Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Risen being honed to perfection for October release

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Piranha Bytes; Risen

<a href="http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/risen-set-to-rise-on-october-2nd">According to the press release</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Risen will make its international debut on October 02, 2009. The new RPG from the inventors of Gothic, Piranha Bytes, has already entered the Beta phase and is now being honed to perfection. Risen will be available for PC and Xbox 360®, the video game and entertainment system from Microsoft®.
<br>
<br>
"The release date for Risen enables us to introduce the game to the market in the best possible condition," says Daniel Oberlerchner, Brand Manager at Deep Silver. "We have been in the Beta phase here for several weeks, and now our focus lies on eliminating the remaining bugs."
<br>
<br>
The contents of Risen are already complete, and all dialogs have been recorded. A total of three quality assurance teams are working on the game – one directly at Piranha Bytes, one at Deep Silver, plus an additional external studio.</blockquote>
<br>
So does that mean we'll only have one or two CTD's instead of the current industry standard of five?
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>asper</b>!

bhlaab

Erudite
International release? Hmmm, I prefer to have a "quality buffer" timeframe when it comes to east-euro games.

bhlaab

Erudite
YourConscience said:
Eh, since when is Germany counted as eastern Europe? Or did I miss some sudden change in continental shaping?

Fuckin, since the built the wall through half of it

The release date for Risen enables us to introduce the game to the market in the best possible condition ... our focus lies on eliminating the remaining bugs ... A total of three quality assurance teams are working on the game ...
Methinks they are really desperate to tell us that we won't have another Gothic 3... they better be honest. That was one buggy game at release. The sun shining through mountains, for Christ's sake. Being blinded by bloom and lens flare while in the shadows was really... interesting.
Still, I enjoyed G3 for a while, but I'm not going to put up with another game as buggy as that.

Texas Red

Whiner
"The release date for Risen enables us to introduce the game to the market in the best possible condition,"

Off the top of my head there's AP and DA being released on October, not mention hordes of other blockbusters from other genres.

I don't understand, what's so bad about releasing something during the Summer, to avoid other blockbusters and catch the Summer 3 month long school break?

denizsi

Arcane
Summer = minimal communication. People take trips, go around, etc. When not in summer, you have every opportunity to tell or hear from the next guy about hot shit. More opportunities to see ads on your daily routine, etc.

DriacKin

Arbiter
denizsi said:
Summer = minimal communication. People take trips, go around, etc. When not in summer, you have every opportunity to tell or hear from the next guy about hot shit. More opportunities to see ads on your daily routine, etc.

And yet, it works exactly the opposite for films. Summer blockbusters sell far more tickets and make far more money at the box office than the rest of the year.

Nah, I think we're going to have to live with cross-platform for larger budget titles from here on out. I'd say the news is actually good, though. The one thing that annoys most of me most when it comes to developers is when they don't learn from their mistakes. And PB's biggest mistake was releasing a buggy, barely finished product, and they're taking it seriously so it doesn't happen again. Risen may actually be one of the few games I'm looking forward to (AoD already!).

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
It'd better be decent, or else Pirahna Bytes will be done for. I, for one, would be willing to send Lithuanian hitmen after them if the game's a flop.

EDIT I'll would, lawl.

Volrath said:
Xbox 360? Game's doomed.
Was my first thought as well. But in interviews they said another developer is doing the console version while they are focusing on the pc version.

There are some things i don`t like but they aren`t really game-breaking:
a) Obviously you have different dialogue options and when you click on one of them, the character will read it for you, which doesn´t makes a lot of sense except when you don`t know what he`s going to say ala ass effect.
b)Character animations for opening a chest. The character knees down and opens it. I prefer the faster method, you click on it and the inventar insta-popups.
From previews/interviews it`s still impossible to judge if it`s fail or not. Although some things look promising.

denizsi

Arcane
This will probably be the most stable and least buggy PB game, but also the most uninspired and badly designed.

As for console release: if you were making a fancy looking game, and going consoles was an option, would you not do it? I'd consolize the shit out of my game (only for the console version) for the biggest bang and who the fuck shouldn't? I could even release a console exclusive DLC later on to make the console version identical to PC version. And vica versa.

bat_boro

Arcane
thesheeep said:
He probably is an oracle.

Maybe even the same one from The Matrix.

On the point that Risen will be badly designed because it is heading for consoles - I don't know, Gothic 1 + 2 looked like games designed for consoles anyway. There even were rumors that G1 was planned for consoles in the first place, and that was later scraped. So I just can't see what harm would a console release do to Risen, given the fact that Pb's games are not classic PC RPGs.

Shannow

Waster of Time
bat_boro said:
thesheeep said:

On the point that Risen will be badly designed because it is heading for consoles - I don't know, Gothic 1 + 2 looked like games designed for consoles anyway. There even were rumors that G1 was planned for consoles in the first place, and that was later scraped. So I just can't see what harm would a console release do to Risen, given the fact that Pb's games are not classic PC RPGs.
Not just rumor. They've stated repeatedly that G1 was made with consoles in mind.

But who watches the QA-teams? *conspiracy*

denizsi

Arcane
Claw said:
denizsi said:
This will probably be the most stable and least buggy PB game, but also the most uninspired and badly designed.
Do tell. You gotta have some info on the game that we don't.

I can't, I know too much. Whenever I share my knowledge on unreleased stuff, it leads to chaos and lots of butthurt. See corpse crew thread for a recent example.

bhlaab

Erudite
Shannow said:
bat_boro said:
thesheeep said:

Not just rumor. They've stated repeatedly that G1 was made with consoles in mind.

Who assures that the QA team is quality??

bgillisp

Scholar
bhlaab said:
Shannow said:
bat_boro said:
thesheeep said:

Who assures that the QA team is quality??

Who assumes there really is a QA team to begin with? I've played some games with such bad bugs that could have been caught with 3 hours of playing that I've started to wonder if some of these so called QA teams don't really exist anymore

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom