Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review Geneforge 2 review: Better Late Than Never

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Geneforge 2; Jeff Vogel; Spiderweb Software

We finally get around to reviewing Geneforge 2. The verdict: it's good.

If you ask the staff members of the RPG Codex for their favourite CRPGs, you're likely to find two common answers from all of them: Fallout and Geneforge. The first is something of a no-brainer but many gamers have never heard of the latter, which is a real shame given how good it is. For a mere $25, the good folks at Spiderweb Software would sell you Geneforge, easily one of the best CRPGs in years. Geneforge was a solid success for Spiderweb, prompting the development and release of a sequel, Geneforge 2. We're happy to report that Geneforge 2 is a fantastic game and lives up to its predecessor admirably.​

Anyone surprised? No? Good!

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I personally think the sequel stomped the first one's butt into the ground. I did like the first one, don't get me wrong there. But Geneforge 2 kicks serious butt. So does the Avernum series! Don't forget to check those out while your there! :)

Edit: Good review, btw. :) Did a speed read of it and you did the game justice. Will do a more indepth read of it later.

Anonymous

I got to the very-near end of GeneForge but didnt know what to do anymore, so I just kinda stopped, I think I might of made a mistake somewhere, but i'll try again.

As for GeneForge 2, I think i'll get around to playing it sometime soon (I have it, just never played it much).

wizard

Liturgist
good review...........that's all I can say 'cause I read the review couple hours ago and I dont remember anything about it :lol:

dipdipdip

Liturgist
Ah, good. I've been silently awaiting a review from you guys.

Question: Do you guys plan on doing one for Teudogar?

Spazmo

Erudite
Thanks for the praise, folks. But don't waste time inflating my ego--go buy Geneforge 2!

As for Teudogar... good question. I myself haven't played it. I'll knock some heads around.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
A very enjoyable review. I suggest changing
Happily, combat in GF2 is turn-based, but it isn't anywhere near as complex as that of titles like Jagged Alliance 2 or Temple of Elemental Evil, but it still works
into
Happily, combat in GF2 is turn-based. It isn't anywhere near as complex as that of titles like Jagged Alliance 2 or Temple of Elemental Evil, but it still works
. Too many buts in the first version imo :D

One question: I lost my Geneforge (1) saves when my secondary computer's HDD went corrupt... and, great as it was, I couldn't bear to restart it.

So my question is, if I haven't completed Geneforge (1), will I be confused or underwhelmed by Geneforge 2? Also, which, in your opinion, is more intriguing/"better?" I don't forsee having time to play both through anytime soon, so I may as well choose one...

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I recommend going with 2 then. You can play it without having played the first one. It's not a TRUE sequel in the sense that you are playing the character from the first game. Plus, you have alot more different options for finishing quests. The first one was more combat-oriented, whereas the second one allows more freedom in some quests.

Spazmo

Erudite
What he said. Geneforge 2's narrative is independent of the first one's and hardly even places restrictions on how you end the first game, which is pretty neat.

Spazmo said:
What he said. Geneforge 2's narrative is independent of the first one's and hardly even places restrictions on how you end the first game, which is pretty neat.
Cool. I'll have to go back to the first one at some point, but after slogging through so much damn combat, I couldn't bring myself to play it again for awhile...

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Well I hate when crappy combat is plentiful in a game. But you say it works overall, and you make the other aspects sound really catchy. I think I'll give the game a try eventually (not that I wouldn't have without reading the review, the review will probably just make me buy it sooner).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom