Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Daggerfall available for free

Monolith

Prophet
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall

It's the 15th anniversary of The Elder Scrolls series and to celebrate Bethesda <a href="http://bethblog.com/index.php/2009/07/09/daggerfall-now-available-for-free/">gives away Daggerfall for free</a>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Five years ago, to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of The Elder Scrolls, we released The Elder Scrolls: Arena as a free download. If you do the math, that means the series is now celebrating its 15th Anniversary. So despite saying we’d never do it, we’ve decided to release The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall as a <a href="http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/downloads_games.htm">FREE download</a> too!</blockquote>
<br>
For all those too lazy to find a working copy, here's your chance to finally take a shot at the alpha version. Unfortunately Daggerfall has never reached a later stage.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=34370">Thanks, xuerebx</a>

Durwyn

Prophet
All games are available for free... If you know where to look for them...

Monolith

Prophet
Durwyn said:
All games are available for free... If you know where to look for them...
Yeah, but only a few are available on the developer's (or what's left of it) website.

Dolar

Novice
It seems their servers are overloaded, who would have thought that many would want to play a 15 year old game.

deuxhero

Arcane
I think the free part is the reason.

I heard Daggerfall has choices/consequences, does it? I know the manual had a brillant take that at the mentality the seris would latter fall in.

Durwyn

Prophet
Dolar said:
It seems their servers are overloaded, who would have thought that many would want to play a 15 year old game.

Most of them are probably Beth fanbois who thought that ES started with Oblivion. They'll most likely stop playing at first dungeon, and return to ESF with deep thoughts how Oblivion is superior to DF.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Tried and the download works fine for me. Just wanted to be sure my theory in the other thread wasn't being contradicted. :roll:

They'll most likely stop playing at first dungeon,

I have a feeling most of them will stop at the use DOSBox part.

Ferital

Novice
An alpha version, but still an excellent game ;). And for me one of the best CRPGs of all times. Despite all its bugs and flaws, Daggerfall has this little je ne sais quoi that makes it far better than most games...

denizsi

Arcane
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Now all the lowlife scums and peasents will get their unsophisticated and illiterate hands on this jagged piece of gem for nothing, absolutely nothing at all! They should instead pitch it to GOG.com. Guys at GOG.com could at least do the game some justice by compiling a quality pack of everything for the game, eg. walkthroughs, mp3'ed game music, hints, guides, maps and whatnot, in addition to writing their own wrapper for the game to work in any modern OS without fuck ups.

Luzur

Good Sir
and here ive been distributing download links for several months over PM to people asking about Daggerfall, and now Beth release it for free.

oh well, there is still Redguard and Battlespire.

Tardvapor

Novice
"And to further enhance the nostalgia, we will be capping your maximum download speed for this 148 MB file at dial up speeds!"

bhlaab

Erudite
denizsi said:
Dumbed Down Operating System Box.

I invented this joke in 1990 and you stole it from me you bastard

(fyi I'm also the one who invented replacing the S in Mircosoft with a $)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom