Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview DeathSpank - 1st Screens, an Interview, & 100 Chickens

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: DeathSpank

Adventure gaming kingpin and former <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=191" target="blank">Codex victim</a> <b>Ron Gilbert</b> gave 1UP the first <a href="http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3175829" target="blank">up close & personal preview</a> for <b>DeathSpank</b>.
<br>
<blockquote>Throughout the story, you'll discover main and side quests, listed as Important and Unimportant tasks in your Quest Log. As you might imagine, some of these feel much like classic adventure game puzzles. In one situation, you run across a farmer who wants to grow top vegetables, and in order to help, you have to track down different types of exotic manure, one being Unicorn Poop. In another situation, you want to get a sword from recurring character Eubrick the Retired, who requests a taco in trade, so you have to go to a taco stand and ask for the ingredients he wants, but the taco stand isn't allowed to make an "extra spicy" one because of a lawsuit, so you have to track down a special plant and combine it with the taco in your inventory. (And yes, there will be a hint system -- "certainly a more robust one than what you'd have in a classic adventure game," says Gilbert.)</blockquote>
<br>
Next came the <a href="http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3175862" target="blank">interview</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>And the way I think really good dialogue comes out is when you get done with this conversation with this person, and in some ways you felt like you had an actual conversation. You weren't just picking from menus and saying the same thing over and over again, having them respond with the same canned response a second time, but really varying all of those things... You know, you talk with someone about this and later on you discover, "Hey, now they're actually doing something a little different." But I think for that stuff to work it has to be subtle, because if it's not subtle gamers will start to meta-game it. They will start to look at the trees and they will start go, "Oh, you know what? I need to get this person to do this." So now they're making choices about the meta-game; they're not really making choices about experiencing the artistic nature of it all.</blockquote>
<br>
<a href="http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3175824" target="blank">Stay tuned</a> for a video, LucasArts wet t-shirt contest, and other goodies throughout the week.
<br>
<br>
<i>Thanks to PlanHex for shoving this in our inbox</i>

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
In another situation, you want to get a sword from recurring character Eubrick the Retired, who requests a taco in trade, so you have to go to a taco stand and ask for the ingredients he wants, but the taco stand isn't allowed to make an "extra spicy" one because of a lawsuit, so you have to track down a special plant and combine it with the taco in your inventory.
ಠ_ಠ

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
So instead of a proper, QfG-like adventure/RPG full of class-specific content and multiple solutions to puzzles, Ron is working on a lame Diablo clone devoted to fetch quests and grinding? Another great designer falls victim to the Molyneux syndrome.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Hümmelgümpf said:
Another great designer falls victim to the Molyneux syndrome.

I'm more than willing to give Ron the benefit of the doubt at this point. At least until the first gameplay videos have seen the light of day.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He always said the RPG part would be mostly like Diablo, so no surprise here.
I still hope for good dialogues and humour, though.

DriacKin

Arbiter
As long as it'll have a good sense of humor and some interesting characters, it might still be a worthwile game.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Exactly, all that matters to me about this game is to have a good sense of humor and bearable action-rpg mechanics. Something like Anachronox.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Hümmelgümpf said:
Another great designer falls victim to the Molyneux syndrome.

I don't know. Going by the feel of the interview he doesn't seem to have his head stuck up his ass.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
ghostdog said:
Exactly, all that matters to me about this game is to have a good sense of humor and bearable action-rpg mechanics. Something like Anachronox.

Where was the Action RPG part in Anachronox? It was a tactical JRPG.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Sir_Brennus said:
ghostdog said:

Where was the Action RPG part in Anachronox? It was a tactical JRPG.

meh whatever , you know what I mean.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom