Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Hands on with Diablo 3

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Diablo III

BlizzCon '09 has come and gone. Now it's time for the previews to come and go.
<br>
<br>
#1. <a href="http://www.warcry.com/articles/view/conferences/6429-BlizzCon-09-Hands-On-With-Diablo-IIIs-Monk">War Cry talk about Monks</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>When I encountered large groups of enemies, I'd find the mob who might have the most HP, tag them with a combo that ended with Exploding Palm, and then use the Seven-Sided Strike move which has the Monk do lightning fast strikes on multiple enemies (It's like Diablo II's Chain Lightning but "you're the lightning") and tip the enemy with the Exploding Palm damage-over-time into death, exploding the thing's body and causing huge area-of-effect damage. One body exploded, then the rest of them exploded.</blockquote>
<br>
#2. <a href="http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1185">ShackNews clicky-click-click:</a>
<br>
<blockquote>Click, click, click. It's rare that a game is so instantly recognized by simple onomatopoeia. Diablo III has that instant recognition factor; playing the game, it is simply Diablo from the first hack. At the same time, this isn't Diablo. It's flashier. It's faster. It's "more vibrant," as the team likes to put it.
<br>
[...]
<br>
Maybe it was the clouds of blood following me around, but I wasn't paying much attention to my Monk's quests in either of my playthroughs. They were the standard "go here, kill these guys" directives, handed out from NPCs with WoW-style exclamation marks above their heads. I did, however, enjoy the surprises Blizzard's working into the actual NPCs this time.
<br>
<br>
Whereas the secondary characters of Diablo were restricted to towns in the past, they now populate the world in a similar fashion to World of Warcraft. You'll find them in need of rescue, or surrounded by minions plotting an ambush.</blockquote>
<br>
#3. <a href="http://www.atomicgamer.com/article.php?id=864">AtomicGamer also have theirs up</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>The Witch Doctor is a more difficult to play class, mostly because his pets - including the redesigned Carrion Spiders - distribute out damage and you'll have to be the one to focus it for them. The main attack at Blizzcon for him was the ability to toss out bottles of exploding fluid; I had a hard time using these and ultimately found myself staring at the respawn screen quite a few times. He's definitely more of a finesse character, and he doesn't seem quite as polished as the Wizard or Barbarian yet.</blockquote>
<br>
If that's not enough, you can also check out Blizzard's own <a href="http://www.blizzard.com/blizzcon/recaps/battlenet-panel.xml">BlizzCon site</a>.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">GameBanshee</a>

Black Sun

Novice
Information also realeased - Blizzard has annouced due to teh hard work and shiny graphix, Diablo 3 will cost more. Also, Each class has to be bought as a seperate game

Black

Arcane
OgreOgre said:
DarkUnderlord said:
NPCs with WoW-style exclamation marks above their heads
WoW-style? Diablo II already have the said exclamation marks.
And so what, you expect gaming journalists to know that?
Besides, even if he knew, saying that it's more like WoW gives you cool points now.

Moray

Scholar
Black said:
And so what, you expect gaming journalists to know that?
Besides, even if he knew, saying that it's more like WoW gives you cool points now.

In a realistic sense that journalists should hopefully have some experience and knowledge in the field they're working, it makes sense. But, this is gaming journalism, after all (more like "lolarism," amirite?).

Double Ogre

Scholar
leon1b.jpg

leon2f.jpg

MetalCraze

Arcane
Despite all Blizzard's attempts to turn Diablo 3 into a single-player expansion pack of WoW it still has a chance. They have Boyarsky working on a lore and Jay Wilson (the guy responsible for the combat design in DoW1) on an action part after all.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Major_Blackhart said:
Well, am I the only one that's excited about the new D3 coming out soon?
After all, Leon Boyarsky is working on the title.

You're not the only one :cool:

The atmosphere and presentation of the game seem pretty ace so far. The only thing that I don't like is the absence of character customization by skill points. But it seems to be a good game nonetheless... Especially the focus on the story - Boyarsky's work...

Unfortunately, it will not be out "soon". Expect to wait at least one more year.

The Wizard

Educated
Major_Blackhart said:
the d-grade celebrity whorship is seriously getting on my balls.

hope you enjoy your cartoony diablo clone, i sure as hell won't. even if it was good, do we really need a fourth game that resembles crack cocain?

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
The Wizard said:
Major_Blackhart said:

Well, so far, in all the interviews with Boyarsky about Diablo III, he's tended to say all the right things. I'd say this makes it fair to count his involvement as a positive, without necessarily descending into irrational hero worship. Of course, we all know it could go horribly wrong but here, of all places, I think we're cynical enough for this caveat not to have to be stated every time.

Black

Arcane
The Wizard said:
Major_Blackhart said:
No one gives a shit about your balls. The guy has experience and hasn't said anything stupid yet.

OgreOgre said:
DarkUnderlord said:
NPCs with WoW-style exclamation marks above their heads
WoW-style? Diablo II already have the said exclamation marks.

It's not the vikings who discovered America, even if they did, cause nobody knows it. Same goes with inventions like the telephone or the Lbulb...some had made it first but they're not the known makers.

And actually i don't even remember doing quests in Diablo 2. At least not in the typical WoW fashion, what with the standard 8x3 centimetres window, the standard long talk and the brief description, and the standard reward icons above or below the standard accept/decline button.

A couple of MMO's already had this scheme tho it was different(In exemplum AO), but WoW, again, made it "A THING", and that's why you can safely say that it is WoW which invented it.

Also it is AFTER WoW was released that every single goddamn MMO used that very same structure of quests/excclamation marks... not before, and yet that type of quest was already found. You're thinking it doesn't make sense, uh?

I hate WoW even more than Ovilion. I think they're both the antichrist of videogaming, come to bring woes to humanity.

Destroid said:
Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests said:

What you are saying is WoW popularized these things. You might as well say Halo was the first FPS along your line of reasoning.

That wouldn't make any sense, im not saying WoW is the first third person videogame ever.

The camera positioning and interface are different subjects.

But if all the FPS's after did something the Halo way, then yes, Halo invented something unique inside its genre tho it was already there in its rough form.

After WoW, all the original games like Galaxies and Neocron disappeared.
If WoW had never existed, Tabula Rasa would have been a wonderful game... something like Planetside. WoW kept choking innovation, because the game makers knew that what WoW did was safe money. Now they're prolly changing their mind, but too slowly.

That's it, I hit the main point. WoW created business and miserable no-risk-takers where before there was only dreams, experimentation and passion.

Geofferic

Educated
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Blizzard make WoW and Diablo?

Wouldn't that mean it's a Blizzard style exclamation mark?

lol

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom