Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Alpha Protocol Video Walkthrough

Tags: Alpha Protocol; Obsidian Entertainment

GameTrailers has a <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/video/global-conspiracy-alpha-protocol/51869">video walkthrough</a> of Alpha Protocol up, showing the E3 level with an Obsidian developer doing some commentary. I think it would have looked better had they used the magic of editing and good marketing to show how different paths would play out in different ways; play a comparative to really drive that point home. Maybe even show the pre-mission equipment choices and how a different character archetype would have a different loadout. As it stands now, Obsidian isn't exactly showing their best stuff, displaying what looks to be...well...Mass Effect but not in space.
<br>
<br>
Also it's likely "old", but it's new to me, and I'm sure some others might be interested.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://gamebanshee.com/">Gamebanshee</A>

Callaxes

Arbiter
Was there anyone who played Mass Effect and thought that its best feature was the combat? The market has already labeled AP as a ME clone whether they like it or not.

So why show 10 minutes of combat? Wouldn't they already know that would be a bad idea? There are so many RPGs that show off their combat in either the trailer or the demo out of pure inertia, aware that it's awful.

Marketing is supposed to be creative, in fact it's supposed to be challenging and creative. If not, it's at least supposed to be smart. You want to show that your game has balls? Sure go ahead! Just don't put a shit infested pink rubber duck on display.

I really want to like AP but it doesn`t lets me, some design desicions are beyond stupid:
-Symbols basically everwhere and for everything, even for enemies
-Afaik difficulty levels must be unlocked
-"Oh luk im low on health, im gunna press button for health kit hyuk hyuk"
-The AI: Staring at you for 5 seconds before they pull the trigger

Not to mention the coversystem, minigames and whatnot.
Nominated for the FOTY Award.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
So why show 10 minutes of combat? Wouldn't they already know that would be a bad idea?

Do you think the game will consist of anything else? As far as I gathered, you've got a hub, where you can buy weapons and talk to people. Everything else will be a level full of combat, peppered up with a few talking npcs. They haven't shown a single non-combat area. I don't think there will be any non-combat areas other than the hubs.

baronjohn

Cipher
SimpleComplexity said:
-The AI: Staring at you for 5 seconds before they pull the trigger

This is actually reasonably realistic and something that's missing from most video games. Namely the fact that outside of direct battle, friend or foe identification is not easy.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Now that I think of it, it really is like Mass Effect. In ME you've got a hub, your ship that is, then you've got the planets where you have one main mission where all you do is shoot people (and sometimes you run into a talking npc). Now and then you run back to the other hub, the big galactic ship thing.

I could be wrong, but that's the impression I'm getting. They should focus on what makes the game different from ME in their marketing.

Texas Red

Whiner
Callaxes said:
Was there anyone who played Mass Effect and thought that its best feature was the combat? The market has already labeled AP as a ME clone whether they like it or not.

So why show 10 minutes of combat? Wouldn't they already know that would be a bad idea? There are so many RPGs that show off their combat in either the trailer or the demo out of pure inertia, aware that it's awful.

It's a well known sign of the Decline. Remember during the development of MotB all they did was show off epic battles against gnolls? Nobody even considered the game seriously until that beta tester or designer came out and stated that MotB is the best RPG since PS:T. There's a mile long gap between developers and publishers whom I've heard arrange these showings.

I recall vividly during the E3 or some such show that Feargus fellow was showing MotB in it's full glory: the fights that you have against epic gnolls before the Academy and the combat in the starting cave.

BearBomber

Scholar
Gametrailers delivers:

I really, really hope this game succeeds. It looks really cool and I would hate to see such an ambitious project flop. I will definitely be playing when I get the chance!

Voodoo Daddy

Novice
Finally a video quote provides an intelligent opinion:

"why would you want to be stealth if you have to fight boss battles? There is no way you can sneak up on her meaning you need to buff up your other stats."

Kingston said:
Now that I think of it, it really is like Mass Effect. In ME you've got a hub, your ship that is, then you've got the planets where you have one main mission where all you do is shoot people (and sometimes you run into a talking npc). Now and then you run back to the other hub, the big galactic ship thing.

I could be wrong, but that's the impression I'm getting. They should focus on what makes the game different from ME in their marketing.

It's Obsidian. If they distance themselves from Bioware all that will be left is a bunch of durr hurr dogs running around and licking each others butts, and they won't even be textured properly.

Raapys

Arcane
This really does look like they just replaced the textures and models in ME and kept just about everything else.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Kingston said:

Indeed. Except there were other hubs aka those two storyline planets. You arrive at them, do some linear quests that involve shooting or making choices that don't have any consequences and then shit brakes loose and off you go for a hour of shooting after which a planet isn't available anymore.
And the gunplay is done in such boring way in GoW too that I think whether it's some kind of UE3 default or something.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I didn't go past that para-military chick shoving her bra in your face. Games today really are caricatural. :roll:

The good thing is that I don't mind having an ancient machine that much.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
There are definitely divergent paths and consequences in the game...some of them gruesomely different...where you can do horrible things if you chose to.

Yes, all the paths have some similarity to them in the sense that everyone who plays the game will go to Moscow and meet Sie. How they deal with Sie through out the game can be completely different.

Not including generic thugs and guards, it is possible to kill almost everyone in the entire game...or not kill anyone, again excluding guards and thugs.

Though now that I think about it, there is a non-lethal takedown for guards and thugs too...

Wow that cougar milf hasa lot of armor hidden in that pink bra and tanktop (reference the mini-boss fight in the end).

Also, Thornton's look is improving from the Abercrombie & Fitch model you used previously

thornton.jpg

but he still doesn't strike me as a James Bond get with all the ladies type.

Chefe

Erudite
I thought his look was meant to parrot Gordon Freeman, while his mannerisms were meant to parrot the three B's.

Rosh

Erudite
Rosh said:
Tom Clancy's Mass Effect.

2:20 - It even looks like the same skill system.

3:50 - "There's also uh different playstyles based upon the uh skills you've upgraded. So if you were a stealthy you wouldn't be going through with guns blazing like this. You're gonna try to sneak past, avoid people, take out people silently." Funny, if I was a stealthy, I would be wondering why I was wasting my time avoiding enemies when that character can just breeze through the joint. Also, the boss fights would seem to pose a problem for a stealthy unless the Super Secret Kung-Fu Grip works from behind on them, too. Oh, wait...they are on a catwalk above you while other enemies charge towards you...

4:00, 6:15 - If you thought Frogger Hacking was stupid, check out "follow the number back through the little maze" hacking.

4:30 - Weapons modifications also look the same.

10:50 - Hacking by Matching the Numbers That Don't Move.

Verdict: So far, it's an Ass Effect clone. Pity that all of the originality has been lost from Obsidian, because some of the folks there have some talent. It's obviously wasted on these shitty shooter clones. Are they just not trying anymore?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Anthony Davis said:
Though now that I think about it, there is a non-lethal takedown for guards and thugs too...

Aha - what about pre-scripted linear triggers like the one where you hack the comp via craptastic minigame, triggers click, doors open and enemies... uhhhh... wait until you go out and kill them.

Tigranes

Arcane
-Afaik difficulty levels must be unlocked
No evidence of this.

"why would you want to be stealth if you have to fight boss battles? There is no way you can sneak up on her meaning you need to buff up your other stats."

Because boss fights are optional? Does the Codex trust Gametrailers comments to provide insight now? Although,there better be a stealthy way to deal with handlers you dislike, not just 'enter boss battle'.

The AI was completely useless though. Horrible, horrible memories of both KOTORs, except the style of combat now puts even more emphasis on passable AI. Was Mass Effect AI this retarded?

Rosh

Erudite
Tigranes said:
The AI was completely useless though. Horrible, horrible memories of both KOTORs, except the style of combat now puts even more emphasis on passable AI. Was Mass Effect AI this retarded?

Unbelievably so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom