Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News David Gaider's reaction to Rock, Paper, Shotgun preview

Monolith

Prophet
Tags: BioWare; David Gaider; Dragon Age

David Gaider showed his disapproval of <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=33430">John Walkers negative preview of Dragon Age</a> in a post <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1060953638&postcount=20">on the RPG Watch forum</a>. I'll go easy on you, posting almost the whole thing:
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
Insofar as the RPS article goes, I'll admit I find it a bit distressing to read this sort of stuff. It is what it is, but I don't think it's indicative of the game as a whole-- something even the writer pointed out, considering the game is so large and what we can show at any given time being such a small slice.
<br>
<br>
I don't know what the presentation itself looked like, but it probably needed to be stressed more that this was a story element shown out of context (whether or not that is a good idea to do being an entirely different discussion). Prior to getting to that point, the player would have had to spend a lot of time developing the romances for both Morrigan and Leliana-- and I'll stress that, myself: Morrigan does not sleep with you just because you gave her a book. The book is a quest item that, in this case, happened to push her approval into the point where she would make a sexual advance in camp.
<br>
<br>
It should also be pointed out that Leliana isn't reacting to the fact that you slept with Morrigan. She doesn't, in fact, even know that's what you did. She's responding to the fact that your romance with Morrigan has reached a point where she objects. It sounds like the writer of the article expected her to be more angry, and perhaps that's where the comments on the acting comes from, I don't know. It's too bad -- Leliana is, in my opinion, one of the better voices of the game. Perhaps the French accent threw him off? I'm not sure. Chances are he wasn't inclined to be charitable by that point.
<br>
<br>
Even so, I can't really blame some of the perceptions of these events if this is the order in which they were shown. Personally showing the latter part of a romance plot isn't likely to be of much interest to anyone who hasn't bought into it already and been through all the lead up. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way, the romances are pretty complex and it's a mistake to write them off as superficial -- for the people who like romance plots, they'll be in for a treat.
<br>
<br>
And it seems like we have a task ahead of us showing that this is so. I hope we can. I still believe this is a game worth the time of the RPG fan, very much so.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Spotted <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">here</a> and <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=800849#800849">there</a>

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
It should also be pointed out that Leliana isn't reacting to the fact that you slept with Morrigan. She doesn't, in fact, even know that's what you did. She's responding to the fact that your romance with Morrigan has reached a point where she objects.
So she can mystically detect your influence with other characters? Immersive.

Black

Arcane
This is the new shit!
Stand up and admit!
Do you get it? NO!
Do you want it? YEAH!

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Hümmelgümpf said:
It should also be pointed out that Leliana isn't reacting to the fact that you slept with Morrigan. She doesn't, in fact, even know that's what you did. She's responding to the fact that your romance with Morrigan has reached a point where she objects.
So she can mystically detect your influence with other characters? Immersive.
If you are all travelling together for long periods of time then there isn't much that you can hide. Which I'm assuming is the case.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Umm did they video showed any time advancement after that affair was carried out, I was under the impression the moment you exit the sex tent the other chick started her approach.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Dicksmoker said:
If you are all travelling together for long periods of time then there isn't much that you can hide. Which I'm assuming is the case.
The evening before the PC has some fun with Morrigan everything is fine. The next morning Leliana starts feeling forgotten by your character even if she doesn't know he spent all night having hot, sweaty interspecies sex. In fact, she doesn't know anything happened at all, or so Gaider says. So why does she suddenly decide to confront the PC?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

You know, this kinda stuff happened way back in BG2 too...

bhlaab

Erudite
Re: David Gaider's reaction to

Monolith said:
It sounds like the writer of the article expected her to be more angry, and perhaps that's where the comments on the acting comes from, I don't know. It's too bad -- Leliana is, in my opinion, one of the better voices of the game. Perhaps the French accent threw him off? I'm not sure. Chances are he wasn't inclined to be charitable by that point.

This is some diplomatic fuming right here. You can't even tell that he's fuming unless you look really closely.

Black

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

You know, this kinda stuff happened way back in BG2 too...
Well, DA IS supposed to be BG's spiritual successor, isn't it?
And by that they probably mean overhyped, overrated piece of mediocre dungeon crawling and lack of role-playing.
So far so good!

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Insofar as the RPS article goes, I'll admit I find it a bit distressing to read this sort of stuff.
Oh, Mr. Gaider please, let me give you a bow job to cheer you up.

Black

Arcane
micmu said:
OMG DAMAGE CONTROL

EA fucked up, didn't it? That's what you get for getting yourself owned :)
Eh, even if EA hadn't bought BW the outcome wouldn't probably be much different.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
New Bioware strategy: just keep them busy talking about the sex and you can get away with the rest.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So basically
David Gaydar said:
OMG YOU CAN"T JUDGE THE GAME UNTIL YOU'VE PLAYED IT ENOUGH

Guess at some point your game becomes such a terrible infantile crap that it even makes it very hard for a gaming press not to write their true thoughts.

bhlaab

Erudite
MetalCraze said:
So basically
David Gaydar said:
OMG YOU CAN"T JUDGE THE GAME UNTIL YOU'VE PLAYED IT ENOUGH

Guess at some point your game becomes such a terrible infantile crap that it even makes it very hard for a gaming press not to write their true thoughts.

RPS doesn't count as the gaming press, it's too legitimate

Lesifoere

Liturgist
WhiskeyWolf said:
Insofar as the RPS article goes, I'll admit I find it a bit distressing to read this sort of stuff.

He does sound a bit butthurt, doesn't he?

Gaider made a mistake by even taking rock,paper,shotgun seriously.
Personally I like it when people respond to their critics but now he is going to expose more people to that website and he is doing them a favor by giving them more traffic and power.

Zomg

Arbiter
The organism is not adapted to a game industry press that doesn't balk at humiliating itself by giving the weakest shit every benefit of doubt if it has a couple bucks of marketing and a brand name behind it. Try to imagine working in a critical equilibrium that's so fucked up that anything but complete servility on the part of the press calls for reactions from the developer.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Lesifoere said:
WhiskeyWolf said:

He does sound a bit butthurt, doesn't he?
Gaider has been strapped to "Dragon Age" willingly/unwillingly by Bioware with the book and all. Now if DA would fail, well Mr. Gaider that wouldn't be to good.

flushfire

Augur
Hümmelgümpf said:
The evening before the PC has some fun with Morrigan everything is fine. The next morning Leliana starts feeling forgotten by your character even if she doesn't know he spent all night having hot, sweaty interspecies sex. In fact, she doesn't know anything happened at all, or so Gaider says. So why does she suddenly decide to confront the PC?
she does know however that you did not spend that time with her. maybe she suspects something but is careful not to openly accuse you of it? or maybe she's just submissive to a level, a lot of women are. the time you were fucking around she had some time to think. come on, how is that so unbelievable?

honestly i don't see how this became a big deal in the first place. its not like the whole game youd be pestered by sexual advances of the women you travel with. and knowing the developers, youd have the choice to both politely and rudely decline those said advances with the latter resulting in no more advances. its not like FO3's epic failure of an ending twist, where you're forced to suffer fatal radiation for no goddamn reason whatsoever when all the while a totally immune companion could have done it for you.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
go wiki up Aerie

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom