Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Homelan chats with Leonard Boyarsky

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Leonard Boyarsky; Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

<a href=http://www.homelanfed.com>HomeLan</a> scored an <a href=http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=21309>exclusive interview</a> with <b>Leonard Boyarsky</b> of <a href=http://www.troikagames.com>Troika</a>'s fame. The interview reveals some recently discussed <a href=http://www.vampirebloodlines.com>Bloodlines</a>' mysteries like whether or not you were embrassed "legally".
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Leonard Boyarsky </b>- Imagine if you will, an RPG with everything you would expect to get from an RPG – a deep storyline, character development and interaction, multiple quests and endings, PLUS all the benefits of an all-new next-gen FPS engine – the graphical beauty, immediacy, fast action and first-person immersion. Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines brings a revolutionary new gameplay dynamic to the table.</blockquote>
<br>
I'd rather imagine a good RPG plus all the benefits of a good TB isometric engine, but what Leon is talking about doesn't sound bad either.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Whipporowill

Erudite
What's the story with this Jack feller then? I only have him as part of my old Jyhad deck - "Smiling Jack the Anarch, Malkavian". Pretty major guy I think?

Vault Dweller said:
mysteries like whether or not you were embrassed "legally"

Oh... and VD. You're aiming for 'embraced' here, not 'embarrassed', right?

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Sounds to me like Leon wants Bloodlines to be one of those best of both worlds games that brings together FPS fanboys with little attention span to a deep RPG. Not a good combo, if you ask me, but I think Troika should be able to pull it off.
The main quests involve you working for the Prince and whether or not you support the Camarilla
So basically we'll be forced to do this guy's errands regardless of whether or not we want to? Sounds crappy to me.
This game will truly be Vampire▓s World of Darkness brought to life on the PC, as well as being the first Troika style first-person RPG. Add to that the incredible facial animation system for unprecedented interactivity with NPCs and Valve Source Technology, and you▓ve got a truly innovative and revolutionary role-playing game: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.
Quit with the hype already, you're scaring me.

Voss

Erudite
Smiling Jack- (odd, I didn't remember him being Malkavian, but that just makes him more fun) what I know of the character comes, appropriately enough, from L.A. by Night. Basically, he's a 16th century Caribbean pirate turned vampire. Very famous as an anarch, mostly for gratuitious use of violence and firebombs. While a lot of anarchs toe the line and play nice enough to stay under the Camarilla umbrella (for protection), Jack breaks the line a lot. Actually he breaks a lot of things. Has a lot of enemies (even among the anarchs) and most Camarilla folks would like to see him dead. Getting tangled up with him should be entertaining, to say the least. A good way to make a firm break from the service of the Prince.

Uh, Greyhawk?
The prince kills your Sire but spares your life, putting you at his beck and call to be his errand boy…for the time being. From there, it’s up to the player to decide how the rest of the game will go.

You start in his service (and for a pretty good in-game reason... he has the authority to destroy you at a whim, with no repercusiions) You basically parsed the quote wrong. It isn't 'the main quests involve working for the Prince regardless of whether you support the Camarilla', its 'the main quests involve working for the Prince *AND* whether or not you support the Camarilla'. So, these are seperate (but overlapping to a degree) main quests- the first is a starting point you can choose (or not) to continue with.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Not many new things revealed in this interview. Being forced to work for the Prince makes sense in the context of things, if the alternative is to do his bidding or be killed, I'd do his bidding. As long as there is freedom in the way you do the quests, and the alternative to screw him over presents itselfs later, I'm happy.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Checked trough my deck again, seems he's not one of the vamps you control as a methusaleh, but rather an interesting card you play to cause mischief on the other players... so the Malkavian thing was plain wrong, or at least probably.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Whipporowill said:
Oh... and VD. You're aiming for 'embraced' here, not 'embarrassed', right?
Huh? You're kidding right? It's a legit vamp term used to indicate the shame and embarrassment a new vamp is feeling after he realizes that he was embraced without permission. It's a drama of unhuman proportions :lol:

Nightjed

Liturgist
Role-Player said:
Facial animation = interactivity? Unprecedent roleplaying? Someone's skipping their Ritalin...
they are putting too much hype into the graphics and the hf2 engine, they even talk about the engine as if it were the "main feature", i just hope its not the "ONLY feature"

at least the probable good sales (step 1: hf2 hype, step 2: ?, step 3 : profit) will give troika a little space to continue their other projects

Transcendent One

Liturgist
its 'the main quests involve working for the Prince *AND* whether or not you support the Camarilla'
I misunderstood that line, then
banghead.gif

Monte Carlo

Liturgist
Deus Ex with fangs.

Troika release a R/T, non-turn based twitch-fest with "RPG elements"...seems like they've learnt their lesson and swallowed a Bio pill at last. That's if there's any QA on this baby.

Cheers
MC

Megatron

Liturgist
Deus Ex pretended to have multiple paths though, yet it was a bunch of slight boring linear missions. This has several locations that you're free to explore as well as using the same char sheets and stats from the WW PNP. I don't consider this a twitch fest with rpg elements.

Seven

Erudite
Monte Carlo said:
Deus Ex with fangs.

Troika release a R/T, non-turn based twitch-fest with "RPG elements"...seems like they've learnt their lesson and swallowed a Bio pill at last. That's if there's any QA on this baby.

Cheers
MC

I thought KOTOR had an effective TB system in combat?

Spazmo

Erudite
I do consider this a "twitch fest with RPG elements" as it's just that: an action RPG. That doesn't mean it can't have all that non-linearity and character development stuff we all love, but it does mean the combat can be more twitch oriented. I've always said there's nothing really wrong with action RPGs, just with the action RPGs released thus far.

Seven

Erudite
Spazmo said:
I do consider this a "twitch fest with RPG elements" as it's just that: an action RPG. That doesn't mean it can't have all that non-linearity and character development stuff we all love, but it does mean the combat can be more twitch oriented. I've always said there's nothing really wrong with action RPGs, just with the action RPGs released thus far.

I thought you enjoyed Diable 2, and are looking forward to Sacred?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, most action CRPGs haven't been that great. Diablo 2 and Nox were probably the best of them all. Judging by the demo, Sacred can be added to that list as soon as it's released.

Spazmo

Erudite
Seven, Diablo II is a fun game but certainly isn't much of an RPG in terms of non-linearity and story and whatnot. As for Sacred, well, I'm rather neutral towards that one. What's one more or less fantasy RPG nowadays?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom