Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Avellone speaks @ xbawx360 on Alpha Protocol

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Alpha Protocol

<a href="http://www.x360magazine.com/qa/obsidians-chris-avellone-chats-alpha-protocol/">Link for reading</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>The story went through two drafts (not unusual – Knights of the Old Republic II, our previous title, went through at least 1), and a year and a half ago we finalized the story
<br>
[...]
<br>
Ultimately, tying the story to game mechanics wasn’t a big change (we try to make sure dialogue in our games is also a game mechanic, not just exposition) – but the biggest change was the way you communicate with characters in the game. Designed by Brian Mitsoda and implemented by Dan Spitzley, Alpha Protocol has a timed dialogue system with one route through the conversation (no loops as in previous title), and the goal was to create a more natural conversation, yet give those conversations the sense of urgency you’d often feel when watching TV shows like 24 or the snappy back-and-forth you’d get in a Bond flick.
<br>
[...]
<br>
Alpha Protocol is actually a much smaller RPG in terms of line count than our previous titles, but the reactivity amongst the major characters ends up being stronger.
<br>
flick.
<br>
[...]
<br>
With any luck, Alpha Protocol will help getting videogame storytelling outside the industry the recognition it deserves.</blockquote>
<br>
Lots of talk about how much like an action film it is.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPGWatch</a>

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Castanova said:
With any luck, Alpha Protocol will help getting videogame storytelling outside the industry the recognition it deserves.

wut
He should have said "maybe one of those Codexer fucks remembers to go shove a copy of PS:T up Ebert's ass."

Suchy

Arcane
Don't worry, there will be awesome C&C.

illusion.PNG

Secretninja

Cipher
[quote="DarkUnderlord" Knights of the Old Republic II, our previous title, went through at least 1)[/quote]
OMG 1 whole draft, that is so much polish its mind boggling.

Double Ogre

Scholar
Timed dialogs? Another shitty interactive movie like Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy? What about QTEs?

Avellone is such a huge faggot.

Double Ogre

Scholar
That doesn't change the fact that he's making SHITTY CONSOLETARD PIECE OF SHIT MOVIE LIKE GAMES FOR INBRED FUCKS WHO SIT ALL DAY ON THEIR ASS DROOLING AT THEIR TV.

Micmu

Magister
"Just keep in mind, that you'll never become even as half as successful as him."

And what the fuck does that have to do with him being a huge faggot or not?

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
micmu said:
It was a jab at Drog, first and foremost. He posted that bullshit when someone dared to bash Gabba the Hutt and glorious Valve. Now he's bashing developers himself. Hypocrisy much?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Too bad about Avellone, really. I liked him a lot for Torment and what he did in Fallout 2 (fuck off and eat a cock, I also believe New Reno didn't fit, however it's still great on its own) and I had trust in him. But lately with Obsidian... eh.
I don't know exactly what he did in the other Obsidian's games (does anyone know?) but in all his recent interviews he sounds like a lighter version of Todd/Pete.

Double Ogre

Scholar
Hümmelgümpf said:
micmu said:
It was a jab at Drog, first and foremost. He posted that bullshit when someone dared to bash Gabba the Hutt and glorious Valve. Now he's bashing developers himself. Hypocrisy much?
Gabe Newell makes excellent games. I couldn't care less how he looks. Also, tale a look at this thread.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Hümmelgümpf said:
FeelTheRads said:
I don't know exactly what he did in the other Obsidian's games (does anyone know?)
Kaelyn.

Is that a one-word-answer that's supposed to impress me or is that really all he did?
Because if it's the former then I'm not really impressed considering Kaelyn sucks, and if it's the latter, then I have some troubles believing it.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Double Ogre said:
Gabe Newell makes excellent games.
Valve made precisely one good-but-not-great game: the original Half-Life. The rest is either average (Half-Life 2) or below average (Half-Life 2 episodes, Portal).
FeelTheRads said:
Is that a one-word-answer that's supposed to impress me or is that really all he did?
Because if it's the former then I'm not really impressed considering Kaelyn sucks, and if it's the latter, then I have some troubles believing it.
1. Kaelyn rocks. Definitely Avellone's best, even better than characters from Torment.
2. Avellone contributed to all of Obsidian's games (except SoZ, I think), but he hasn't been a lead since KotOR 2. He wrote a couple of characters for NWN 2 OC and MotB, and that's about it.

Double Ogre

Scholar
Hümmelgümpf said:
Valve made precisely one good-but-not-great game: the original Half-Life. The rest is either average (Half-Life 2) or below average (Half-Life 2 episodes, Portal).
You're so hardcore and elite, Lestat, I will probably never have such refined tastes in video games as you.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Okay, I'm open to be educated. How many times do you have to play MotB to see that Kaelyn "rocks"? Or Gann. Or any other character.
I played it once and no character "rocked", as opposed to Torment where they "rocked" on the first playthrough.

Double Ogre

Scholar
Oh, and BTW, Lestat, I should probably mention that your idolized Avellone once said that the narrative method used in HL2 works much better for video games than reading a lot of text (PS:T). Make of this what you will.
Link

DriacKin

Arbiter
FeelTheRads said:
Okay, I'm open to be educated. How many times do you have to play MotB to see that Kaelyn "rocks"? Or Gann. Or any other character.
I only had to play it once to see that Kaelyn was awesome. The dialogue between Myrkul and Kaelyn was especially memorable.

Imo, Kaelyn is the most well written character I've seen in any RPG this decade.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
FeelTheRads said:
Once.
I played it once and no character "rocked", as opposed to Torment where they "rocked" on the first playthrough.
Cool story, bro.
Double Ogre said:
Oh, and BTW, Lestat, I should probably mention that your idolized Avellone
Idolized? I just happen to enjoy the man's writing. I don't have a shrine to him hidden at my home.
once said that the narrative method used in HL2 works much better for video games than reading a lot of text (PS:T). Make of this what you will.
Link
He's right. Using enviroment to tell a story is a better approach than dumping walls of text on a player. Problem is, Half-Life did a poor job at that. It didn't make me care about characters or the setting. Thief, Deus Ex and Ocean House Hotel from Bloodlines are good examples of how it's done right.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Hümmelgümpf said:
FeelTheRads said:
Once.

Cool story, bro.

Oh, look, I can do it too. Must mean I'm just as smart as you are.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Alpha Protocol has a timed dialogue system with one route through the conversation

Dun dun dun

give those conversations the sense of urgency you’d often feel when watching TV shows like 24 or the snappy back-and-forth you’d get in a Bond flick.
I want to play a game, not a fucking movie. Is this a new shit?

With any luck, Alpha Protocol will help getting videogame storytelling outside the industry the recognition it deserves.
I think someone at the Codex said that the gaming industry reminds more and more about a place for failed movie directors.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
Alpha Protocol has a timed dialogue system with one route through the conversation

Dun dun dun
If you quote something, do it properly.
Alpha Protocol has a timed dialogue system with one route through the conversation (no loops as in previous title)
One route means that every conversation happens exactly once. When it's over, it's over. You can't keep asking a character the same question once you got an answer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom