Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bethesda should pay Interplay millions for Fallout 3

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout 3; Interplay

Some sad moron who invested in Interplay shares <a href="http://ragingbull.quote.com/mboard/boards.cgi?board=IPLY&read=2596">has summarised the argument Interplay are making</a> against Bethesda in the whole <a href="http://ragingbull.quote.com/mboard/boards.cgi?board=IPLY&read=2597">who's suing who</a> over the failed MMO anyway case:
<br>
<blockquote>Interplay argued that they purposefully retained the rights to the original Fallout games when selling the Fallout license to Bethesda knowing full well (as did Bethesda) that Interplay was going to exploit the original Fallout games upon release of Fallout 3. Why would Interplay keep the original Fallout rights and sell Fallout for so cheap unless this was built in as part of the package deal? The original Fallout games are only worth something in relation to sales generated from the release of FAllout 3. Therefore, Interplay did not harm Bethesda in any way by selling the original Fallout games.
<br>
[...]
<br>
Interplay is COUNTERSUING Bethesda. Interplay said that they did disclose the Glutton Creeper deal with Bethesda and Bethesda suddenly terminated the deal with Glutton, which resulted in Glutton suing Interplay. Interplay wants that money back that they had to pay Glutton and legal fees from this. Interplay also claimed that Bethesda materially damaged their name and business by falsely telling Gametap and other companies that Interplay was not allowed to sell Fallout games on their site, per the original agreement.
<br>
[...]
<br>
What really blew me away was that Interplay argued in their court documents that Bethesda breached the contract and messed with Interplay every step of the way (such as sending letters to everyone that Interplay tried to sell the original Fallout games to) to such an extent that the contract is now null and void and therefore the former contract is in effect which states that Interplay owns the Fallout license and Bethesda sublicenses it and only has rights to Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 and Fallout 5. Instead of Interplay oweing Bethesda royalties from Fallout MMORPG, Bethesda should pay Interplay royalties from Fallout 3, in excess of 15-20 million (estimated) as well as damages to Interplay's name, etc.</blockquote>
<br>
Oh God. Will somebody please kill Interplay already? Though if they take Bethesda down with them...
<br>
<br>
Meanwhile there are some <a href="http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=14511">secret Fallout facts over at OXM</a>.
<br>
<blockquote>2. Burnout's crash mode replays were the original inspiration behind the Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System (V.A.T.S.)
<br>
<br>
9 The bell that sounds after shooting the Fat Man Nuclear Catapult is the lunchroom bell at the Bethesda offices.
<br>
<br>
12 The Downtown D.C. area in Fallout 3 was originally twice as big, but the team decided it was too large and confusing and cut half the space out. Conversely, the Wasteland area eventually doubled.</blockquote>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPGWatch</a> and <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">GameBanshee</a>

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Hmmm. I think it would be impossible for them to take down Bethesda as Beth has waaaay too much financial backing from whatever firm owns them. I dont remember nor care. Either way, it's interesting to see if Beth actually managed to void it's own contract with IPLY. Prolly not, but it's an interesting stipulation.
What is it with these two hating each other so much?

flabbyjack

Arcane
This has always seemed like a clear-cut case in favor of Interplay. This is a common 'trick' in corporate business: if you drown another company in legal fees they are screwed, happens all the time in lawsuits such as Guy with Cancer vs Insurance Company. Interplay worked hard for that Bethsoft money!

I see a long hard legal battle ahead of us.

J1M

Arcane
I hope Interplay wins. I don't like Bethesda and if they have done as claimed they deserve to be taken to the cleaners.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I feel sorry for the kind of guy who buys shares in a videogame company.

The percentage of videogame companies (developer or publisher) that have a future of more than a decade are probably in single digits, and the years of sunk costs in a videogame company are probably around half a decade.

Worse than pharmaceuticals.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Ausir said:
Well, Chris Taylor is still at Interplay.
Taylor is cool, but I doubt one man alone can make a great game. He's wasting his skills working at Interplay. Still, you gotta admire his devotion to Fallout, joining a barely standing company again just so he can work on another installment in the series, need more developers like him. :honourblade: :respect +++:

Ausir

Arcane
Morgoth said:
If Interplay wins, you can kiss Fallout New Vegas bye bye.

No, since if they win, they revert to the original contract in which Bethesda had the rights to publish 3 Fallout games. So they'd still be able to publish New Vegas.

Avu

Liturgist
Doesn't matter who wins. What is important is that either way one hated company loses.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Its fun watching the forces of evil make war on each other. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Luzur

Good Sir
12 The Downtown D.C. area in Fallout 3 was originally twice as big, but the team decided it was too large and confusing and cut half the space out. Conversely, the Wasteland area eventually doubled.

WHAT

Gerrard

Arcane
Luzur said:
12 The Downtown D.C. area in Fallout 3 was originally twice as big, but the team decided it was too large and confusing and cut half the space out. Conversely, the Wasteland area eventually doubled.

WHAT
There were twice as many corridors blocked with rubble. And metro tunnels.
Joy.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gerrard said:
Luzur said:

WHAT
There were twice as many corridors blocked with rubble. And metro tunnels.
Joy.

Yeah, it's actually good they decided to make more wasteland than city area. Hated the city with the rubble that you couldn't cross. It was so artificial and stupid.

denizsi

Arcane
DSC_0177.jpg

VS.

toddhoward.jpg.w300h174.jpg

Pete_Hines_01.JPG

FIGHT!!!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Ausir said:
No, since if they win, they revert to the original contract in which Bethesda had the rights to publish 3 Fallout games. So they'd still be able to publish New Vegas.

Hmmm? No. The original contract gave the right to produce and publish Fallout 3 and an option on Fallout 4 and 5. Those games and those games only. They'd have to rename New Vegas into Fallout 4 :P

denizsi

Arcane
I thought the latest contract in effect was that one, giving Bethesda the rights to FO3, 4 and 5 and I was surprised that they were commissioning a non 4-5-6 FO at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom