Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Troika Needs YOUR Help

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Steve Moret; Temple of Elemental Evil; Troika Games

Believe it or don't, <a href="http://www.troikagames.com">Troika</a> is offering continued support for their much berated product, <a href="http://www.troikagames.com/toee.htm">Temple of Elemental Evil</a>. As you all know it was a buggy game but Steve Moret hasn't given up on it just yet, so neither should you.
<br>
<br>
So now this is where <b>you</b> come in. Troika needs volunteers, preferably virgins... I mean D&D Rules Lawyers to devote a few hours of their time every day to beta-test the new patch. Here's exactly what Steve had to say:
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
I'm getting ready to submit the second patch to Atari; there will be a little bit of a delay for them to Secu-ROM the new executable and hopefully we can begin testing the second patch shortly.
<br>
<br>
In the mean time I'm looking for volunteers (preferably those who think they know the D&D ruleset like the back of their hand, and who get extremely angry when the rules aren't EXACTLY right) who would be willing to spend 2-3 hours a day beta testing the data portion of the new patch.
<br>
<br>
Once the executable is Secu-ROMed, these people will also probably be asked to help test the full release of the second patch. Their input will also probably go towards any future patches (of which I plan to make ad infinitum).
<br>
<br>
If you are interested in helping test/report bugs and develop future patches for ToEE please e-mail <a href="mailto:toee-bugs@genocide.net">this address</a> and include the following in your e-mail:
<br>
1) your full name
<br>
2) your date of birth
<br>
3) city and state you currently live in
<br>
4) the computer setup you will be testing on
<br>
5) a little blurb on why you want to test
<br>
<br>
Optionally you can also include an instant messenging handle (ICQ,AIM,MSN,Yahoo). Also, if you have an e-mail address you'd prefer to be mailed back at please include that as well.
<br>
<br>
Priority will probably be given to those who show a good level of communication and ability to handle responsibility. Most likely you will be required to sign an NDA and other legally binding agreements. This has yet to be 100% determined.
<br>
<br>
IMPORTANT NOTE: This in no way indicates that Atari will not continue to support the project. Infact, they have been extremely helpful in making sure that all of my needs to continue work on ToEE are being met.</blockquote>
<br>
How's that for continued support? So what are you waiting for? Sign up now!
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=344418">Atari TOEE Forums</a>

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Not too shabby, if you ask me. Nice to see Steve still wants to keep this game in top shape. This following quote however, I find hilarious for some reason:

IMPORTANT NOTE: This in no way indicates that Atari will not continue to support the project. Infact, they have been extremely helpful in making sure that all of my needs to continue work on ToEE are being met.

:lol:

Rosh

Erudite
DrattedTin said:
Presumably, the ale & whores supply is well taken care of by Atari.

Then I'll have to give my compliments to Atari, then.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I'll say something; it seems that Troika and Atari to a lesser degree know they screwed up big time; and are now kissin' some ass to prepare for the upcoming sequel so they don't lost any consumers next time. :cool:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I don't care if they're 'kissin some ass', Volourn. It's good that there's people who still think about the customer, and think about making more customers. It's what I call good business. It's about time the customers get some recognition, and about time developers and publishers start dealing with the mistakes they made

As for a sequel to TOEE, bring it on!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Please. Thinking about the customer? This is thinking about the future bottom line.

Voss

Erudite
That is thinking about the customer
Customer = $$

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Nobody thinks about customers out of a love to them. In the end it's all about sales, BUT...considering that many companies prefer to fuck the customer because of short-term gains (Interplay, Atari, etc), I really appreciate the fact that Troika respect people who buy their games and I'd not take it for granted just because it's the right thing to do.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No, it's not. It's more like thinking about dollars, and since the only way is to get sales is to get customers so it's I want $$ = I neee customers.

That said, the biggest problem here is not that theya re doing this 'cause it is a good thing; but because of how it came it out. Other gaming companies already plan to make sure their products work as well as possible; and don't wait until the fans' whining is so loud and incesant to get their asses off their chairs. And, yes, BIO and also Blizzard (who i don't really care for) are two of these companies. Troika has yet to prove that they are this though this is a step in he right direction.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Like I said, it's good business. Who the fuck cares if they don't know who you are or love you personally? If they want to make money they better make the end-user enjoy the product.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Huh? This has nothing to dow ith wnating them to love or know me. That is irrelevant. Quite frankly, it shouldn't have taken months of people whining on message boards about bugs to get to this state. Companies should have pride enough in their work to have a plan in palce to continue patching their games until they are at least stable for the majority of purchasers. It's good business to ahve this worked out pre release; not months after release.

Like I said, this is a step in the right direction for Troika; but they still have a ways to go. Maybe their game after Vampire will show it once, and for all.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Volourn said:
No, it's not. It's more like thinking about dollars, and since the only way is to get sales is to get customers so it's I want $$ = I neee customers.
And that's why we are all playing BG3, the uber hit of 2003, right now :roll:

Other gaming companies already plan to make sure their products work as well as possible; and don't wait until the fans' whining is so loud and incesant to get their asses off their chairs. And, yes, BIO and also Blizzard (who i don't really care for) are two of these companies.
NWN's list of bugs is long enough to publish a book "The Complete List of Bugs in CRPG", and as for Blizzard (who I do really care for :) ), anyone remembers the smooth release of D2? Overall, Bio was growing up under Iply patronage, Bliz had a wealthy parent company, while Troika is an independant guy who is at the mercy of publishers all the time, Sierra fucked up Arcanum in more ways then one, and Atari fucked up ToEE. And don't give me the bull about signed contract and made deals, Atari has given MOO3 another year if I'm not mistaken, yet for ToEE they didn't have more time. :x

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Well.. We all know that Interplay is on a league of its' own when it comes to piss poor companies..

You miss the point. Whether or not NWN has "tons of bugs" which I beleive youe xaggerate since the game happens to be playable for most people; it's the fact that BIO was working on fixing said bugs from the start. They didn't all of asudden start doing so because fans cried foul unlike Troika, and TOEE. And, this talk about poor little Troika such a small little company, boo hoo hoo. Cry me a river as I'm sure it'll be the longest river of all time. Please, BIO has publishers too. including Satan itself, Atari. Yet they patch NWN non stop. Go figure. Atari may have played a part in fucking up TOEE; but they had a HUGE helping hand in TOEE's developer which just happens to be Troika. And, maybe Atari felt MOO3 deserved more time; but TOEE didn't. Make all the exuses you want; but it doesn't exuse Troika from responsibility which they are *finally* living up to.

Also, let me see here. Seirra fucked up. Atari fucked up. Who's publishing Vampire/ I'm sure if soemthing goes wrong with Vampire; all of you will be blaming the third publisher as well. It's everyone's fault; but Troika. Boo hoo. It tears at my heart strings. :(

triCritical

Erudite
Volourn said:
You miss the point. Whether or not NWN has "tons of bugs" which I beleive youe xaggerate since the game happens to be playable for most people;

Not when it first came out. Took a week before they patched it enough to work with my Radeon. 2-3 updates, don't remember now, in a week! Thats a lot of bugs.

They didn't all of asudden start doing so because fans cried foul unlike Troika, and TOEE. And, this talk about poor little Troika such a small little company, boo hoo hoo.

Your an idiot if you work for free. Either that, or a bad capitalist!

Make all the exuses you want; but it doesn't exuse Troika from responsibility which they are *finally* living up to.

Maybe you should apply for a job as Troika Configuration manager! Put your money where you mouth is...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
1. I'm not gonna argue about your bugs; however; the difference here is BIo didn't release a single patch just to show they did; but they continued to patch it as people reported problems. In fact, the next patch is probably due sometime in early February. Why though? All the major problems seem to be have covered. Weird... And, they are doing without major forcing by fans whining about bugs.

2. Actually, Troika are the idiots if they sign contracts that are suppsoedly unfeasible or they disliek. Or desperate to whore themsleves. Take your pick. I ahve enevr worked for free. AMAZING!!

3. They wouldn't hire me. And, if they were to hire me they would have to pay me sicne as above I don't work for free. :lol:

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:
Also, let me see here. Seirra fucked up. Atari fucked up. Who's publishing Vampire/ I'm sure if soemthing goes wrong with Vampire; all of you will be blaming the third publisher as well. It's everyone's fault; but Troika. Boo hoo. It tears at my heart strings. :(

I think that kind of mentality is starting to be a wee bit backwards, now. Did anyone ever said it wasn't Troika's fault the bugs were there? It's their game, the bugs are theirs, period. However, you seem to be confusing, or forgetting, that it wasn't Troika's decision to release an earlier, buggier build. Now, tell me that releasing it earlier and without any visible Q&A was their fault. Tell me, i'm dying to hear it.

The bottomline is that we blame publishers if they make decisions that might harm the final product. Perhaps we should stop it, and garner acceptance from you, by blaming things which aren't others' fault? Yes, that makes oh so much more sense. :roll:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Yeah, it's always the publisher's fault whenit comes to Troika's game. Surprise, surprise. :roll:

triCritical

Erudite
Volourn said:
1. I'm not gonna argue about your bugs; however; the difference here is BIo didn't release a single patch just to show they did; but they continued to patch it as people reported problems. In fact, the next patch is probably due sometime in early February. Why though? All the major problems seem to be have covered. Weird... And, they are doing without major forcing by fans whining about bugs.

Diablo still has patches, and so does the other online games. Funny is BG2 still being patched. It came out after Diablo 2, which is still being patched. Practical decisions need to be made when patching, because they are not always that easy to make. Anyhow NWN has a community, in which they need to support. Both a online and modding community. ToEE and NWN are different kind of game, that literally require different kinds of support.

Its one thing to argue a developers responsability to make quality. Its another to compare apples and oranges, which is what you are doing.

2. Actually, Troika are the idiots if they sign contracts that are suppsoedly unfeasible or they disliek. Or desperate to whore themsleves. Take your pick. I ahve enevr worked for free. AMAZING!!

You just called 90% of all contractors idiots actually. Welcome to the real world, one day when you leave walmart you will find this out...

3. They wouldn't hire me.

Maybe because you are not qualified. I like to complain about the things I know I can do better, like pathfinding algorithms, which I happen to do at work along with AI. I don't do combat, but that is because I don't make games, but I know I could do a better a job the n Bioware simply because there combat is so rudimentory.

Yeah, it's always the publisher's fault whenit comes to Troika's game. Surprise, surprise. Rolling Eyes

Its actually Atari's fault that NWN was released way to early too.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
1. Okay, let's take KOTOR then. They already have another patch in the works. Heck, the game comes with an auto updater yet it is strictly a sp game. Hmm.. Interesting. The point is that BIO has a plan in palce for their games to be patched pre release; and don't do them just because of an uproar and please don't go and say it's because they knew it was buggy before hand as I'm sure Trolia and Atari both knew TOEE was buggy too and in reality needed a patch.

2. Good. I called them idiots. Thanks for putting words in my mouth. I call Troika (possible* idiots. I alsos aid it was possible they were simply desperate for work. You seem to work that BIO is basically in the same boat. After all, they need publishers for their games as well yet they manage to have more bargaining power. Go figure.

3. No shit sherlock. I never said I was qualified. Youa re the one who brought the job up.

4. Was it? They and BIO signed a contract. It's BIO's fault that NWN wasn't in prime position to eb released. One can list many exuses to why; but it's all irrelevant. period.

Spazmo

Erudite
Role-Player said:
Wasn't that the one which had a patch for the game the day the game came out?

That it did, but that doesn't mean its buggy.

No, no, really. We all know the old adage that a product is never finished, it just ships? Well, Blizzard is subject to this despite their four year dev cycles. Eventually, they have to kick the game out the door, but there's still things in it that need fixing. So Blizzard usually is hard at work in the time between their games going gold and actually hitting shelves working on a patch, before anyone even has time to complain about bugs. They're just extending their Q&A time as much as possible, really.

taks

Liturgist
WAIT A MINUTE!

I posted a thread on this in General RPG Discussion last night...

where's MY credit? :)

mark

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom