Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Risen Set To Blitzkrieg Deutschland On October 2nd.

Tags: Piranha Bytes; Risen

A <a href="http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showpost.php?p=9743517&postcount=38">post on some forums</a> by a Deep Silver (the publisher of Piranha Byte's game) community manager has announced that the German version of Risen will be released on the 2nd of October.<blockquote>Jetzt aber ist es offiziell! :)
<br>
<br>
Risen erscheint am 2. Oktober '09 in Deutschland für PC & X-Box 360.</blockquote>The North American version will probably be released a few months later, despite what <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Risen-Pc/dp/B002C0VNQQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1245713538&sr=8-1">some say</a>. Expect the German version to possibly be a beta test for the more lucrative North American market.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://rpgwatch.com/">RPGWatch</A>

denizsi

Arcane
Release date so close and there isn't even any proper information on the game. Deep Silver surely know their shit, and PB has surely learned from the past experience with publishers. They will announce a add on 2 weeks after the release, release the addon a year later and then fold for once and all.

catfood

AGAIN
denizsi said:
Release date so close and there isn't even any proper information on the game.

This. I don't know what PB and Deepsilver are thinking. There's like what 4-5 months til the release and they don't bother showing any tangible information on the game except for a shitty FAQ and some 1 min long lookhowprettytehgraphicsare videos. I'm skeptical about this game.

Shannow

Waster of Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUdI5ezKS9U

Tangible information ;)
It's in German. The reviewer sounds gay and sadly the pc does so too.
What I got out of it: PB decided to give monsters German names in the German version. Looks to be somewhere between G2 and G3 gameplay and world wise.
The reviewer should have shown more npc interaction.

All in all it looks great (if not perfect) to me, but I'm a Gothic fan *shrug*

There`s plenty of information, at least for german speakers:
-Combo System: Leftclick/Rightclick + WASD + Timing determines damage
-Different faction, according to the previews you can`t join all factions in one playthrough ala Arcania lulz
-Quests have different solutions
-Crafting system
-Character can climb now
-Small little gnomes can steal the loot of your victim

Sounds about alright.

Fun fact, 2 out of 3 devs are bald: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GoV8MQXNgw#
Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7HC9h_q ... re=related

catfood

AGAIN
Shannow said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUdI5ezKS9U

Tangible information ;)
It's in German. The reviewer sounds gay and sadly the pc does so too.
What I got out of it: PB decided to give monsters German names in the German version. Looks to be somewhere between G2 and G3 gameplay and world wise.
The reviewer should have shown more npc interaction.

All in all it looks great (if not perfect) to me, but I'm a Gothic fan *shrug*

That looks pretty good. Combat looks like it's better than Gothic 3 and the armor design is nice (no huge shoulder pads a la DA and WOW) and using spells to get past traps is a great idea that more games need to implement.

It's too bad that PB chooses to completely neglect the non-ubermensh crowd and release so few info in english.

bat_boro

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Risen erscheint am 2. Oktober '09 in Deutschland für PC & X-Box 360.

OK this game is doomed. Next.

No, not really, since the game is being developed for the Xbox 360 by another studio, and PB are just working on the PC version. So this time the port goes PC > Xbox 360

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I know at least some guys from PB and I seriously can't imagine them releasing a completely buggy game, if they have a choice.

That says nothing about the gameplay, of course.

ecliptic

Liturgist
I'm psyched for it. It sounds much in the vein of the first two Gothics.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It's way too soon. PB and JoWood split in May 07. Risen was announced in August and according to the press release the engine was still in development, so they didn't do much prior to the announcement. This means a 2 years development cycle. For comparison, Gothic 3 was in development for over 3 years and it still wasn't ready. Gothic 1 was in development for 4 years.

In other words, it doesn't look good. The chances of Risen being a decent game have dropped significantly.

bat_boro

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
It's way too soon. PB and JoWood split in May 07. Risen was announced in August and according to the press release the engine was still in development, so they didn't do much prior to the announcement. This means a 2 years development cycle. For comparison, Gothic 3 was in development for over 3 years and it still wasn't ready. Gothic 1 was in development for 4 years.

In other words, it doesn't look good. The chances of Risen being a decent game have dropped significantly.

But a pretty significant part of the time Gothic 3 was in development went to coding the engine, which was something completely new/unlike Gothic 1/2's engine. You can tell that by the fact that even after all these years of development, the engine was still unoptimized and clearly needed more work.

Now with Risen they have more or less existing engine (I think it is based on Gothic 3's engine, although heavily tweaked) and the scope of the game is a lot smaller that Gothic 3. If you look at Gothic 2's development, it took roughly two years, too.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Vault Dweller said:

Yeah, I expected another year of development. But: the world is smaller and one would assume they are more experienced (thus working faster) and have learned from past mistakes.

I guess we'll see.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
catfood said:
It's too bad that PB chooses to completely neglect the non-ubermensh crowd and release so few info in english.
It doesn't matter. German players get info now because they'll be able to buy the game soon. We'll know everything by the time Risen is published outside Germany.

Vault Dweller

Developer
bat_boro said:
Now with Risen they have more or less existing engine (I think it is based on Gothic 3's engine, although heavily tweaked)...
From an interview:

"8. What engine are you using - Genome Engine from Gothic 3 or have you developed a new one?

We had to start from scratch- so most had to be developed in house. Of course we take advantage of well established middleware like for example the fmod sound system."

If you look at Gothic 2's development, it took roughly two years, too.
G2 was a direct "more of the same" sequel. They reused pretty much all assets and animations and didn't waste any time on the engine. The setting and many key characters were also established. Developing a brand new game, even the one that looks like a sequel, should take a lot more than 2 years.

Shannow said:
...one would assume they ... have learned from past mistakes.
I don't think it's up to them. It's not like they have a lot of options.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
thesheeep said:
I know at least some guys from PB and I seriously can't imagine them releasing a completely buggy game, if they have a choice.

That says nothing about the gameplay, of course.

LOL!

You made my day, pal. I thought noone still believed PB lies about WHY G3 was so buggy, but alas you proved me wrong.

BTW: This is how a good "Gothic-like" video should look in freaking ALPHA status!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8e3_1NxekM&fmt=18

Vault Dweller

Developer
Looks awful. Diablo in the Gothic universe. Say what you want about Risen, but at least the trailers ooze atmosphere.

xuerebx

Erudite
Wait, Risen and Arcania: A Gothic's Tale are 2 different games?!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom