable. Canceling what would have been a true sequel to my favorite two games is not.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I root for Bethesda. Interplay and Herve must be destroyed. If not for Herve Fallout wouldn't have been raped so hard.

Shannow

Waster of Time
In the original complaint, Bethesda not only claims that the name Fallout Trilogy for a compilation sold in the United States and containing Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics is misleading and cannibalizes on Fallout 3 sales. They also claim that around August 2009, Bethesda became aware of compilations of Fallout games distributed under the titles Fallout Collection and Saga Fallout in other countries. "Upon information and belief" Bethesda alleges that Interplay began packaging, advertising and promoting these packages after Bethesda's launch of Fallout 3.
So?
In the original complaint, Interplay not only claims that the name Fallout 3 for an action shooter sold around the world and containing Oblivion with guns is misleading and cannibalizes on the established Fallout franchise. They also claim that around the first quater of 2009, Interplay became aware of DLC-expansions for Fallout 3. "Upon information and belief" Interplay alleges that Bethesda began programming, advertising and promoting these packages after Interplay's development of Fallout.
Fixed. So?

*facepalm*

Vibalist

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
I root for Bethesda.

MetalCraze said:
I root for Bethesda.

MetalCraze said:
I root for Bethesda.

MetalCraze said:
I root for Bethesda.

MetalCraze said:
I root for Bethesda.

MetalCraze said:
I root for Bethesda.

MetalCraze said:
I root for Bethesda.

MetalCraze said:
I root for Bethesda.

MetalCraze said:
I root for Bethesda.

MetalCraze said:
I root for Bethesda.

MetalCraze said:
I root for Bethesda.

MetalCraze said:
I root for Bethesda.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom