Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Alpha Protocol Preview at Worth Playing

Tags: Alpha Protocol; Obsidian Entertainment

This <a href="http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=63381">preview over at Worth Playing</a> is full of most of the same news we've been seeing with a slightly different perspective, and possibly some new information, depending on how much one has seen.<blockquote>We were told that there are no dice rolls that work in the background to determine the player's skill, only their ability and whatever bonuses that the skill system has unlocked for them. For example, as Mike draws a bead on an enemy, the reticle starts to shrink, indicating that his aim won't swing as wide. With improvements, it might not take him as long to focus on his mark the next time.
<br>
[...]
<br>
Battling through the train yard revealed opportunities for Mike's covert abilities. At one point, he found a computer terminal that he could hack into, revealing a timed panel of shifting numbers and letters; the player has to match two sequences of digits within that mess. Another electronic puzzle displays several panels of circuits, each with a numbered node linked via twisting paths to a tab at the bottom. This puzzle is also timed, meaning that the player had to choose the correct tab linked to the right path in order to quickly solve each part. With improved skills, the number of nodes would decrease.
<br>
<br>
Even without significant training, the player can still try solving the puzzles. It was emphasized that none of the puzzles will simply be "unavailable" to the player because of how he had developed his skills, but they would be a lot more difficult to overcome, depending on whether or not they had invested anything into them. For example, the circuit puzzle might have 10 nodes to sort through, as opposed to just three.
<br>
[...]
<br>
Successfully hacking his way through the computer, the player now had to make a decision about the arms shipment: send them to a contact that he had made, blow it up to keep it out of potentially dangerous hands, or send the stuff to himself. Two of these choices may open up other options in terms of what he can buy or use from his safe house while simultaneously earning some cred with his favorite black marketeer. Blowing it up will make his handler happy, but might not make anyone else as pleased. Of course, it might also mean that the enemy won't have access to the stuff, either, and affect their strength down the line.</blockquote>Still seems decent so far, but I'm not a fan of what they are doing with the hacking and minigames. A skilled player could make the hacking much less useful compared to other skills. And the fact that minigames are typically terrible worries me as well. Oh well...Alpha Protocol still beats the "new shit".
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://gamebanshee.com/">Gamebanshee</A>

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ah the gimmick skills that you don't need at all for anything - looks like those "skills" are there to make an easy game very easy. Truly a sequel to Mass Effect.

MetalCraze said:
Ah the gimmick skills that you don't need at all for anything - looks like those "skills" are there to make an easy game very easy.
Whereas skills in other games work like...

MetalCraze

Arcane
Whereas skills in other games open new possibilities and low skills lead to failing some actions.
In this Mass Effect spin-off everything is available to you from the start. Funny to admit but even Fallout 3 is much closer to true RPG than this.

MetalCraze said:
Whereas skills in other games open new possibilities and low skills lead to failing some actions.
I have rarely seen that implemented well in any recent game, at least this way it's a slight customisation of your character instead instead of merely gaining new skills as a plot point.

flushfire

Augur
at least fallout 3 had the balls to lock you out of some things if you had no skills invested in computer use or lockpick. letting you attempt everything even with no skill investment means the only use the skill has is reducing the number of reloads/retries you have to do.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Only Cleve and other superhumans will be able to get through mini-games with low skill at hacking. Speed/difficulty is increased expotentially for every rank you lack, or so Matthew Rorie said.

flushfire said:
at least fallout 3 had the balls to lock you out of some things if you had no skills invested in computer use or lockpick. letting you attempt everything even with no skill investment means the only use the skill has is reducing the number of reloads/retries you have to do.

First time playing, I thought repair would be useless, so I couldn't even deactivate the bomb in megaton. It's a very low requirement, though.

Ah the gimmick skills that you don't need at all for anything

In this Mass Effect spin-off everything is available to you from the start

SS2 had a hacking minigame and no one complained

Could feed Skyway all the evidence and logic in the world and it wouldn't make a difference. I Doubt that even Spock could sway the god of whine.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
SS2 had a hacking minigame and no one complained

Is it the new shit among retarded next-generation to always completely miss a point?

Hümmelgümpf said:
Only Cleve and other superhumans will be able to get through mini-games with low skill at hacking. Speed/difficulty is increased expotentially for every rank you lack, or so Matthew Rorie said.

Oh really? Do you really believe that there will be any difficulty in AP, considering that Parker said earlier that skills won't influence shit because "we don't want you to feel weak at level 1". Obsidian just tries to sit on both chairs with their hype but as history shows - there is no middle-ground.
Not mentioning that character skills that somehow try to affect player skills is one of the most retarded concepts in the gaming history.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
Oh really? Do you really believe that there will be any difficulty in AP, considering that Parker said earlier that skills won't influence shit because "we don't want you to feel weak at level 1".
That's not what he said. He said they didn't want bullets flying right through enemies without dealing any damage if Mike's skill was too low. He didn't lie. There's still a chance to miss because the crosshair isn't a single dot, but if you saw the bullet hit the target, it hit the target. Please, don't take offence, but I'm inclined to believe Obsidian on this one. Thus far they've been less full of shit than you are.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Even without significant training, the player can still try solving the puzzles. It was emphasized that none of the puzzles will simply be "unavailable" to the player because of how he had developed his skills, but they would be a lot more difficult to overcome, depending on whether or not they had invested anything into them. For example, the circuit puzzle might have 10 nodes to sort through, as opposed to just three.

FUCK YOU, MINIGAMES!

:fistshake:

Dionysus

Scholar
flushfire said:
They are using a checkpoint saving system, so this problem won't be as bad as it was in Oblivion, for example. My tendency to reload drops when I can't save anywhere, and I know that it ultimately doesn't matter (i.e., there are no really bad consequences).

Hümmelgümpf said:
Matthew Rorie says a lot of things. Seriously though, this is a bad decision for an RPG. They should include minimum skill requirements if they want the skills to be important. Theoretically, they could make it practically impossible to meet the challenges with low character skill, but if they were really interested in that sort of thing, then they would just implement a minimum skill requirement. I'm getting more than a small hint that the philosophy behind the game is that an unskilled character can do anything, and a skilled character can do anything with magic powers.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Less full of shit?
http://www.oxmonline.com/article/previe ... a-protocol

But at first, we blasted through a horde of guards in what turned out to be a cool mini-surprise that we ain’t spoiling. Alpha Protocol felt much more like a third-person shooter than an RPG — and that’s intentional. “Our biggest concern was that when you play a low-level D&D character, you kind of suck,” Parker says. “We spent a lot of time on a rules system that allows for player skill, [while granting] a lot of advantages based on your character’s [level] over the course of the game.”

So while you will see XP earnings pop up in all the usual places, we were also able to deftly connect with headshots right from the start. And in another mission, where Obsidian bestowed a much more advanced character on us, we got to see how those skills pan out. You can level up Thorton in 10 areas — half involve combat, but there’s also stealth, hacking, gadget use, and health. Improving in each earns you special abilities that Parker freely admits “are kind of like spells. They’re well beyond what a normal human can do.”

Haha man sorry, enjoy skills that make an easy shooter even easier.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Dionysus said:
Matthew Rorie says a lot of things. Seriously though, this is a bad decision for an RPG. They should include minimum skill requirements if they want the skills to be important. Theoretically, they could make it practically impossible to meet the challenges with low character skill, but if they were really interested in that sort of thing, then they would just implement a minimum skill requirement.
Why? It makes more sense if an unskilled character can still attempt to pick a lock/hack a computer, but fail miserably. Games don't prevent you from taking on stronger opponents than you can possibly handle because your fighting skills are too low, do they?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Are you really that naive to believe that a game with so many retard helpers up to arrows that show you enemies behind the walls and considering that Obsidian right there admits that they don't want to give player a challenge will let the player "fail miserably"?
Goddamit you're such a fanboy.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Sorry, but skyway is right. If that's how is gonna be it sucks. What's the point in having skills if you can do pretty much the same thing without them?
Oh, so instead of a headshot/second you'll have two, three or more. I see.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
I don't get it. You could land headshots in Deus Ex even with Untrained skill level, and it certainly didn't make the game any easier. Sorry, MC, you are still full of shit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Hümmelgümpf said:
MetalCraze said:
I don't get it. You could land headshots in Deus Ex even with Untrained skill level, and it certainly didn't make the game any easier. Sorry, MC, you are still full of shit.

Seriously are you retarded? Why do you fanboys also pump up selective reading stat so high? Right there in the preview both developer and previewer say that the game will be ridiculously easy right from the start and you completely miss it?

Hümmelgümpf said:
Sure you could. 3 seconds of aiming -> a headshot. Same as in AP gameplay videos.

Yes you will spend 3 seconds on every enemy out of the horde that was mentioned up there. You disappoint me, son.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Seriously are you retarded? Why do you fanboys also pump up selective reading stat so high? Right there in the preview both developer and previewer say that the game will be ridiculously easy right from the start and you completely miss it?
Quote me the exact passage where they do. I don't see it.
Yes you will spend 3 seconds on every enemy out of the horde that was mentioned up there. You disappoint me, son.
Just watch the fucking gameplay video. You aren't stupid enough to imply that all mechanics will be revised for the final game, and it's all just a marketing stunt, are you?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom