Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pay Early, Get Stuff in Alpha Protocol Gameworld

Tags: Alpha Protocol; Obsidian Entertainment

In a continuation of the new marketing trend of exclusive in-game items for Collector's Editions and pre-orders (see Gears of War 2, Dragon Age, etc.) Alpha Protocol is giving away different packs of goods for different pre-order packages, each exclusive to different outlets. <a href="http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=70790">No</a>...<a href="http://www.gamecrazy.com/games/game.aspx?id=13878&LF=STL">seriously</a>.<blockquote>Reserve Alpha Protocol and receive the GameStop Exclusive Assault Pack containing:
<br>
<br>
• The GameStop exclusive UC Regulator high damage shotgun and shotgun upgrade kit.
<br>
• The GameStop exclusive Rittergroupen Grizzly high accuracy rifle and rifle upgrade kit.
<br>
• 30 Rounds Phosphorous Ammo
<br>
• 100 Rounds Sub Sonic Rounds
<br>
• 20 Explosive Grenades
<br>
• 10 Epinephrine Spikes
<br>
<br>
In addition, you will gain exclusive access to two modified weapons that can be purchased later in-game to enhance play and give you the upper hand: the Hamilton Howitzer huge volley shotgun and the Samael Retribution rapid-fire rifle.
<br>
[...]
<br>
Pre-order Alpha Protocol and receive the Game Crazy exclusive Stealth Pack with unlockable weapons and extras:
<br>
<br>
• Hamilton Marksman
<br>
• Samael Typhoon
<br>
• 30 Tranquilizer Rounds
<br>
• 100 Hollow Point Rounds
<br>
• 20 Remote Mines
<br>
• 10 Radio Mimics</blockquote>The bad news...this is a really goofy marketing gimmick. The good news is, all it seems like are a couple of special weapons and some bonus ammo. Also, ammo exists in this game, and in different types. And I'm curious as to what Radio Mimics do. Could be some interesting gadget play. Also it's only slated for PS3/360 as of yet, but <a href="http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?s=a70ac37c31c73ac0fe1d2a4b9832eaa7&showtopic=52659&st=0&p=952524&#entry952524">Obsidian's PR isn't totally against some PC extras</a>, as if PC users would care. I mean...it's not like everytime one of these things has been on a PC a quick opening of the console to spawn the bonuses hasn't worked across all versions (see BG2).
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://gamebanshee.com/">Gamebanshee</A>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"In a continuation of the new marketing trend of exclusive in-game items for Collector's Editions and pre-orders"

Not new. This has been going on for years.

Silellak

Cipher
KKKthulhu. said:
No I'm pretty sure this just started recently.

Not really. The first example I can think of is the Collector's Edition of BG2, but there may even be others before that.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"No I'm pretty sure this just started recently"

Ignorance is what makes you who are you. Two threads back to back, and in both you are so blind you cna't see past your own 'experience' and see things as they truly are.

This is not a new thing. Neither is that other thing.

Gerrard

Arcane
Or you can just wait 5 minutes after the release and get those codes off the internet.

Gerrard said:
Or you can just wait 5 minutes after the release and get those codes off the internet.

Exactly. If they've become more common recently it is because it's a console gimmick. They don't expect to sell them in significant quantities to PC gamers - it's for console gamers stupid enough to pay money for the 'privilege' of wrecking their game balance, and who lack the means (actual or mental) to download the codes. Nothing to see here, move along...

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
How about if you buy from Amazon via the Codex link you get a special multi-barreled gun?

Apoc_Tao

Novice
Well, who can blame Obsidian for learning to play by the rules? Too bad they are making a shitty shooter, but maybe once they are big enough to get away with anything...well, maybe then they will do something remarkable.

I really doubt it, but maybe something good will come out of it if they have commercial success for once.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Has been going on for ages, yes.
Doesn't make it any less horrible, does it?

filogreek

Scholar
Gerrard said:
Well it might require a simple universal code that anyone can find (a recent example I've seen is Need For Speed's 'exclusive' cars password), but you never know. They could require online registration for game codes etc.
This ammo/weapon stuff isn't that special though, so it may not need such pointless authentication.

fastpunk

Arbiter
I just hope the game isn't really easy (recent videos show an anemic A.I. that's very easy to gun downl/evade/mislead). That would render these powerful extra weapons pretty much useless.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I really was not expecting something like this from SEGA, but since SEGA is the Boss, there really is not much OEI can do.

Publishers. Declining RPG's since 1999.

kris

Arcane
This is really good. I mean you really deserve some incentive when you are going to buy a beta for the final game that comes out some months after release.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
i don't think the inclusion of a free blow-job from Alizee dressed up like Satan could get me excited for this game.

...oh wait. :?

ok maybe that.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Jaesun said:
I really was not expecting something like this from SEGA, but since SEGA is the Boss, there really is not much OEI can do.

I agree - it's all publisher's fault, poor developers have no saying at all.

Silellak

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
Jaesun said:

I agree - it's all publisher's fault, poor developers have no saying at all.

In some cases, it's true.

I'm not saying this is (or isn't) one of those cases, and honestly that excuse certainly is cliche and overused, but just because it's cliche and overused doesn't mean it isn't sometimes accurate, particularly with things like marketing antics.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Somehow I doubt that SEGA came up with adding crappy looking weapons and bullets which is so much fail themselves. No seriously - bonus bullets? Hahaha
(Stealth pack with guns, bonus bullets and mines is also lol)

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
how the hell did Avellone get suckered into this shite anyway?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom