Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview A Wight By Any Other Name....

Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

Bioware has once again updated the Dragon Age website's creature section, this time profiling both the <a href="http://dragonage.bioware.com/creature_devouring_corpse.html">Devouring Corpse</a><blockquote>As demons pass through the Veil into our world, they seek out that which they desire most: Life. Unable to distinguish between those that are living and those that are not, many demons possess the bodies of the dead. Trapped within the lifeless corpse, the demon is driven mad and will lash out at those around it who are truly alive.
<br>
<br>
A devouring corpse is a body possessed by a hunger demon. It has a ravenous appetite and will seek to feed on any living thing it finds. Many of these creatures have demonstrated the ability to drain the very life force from their opponents.</blockquote>as well as the <a href="http://dragonage.bioware.com/creature_arcane_horror.html">Arcane Horror.</a><blockquote>Every child knows that an abomination is a creature created when a demon possesses a mage. Few realize, however, that the dangers of possession extend even beyond the mage's lifetime. Demons often cannot distinguish between a living being and a dead one and will readily take control of either––which may explain the Chantry's introduction of the cremation ritual. When a mage's corpse is possessed by a pride demon, the specific abomination that results is known as an arcane horror, a powerful creature possessing both the twisted insanity that afflicts most undead as well as the magical power that the mage wielded when alive. Although not nearly as capable as a true abomination created from a living mage, the arcane horror often demonstrates mastery over both blood magic and other animated corpses.</blockquote>Those don't sound like derivatives of Dungeons and Dragons undead in the least...no sir. So much for "low fantasy" as well, though I suppose that went out the window a long time ago
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://gamebanshee.com/">Gamebanshee</A>

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
What the Hell happened to the "unique" (lollolool) lore they supposedly took 'years' crafting? I'd be embarrassed to be working on Dragon Age right now.

"After years of hard labour and slaving away, we may finally present to you DA's very own special lore... DRAGONS AND ZOMBIES!"

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"Low fantasy" as in low imagination, right?
Because those are just like other undead too, only with a slightly different backstory.

BearBomber

Scholar
The VG audience is getting exactly what the deserve. There are no succesfull pnp RPG franchise that is stealing straight from Tolkien without addind anything accept DnD and WFPRG, and they are succesfull only because of the casual crowd, nostalgia, fame from the 80's, and last but not least video game fans picking up RPG's resembling games that they like, because they don't want to search for anything new.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Is that front page material? DA lore is lame, ok, we got it the first time with the high uber leet epic dragon. Can we talk about something slightly more interesting? I don't think we had a look at Divinity2's creatures for instance.

dragonfk

Erudite
Damn. Slowly it occurs to me that Mass Effect probably is a pinnacle of next-gen games from Bioware. And certainly it will be better game than DA.

Chefe

Erudite
This is depressing. I remember back when Bioware exclaimed that Dragon Age would return to the roots of Baldur's Gate - the setting moreso the first than the second - a low level adventure but significant nonetheless. It would be low fantasy and down to earth. It would feature realistic armor and weapons. Now... now this is what it has become. We cannot blame EA because they did not own the studio long enough. We have no one to blame except Bioware, which saddens me even more. The studio had so much potential, but instead of dying off, it is actively destroying the genre we love so much.

The future is Bethesda and Bioware. We should all just end this pointless charade and give up. RPGs will never be challenging. They will never be art. They will never be anything significant. The future doesn't belong to us. The future belongs to fools.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I think Bioware is managing too many projects, what with Mass Effect Deuce, Dragon Age, the Star Wars KOTOR MMO and who knows what else in the pipeline. It may be facile for them to fall back upon the familiar for some of the seemingly inconsequential bestiary but those kinds of oversights do add up to high fantasy for high adventure. I am so wanting of a decent RPG right now even a generic one would more than suffice.
The Codexian hivemind is rarely wrong on defining the type of RPG and Dragon Age being a generic fantasy action RPG seems to be the general consensus.

DraQ

Arcane
Why is no one capable of making unique worlds like Morrowind's Tamriel any more?
Why does nobody care to do something unique, like evolved vampires (not named anything like "vampyreans", just plain old "vampires" BTW) from SR?

Why does "low fantasy" mean turning down the imagination, but leaving all the high-fantasy/heroic-fantasy crap intact? How can anyone even turn the imagination down if typical fantasy is devoid of inspiration?

Lastly, what the bloody fuck?

P.S. The most memorable wights to me are undead walking WMDs from Myth games anyway.

Chefe

Erudite
Pegultagol said:
I think Bioware is managing too many projects, what with Mass Effect Deuce, Dragon Age, the Star Wars KOTOR MMO and who knows what else in the pipeline. It may be facile for them to fall back upon the familiar for some of the seemingly inconsequential bestiary but those kinds of oversights do add up to high fantasy for high adventure. I am so wanting of a decent RPG right now even a generic one would more than suffice.
The Codexian hivemind is rarely wrong on defining the type of RPG and Dragon Age being a generic fantasy action RPG seems to be the general consensus.

They have merged with Mythic, who will be handling the KOTOR MMO. They have EA's money and resources, and a large studio. They are only limited by their imagination, talent, intelligence, and motivation.

Rhalle

Magister
Chefe said:
This is depressing. I remember back when Bioware exclaimed that Dragon Age would return to the roots of Baldur's Gate - the setting moreso the first than the second - a low level adventure but significant nonetheless. It would be low fantasy and down to earth. It would feature realistic armor and weapons. Now... now this is what it has become. We cannot blame EA because they did not own the studio long enough. We have no one to blame except Bioware, which saddens me even more. The studio had so much potential, but instead of dying off, it is actively destroying the genre we love so much.

The future is Bethesda and Bioware. We should all just end this pointless charade and give up. RPGs will never be challenging. They will never be art. They will never be anything significant. The future doesn't belong to us. The future belongs to fools.

The game they could have made-- realistic aesthetic, low magic, adult-- could have been very interesting.

But they made another Bioware cartoon instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom