Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Spiderweb Puts Out The Entire Geneforge Saga On One Disc

Tags: Geneforge 5; Jeff Vogel; Spiderweb Software

That's right. Jeff Vogel is now selling <a href="http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=G_Saga&Attributes=Yes&Quantity=1">the entire Geneforge series</a> on one CD for the bulk discount price of $75.<blockquote>Get the full games: Geneforge, Geneforge 2, Geneforge 3, Geneforge 4: Rebellion and Geneforge 5: Overthrow on one CD.</blockquote>I suppose now is as good as any time to get into the series if you haven't.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://gamebanshee.com/">Gamebanshee</A>

Mattresses

Scholar
This man is charging $75 for five copies of the same game on one cd.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes, I agree, his fans are indeed a little foolish.

Andhaira

Arcane
Well he does provide turn based, party based combat. Thats what real rpgs were always all about. Interesting, tactical turnbased combat with tons of stats.

I just look at todays games like drakensang and wistfully reminisce about the wasted oppertunities.

Someone from the codex should seek political office then offer subsidies to video game designers who implement turnbased combat.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Have you really played Geneforge? I tried. A lot.
And as nice the choices and factions and whatnot are, the combat is incredibly uninteresting (to me); I had way more fun in twitchy Dungeon Master. There is too little options of what to do in any given battle, I don't like the shaping system at all, there are too few combat-effecting skills and statistics and the game has the tactical depth of a brick.

This is really just opinion, of course. Can't please everyone. But combat is really not what I'd write home about in Geneforge. Though you know me, I'd write home about nothing in Geneforge. I just can't like his games. Can't even describe why. It's just some internal revulsion.

You know that feeling when you read vore fanfiction? You just can't shake off the sensation that it's simply wrong. That's what Geneforge does to me.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
That's can't be 'just an opinion'. It's tactical, or it's not. Jesus, you're a german aren't you? Aren't germans agaisnt feminist generalist 'just an opinion' bullshit? Guess not. What are you comparing the tactical elements in geneforge to, to say it's not tactical? What does tactical mean here? What I'm saying here, is that I'm trying to determine if this is just some perverted way of saying you don't like the graphics and engine. I mean, I would say geneforge is more tactical than Fallout. Of course, the game has a lot more combat in it than Fallout, so yeah, it changes the experience a lot. Anyway, your argument is bullshit. Internal revulsion? Yeah.

I wouldn't go on my way to defend that shit though, I totally despise spiderweb at this point. GENEFORGE 1! 2! 3! OK WHY NOT 4! AND 5! YOU KNOW U WANT MORE O DAT GOOD SHIT

And then he actually has another series that goes from 1 to 6. In every of those, you start a new character, and all of your actions from the previous games are pretty much meaningless.

I've been siding with the shapers since Geneforge 1, and wow, Rebellion and Overthrow, huh? NO DAMNIT DO I HAVE TO CRUSH THOSE STUPID REBELS EVERY OTHER GAME AHHHH WHERE DOES IT END

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Jasede is a little less outspoken these days, as a part of campaign to show that he is too old to be emotionally invested about videogames.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The sheer fact that 5 games fit on one CD, means he needs to update that damn engine already!

BLOOM!

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
OK I've heard this "the games are the same" for a while now. Are they the same in the same way that Fallout 1 and 2 are the same? In other words, same engine, same graphics, same character system, almost same everything except for different quests and locations. Because if it's like that I don't mind. Someone please elaborate.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Yes. What people are trying to say is that his games look the same and that's, like, totally wrong or something.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Vault Dweller said:
Yes. What people are trying to say is that his games look the same and that's, like, totally wrong or something.
Alright, sounds fine then. Do the games take place in different parts of the world as well?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The bad thing about them looking all the same is that the graphics are ugly and the combat could be better.

But they can be good games if you accept them for what they are (LOL LOWERING YOUR STANDARDS NEW CODEX MEME LOLOLOLOLOLOL) and can stomach the quite horrible graphics. The settings are interesting (especially Geneforge), there's some C&C, turnbased combat, and the factions are usually done very well. I recently played Geneforge 5 and all the factions are believable. They all have reasons for why they do whatever they're doing, they have ideologies that make sense, and the faction relations also make sense.

Also, you can download a quite large demo of each Spiderweb game from the official website so nobody is stopping you from trying them out before buying them.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
I'm happy this won't happen to AoD 1-6. You will make things better and we will love it.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
I see what Jaesun is talking about.

Technically, spiderweb games have tactical turn based.

But really, in many cases, they have a tendency to be rather untactical, as characters have few viable options, positioning is of very limited importance, parties are small and one dimensional and a minimum of emphasis is placed on thinking and developing your tactics.

While tactical turn based games are by far my favorite genre, when they become too untactical, they're an abomination, as instead of thinking about your moves and planning you're just playing a very, very slow and tedious version of a standard hack and slash. He has improved on this somewhat but it's still an issue with his games, few people would play many of them primarily for the tactics.

Dungeon siege may not be tactical, but at least it has the common decency to move things along at a good clip. An untactical turn based rpg can be more offensive and tedious.

Thrasher

Erudite
Positioning is very important in combat. It can make the difference beween fragile creations being killed or not. In fact it's critical, I'd say.

Of course if all you play is a simple spellcaster or melee character without a variety of creation support then I'm sure it would be less interesting.

DefJam101

Arcane
Seems kinda pricey. :?

How long would you guys say it takes to play through all of the games? Like, with no prior knowledge of how they work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom