Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Alan Miranda Interviewed at Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2: Mysteries of Westgate

The CEO of Ossian Studios, Alan Miranda, did <a href="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/06/30/the-quest-journal-mysteries-of-westgate-interview/">an interview with the folks at Rock, Paper, Shotgun</a>, speaking on the founding of the studio, the development of Mysteries of Westgate, and the response to Mysteries of Westgate.<blockquote>Coming off the high (well… utter exhaustion, really) of releasing Daggerford, we were soon contacted by Atari. They hadn’t missed noticing how well DoD was doing and were very interested in having the same thing done for NWN2. At the time, we had just received the beta version of the NWN2 game/toolset, so while we experimented with that, we started pitching ideas to Atari about the game we would make for them. By January 2007 we were set to go with MoW.
<br>
<br>
Looking back at how things ended up with MoW’s release in April 2009 (over a year and a half after finishing the game), and remembering how Atari initially wanted us to keep the new content in MoW very light in order to finish and release the game before the first expansion (MotB), I am left to wonder what the game would have been like had we been able to add more content with a longer development. Some reviewers have mistakenly compared our adventure pack to an expansion pack and criticized it for not having an expansion amount of content. Budget-wise, they are a very different scale of game. Furthermore, we were contracted to deliver a 12-hour game, whereas we delivered a game that takes most players between 15 and 25 hours to play (75% of players according to a recent poll we did). Just like DoD, we went above and beyond with MoW.
<br>
[...]
<br>
Having decided to set our game in a city, we wanted to make it a place you could explore, with interesting people and places to come across. So exploration was key, but so was making Westgate feel like a city and not simply filler, with empty streets to fill in the space between Plot Point A and Plot Point B.
<br>
<br>
So we did a lot of planning on how to fill in the city with sidequests, ambient NPCs, encounters (aka fights), and interactive objects. I had seen how popular our sidequests were in Darkness over Daggerford (we don’t do the typical FedEx “Find my potato” variety) and so the gameplay for MoW was given a similar sandbox aspect to DoD, with many sidequests that you could undertake. However, MoW isn’t a complete sandbox style of game, and nor is it a strictly linear one with its core story – it’s somewhere in the middle. I think we did a good job on this aspect.
<br>
[...]
<br>
Perhaps having to hype the game for a year and a half (because we never knew when it would release), also led to expectations that MoW was bigger than it was. It is interesting to note that out of the 8 reviews for MoW on Metacritic (where it received a 73% average), the top 4 reviews are European and the bottom 4 are American. Extract whatever conclusion you like from that.</blockquote>I find that interesting that the response was so divided by geographical location. Interesting to say the least. The interview has a lot more information, so it's worth a read.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://rpgwatch.com/">RPGWatch</A>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
" It is interesting to note that out of the 8 reviews for MoW on Metacritic (where it received a 73% average), the top 4 reviews are European and the bottom 4 are American. Extract whatever conclusion you like from that."

Here's my extraction from that dumbnutz. YOU ARE A BIGOT.

Amer-i-ca
Amer-i-ca
America, fuck yeah!
Here we come to save the motherfuckin day yeah!
America, fuck yeah
Freedom is the only way!
Terrorists your game is through, cause now you have to answer to
America, fuck yeah!
So lick my butt and suck on my balls!
America, fuck yeah!

FUCK YEAH!

Volourn said:
" It is interesting to note that out of the 8 reviews for MoW on Metacritic (where it received a 73% average), the top 4 reviews are European and the bottom 4 are American. Extract whatever conclusion you like from that."

Correction, a JUSTIFIED bigot:)

Interesting that he can just point to a set of facts, and your first reaction is to go 'he's making the US look like idiots'. I guess the facts really do speak for themselves?

Isn't one possible conclusion that the mediocre writing is far more forgivable when you're seeing it in translation than when it's a native English speaker's lack of style?

Jim Cojones

Prophet
WanderingThrough2 said:
Isn't one possible conclusion that the mediocre writing is far more forgivable when you're seeing it in translation than when it's a native English speaker's lack of style?
Being able to judge the level of writing + computer games reviewers? :lol: The same reviewers that praised Fallout for writing? Or the guys who can write a review of a dialogue-heavy game not even mentioning there is some dialogue?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Volourn said:

Oh, so you're American? An oversensitive American? That explains so much.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
I always figured he was a Canadian.

No way (though admittedly, aren't Bioware Canadian?). But anyway, my condolences for sharing a nationality with him.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Oh, so you're American? An oversensitive American? That explains so much."

Butthurt, bigot, ignorant, and retarded. A great combination you are, are you combination great a!

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Lesifoere said:
OldSkoolKamikaze said:

No way (though admittedly, aren't Bioware Canadian?). But anyway, my condolences for sharing a nationality with him.

Yeah, Bioware is Canadian. That's why I figured he was too. Like how all those Polacks adamantly defend The Witcher.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
if game is only inglisch is problem, not understand much when play

(why do polacks get polish version but germans get no deutsch? diz is not verry kind Ossians)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
VentilatorOfDoom said:
(why do polacks get polish version but germans get no deutsch? diz is not verry kind Ossians)

Because we have an awesome local publisher hurrhurrhurr.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
It is interesting to note that out of the 8 reviews for MoW on Metacritic (where it received a 73% average), the top 4 reviews are European and the bottom 4 are American. Extract whatever conclusion you like from that.
My conclusion is that translators had better writing skills than you guys did. ;)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
if game is only inglisch is problem, not understand much when play

Btw, do you get to fight humans in NWN2 or are they robots.. err... I mean golems?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Shannow said:
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
So Canada isn't in America? My geography teachers LIED!
Nowadays you can't trust anyone.

Dirty foreigner.

Wikipedia said:
The United States of America (commonly referred to as the United States, the U.S., the USA, or America)

Dictionary.com said:
A·mer·i·ca (ə-měr'ĭ-kə)

1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas (-kəz) The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

America = USA. Deal with it.

Zomg

Arbiter
I feel guilty for not buying this.

Plus it's probably going to fall into a direct download legal memory hole and I won't be able to get a bargain bin version in a couple years as is my custom for stuff I only have B-level interest in. Bring back the shovelware CDs (well, Blu rays) with every game I missed in the previous five years.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Zomg said:
I feel guilty for not buying this.

Plus it's probably going to fall into a direct download legal memory hole and I won't be able to get a bargain bin version in a couple years as is my custom for stuff I only have B-level interest in. Bring back the shovelware CDs (well, Blu rays) with every game I missed in the previous five years.

Why guilty? You're not obliged to buy every single DLC content out there ever, which this essentially is. And Ossian is nothing special.

Shannow said:
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
So Canada isn't in America? My geography teachers LIED!
Nowadays you can't trust anyone.

Canada is Africa, according to US and canadian people, didn't you know?

i argued with a canadian who denies being american.

As if an austrian claims that he's not european.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom