Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Alpha Protocol redefines the RPG genre for next-gen gamers

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Alpha Protocol

<a href="http://www.gameon.co.uk/game/preview/xbox-360/alpha-protocol-gamescom-2009-preview?s=cc2d4f6c506d77ac78e1ca37cfb56b61">GameOn take a lookee at Alpha Protocol</a>. Initiate hype mode:
<br>
<blockquote>With a story rivalling the best spy-thriller novels and an immersive, ultra-realistic espionage world, Alpha Protocol will redefine the RPG genre for the next-gen gamer. The title is being developed by Obsidian Entertainment and published by Sega.
<br>
[...]
<br>
All of this is played via a 3rd person perspective in a gritty modern day realistic backdrop taking you to locations all around the globe. Combat is frantic and action packed with the entertainment value set for approximately 30+ hours of gameplay. Keep an eye out during October for this spy thriller, arriving on Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and PC.</blockquote>
<br>
Gritty. <a href="http://palgn.com.au/playstation-3/15120/alpha-protocol-preview/">PALGN also have a perve</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Looking at the current build of the game, it looks to be quite similar to BioWare's Mass Effect in that it feels more like an action title than a traditional run of the mill RPG. Though, unlike Mass Effect, you can’t control what your character looks like. In Alpha Protocol we are given rookie CIA agent Michael Thorton, and that’s it. Obsidian believes that the fun of Michael lies in the fact that he is a blank canvas, with gamers given the opportunity of moulding his personality according to the way that they have Michael interact with other characters in the world as he uncovers the conspiracy behind those that have betrayed him.
<br>
[...]
<br>
Like any good RPG, there is always a 'hub', a base of operations for your player to work out of.</blockquote>
<br>
Good RPGs have a hub?
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">GameBanshee</a>

MetalCraze

Arcane
With a story rivalling the best spy-thriller novels
The bullshit machine starts rolling hard. I wonder where did he read the whole story of AP.

immersive, ultra-realistic espionage world

Alpha Protocol will redefine the RPG genre for the next-gen gamer

Gotta love those ridiculous hype buzz-words

Though, unlike Mass Effect, you can’t control what your character looks like.
But can you do headslam in Mass Effect?

Deleted member 7219

MetalCraze said:
Though, unlike Mass Effect, you can’t control what your character looks like.
But can you do headslam in Mass Effect?

Come on Skyway, you know you're going to buy AP and the first thing you're going to do when you get into a conversation is go for the violent option.

I will too.

Black

Arcane
Newsflash: everything redefines "rpg" for next-gen gamers because they haven't played any RPG in the first place.

Geofferic

Educated
Oh yes...

My favorite line:

the fun of Michael lies in the fact that he is a blank canvas

Except, of course, for his job, his path in the game, his name, how he looks, etc, etc.

I mean, other than like, say, 99% of his features and characteristics, you can tooootally make him your own. Tabula rasa!

bat_boro

Arcane
Re: Oh yes...

Geofferic said:
My favorite line:

the fun of Michael lies in the fact that he is a blank canvas

Except, of course, for his job, his path in the game, his name, how he looks, etc, etc.

I mean, other than like, say, 99% of his features and characteristics, you can tooootally make him your own. Tabula rasa!

Same like that other shit, Planescape: Torment, amirite?

Drakron

Arcane
Except not because TNO is not a blank canvas and his past comes to haunt him, we can define the current incarnation of TNO without invalidating TNO previous incarnations.

Mesqalito

Novice
I dunno if it is already known but here some easter egg :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh0F3EmAjuo
Watch the 57th second of the trailer.
I assume the writings on the plate is hard to understand since it's on russian and with slang.
So the writing says, literally:
"In case of fire
steal, kill,
fuck ducks
and wait for return call."

Foreseeing possible questions, I'll answer:
No, it's not a fake. Because this is not only one russian-related easter egg.
No, it's not usual warning that is used in real life.

Geofferic

Educated
Mesqalito said:
I assume the writings on the plate is hard to understand since it's on russian and with slang.
So the writing says, literally:
"In case of fire
steal, kill,
fuck ducks
and wait for return call."

Foreseeing possible questions, I'll answer:
No, it's not a fake. Because this is not only one russian-related easter egg.
No, it's not usual warning that is used in real life.

Your last sentence in the spoiler is disappointing!

MetalCraze

Arcane
serch said:
Sega fucking Mitsoda's content to the point he decides to go independent.
Alpha Protocol is being made by Obsidian, not Sega.

bat_boro said:
What does PS:T have to do with AP? Why don't you compare it to Mass Effect which it apes?

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
bat_boro said:
What does PS:T have to do with AP?
Let's see...

1. They share the lead designer. Duh.
2. Romancing da ladies is hyped as a major feature.
3. Focus on C&C.
4. EXTREME dialogue options. Yes, PS: T had tons of them for characters with high STR.
5. Freedom in character creation is reduced in favor of the plot.
6. Words, words, words, if the 120 hours of dialogue figure is to be trusted.

MY GOD, THE SIMILIARITY LEVEL, IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!

bat_boro

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
bat_boro said:
What does PS:T have to do with AP? Why don't you compare it to Mass Effect which it apes?

I'm not comparing it in any way, I just noted that in my opinion the main characters look kind of similar in that they're both a blank slate. Yeah, one could make a valid point (as the poster above me) that TNO's past comes to haunt us, but I think that the general idea is more or less the same - to define your characters through your actions, escaping anything pre-defined

Correct me if I'm wrong

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Isn't this game releasing in the same month as a handful of bigger and more wanted titles? It's going to get buried.

Words, words, words, if the 120 hours of dialogue figure is to be trusted.
Which, of course, it's not.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Hümmelgümpf said:
That's the only thing they share.
And?

bat_boro said:
I just noted that in my opinion the main characters look kind of similar in that they're both a blank slate.
Except Mike Thorton is even less of a blank slate than Shepard. Bah they even made him just as EXTREME.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
Hümmelgümpf said:
That's the only thing they share.
And?
2. Romancing da ladies is hyped as a major feature.
3. Focus on C&C.
4. EXTREME dialogue options. Yes, PS: T had tons of them for characters with high STR.
5. Freedom in character creation is reduced in favor of the plot.
6. Words, words, words, if the 120 hours of dialogue figure is to be trusted.

MetalCraze

Arcane
2. Having sex was never a point of PS:T's hype, nor the main feature
3. There are no real C&C in AP and there were no real C&C in PS:T
4. AP doesn't have dialogue options, PS:T never had EXTREME shit like "point-blank shot in da face"/"HEADSLAM!!1"
5. Freedom in character creation is reduced because Obsidian copies Bioware, by being lazy pricks in particular
6. Judging by multiple videos sentences sometimes are even shorter than in ME. 120 hours are obviously bullshit.

PS:T also had good characters, here we have generic arab terrorist, generic mysterious mentor, generic anime "muahaha I'll be back" chick with a huge gun.
In other words - try harder.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
2. Having sex was never a point of PS:T's hype, nor the main feature
It certainly was. Read the vision statement.
babesw.png

It's right on top of page 14.
3. There are no real C&C in AP and there were no real C&C in PS:T
Are there any games that have this rare and elusive "real" breed of C&C?
4. AP doesn't have dialogue options, PS:T never had EXTREME shit like "point-blank shot in da face"/"HEADSLAM!!1"
It sure did. You could strangle Dustmen in the Mortuary or twist an arm of a thug who tried to rob you. EXTREME dialogue include in the second case. That's just from the top of my head.
5. Freedom in character creation is reduced because Obsidian copies Bioware, by being lazy pricks in particular
And freedom in PST was reduced because Avellone was copying the console shit of the time: jRPGs, amirite?

Admit that PST is shit. It just doesn't live up to your high standards of quality.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Hümmelgümpf said:
It certainly was. Read the vision statement.
babesw.png

It's right on top of page 14.
Oh god that's like totally the main feature of PS:T and says "you can fuck all chicks!"

Are there any games that have this rare and elusive "real" breed of C&C?
Yep, and non-linearity which is called by next-gen codexers "C&C" is certainly not a main feature of PS:T either.

It sure did. You could strangle Dustmen in the Mortuary or twist an arm of a thug who tried to rob you. EXTREME dialogue include in the second case. That's just from the top of my head.
Sorry that's not EXTREME. Collar grabbing random people, doing headslams, punching reporters in the face is EXTREME. Punishing thieves and enemies while saving your money/life is not.

And freedom in PST was reduced because Avellone was copying the console shit of the time: jRPGs, amirite?
Just what the fuck PS:T has to do with AP can you answer me? Why do you fanboys constantly bring it into the discussion of any shitty Obsidian game considering that it has next to none relation to Black Isle? Why don't you bring Avellone's Descent to Undermountain, Dark Alliance, KotOR2, his rape of Fallout or the official inspiration aka Mass Effect as examples? Why is it always 10 years old PS:T that "should've had more combat" (c) Avellone?

serch said:
Alpha Protocol is being made by Obsidian, not Sega.

Just like that Alien RPG was.

Wait - Obsidian was developing Aliens RPG? I thought they were just spending SEGA's money for two years on some shit - and then after two years SEGA was like "hey guise, we were giving you money for two fucking years, do you even have a single screenshot of your game?" - and Obsidian was like "Uh oh"

We should all thank skyway for going to so much effort to protect us innocent and impressionable codexers from the evils of the next gen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom