Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher: Enhanced Edition²

Monolith

Prophet
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

The Witcher gets enhanced one more time, this time dropping all DRM and copyprotection baggage while adding 5 fan-made adventures. Here's the press release:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The Witcher Version 1.5 Coming Soon!
<br>
<br>
CD Projekt RED is pleased to announce the upcoming release of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition 1.5!
<br>
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition 1.5 is the newest version of the game, including all bonus content from The Witcher: Enhanced Edition and five additional fan-made adventures. Most importantly, The Witcher: Enhanced Edition 1.5 is completely DRM-free! Playing The Witcher will be even more fun without any form of annoying copy protection. Moreover, the 1.5 version of The Witcher will remove the disc check, allowing you to play the game without the DVD in the drive.
<br>
<br>
All available versions of the game will be upgraded to 1.5, including the forthcoming The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut for North American gamers.
<br>
<br>
As usual the patch containing the additional content will be available to download for free from our website for all registered The Witcher and The Witcher: Enhanced Edition owners!</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Free for all. As long as you registered your copy of The Witcher.
<br>
<br>
<b>Thanks</b>, larpingdude16.5

Andhaira

Arcane
Hmm, fan made adventures? I wasn't aware they had released dev tools.

Monocause

Arcane
They did. It's called "D'jinni" or something, and IIRC it is a part of the first enhanced edition.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
At least they aren't giving it another boxed release. But seriously, giving a name to a package including a DRM-removing patch and some amateurish shit? I don't recall Blizzard hyping their CD-check removing patches.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
There is no cd check anyway, i can play without the DVD since the very first EE (no crack or whatnot).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey at least they *do* patch their game. There are enough companies out there who just release and forget about it, or charge money for DLC with 5 minutes worth of gameplay in it.

Gerrard

Arcane
Well, it's version 1.4 now so...

jagged-jimmy said:
There is no cd check anyway, i can play without the DVD since the very first EE (no crack or whatnot).
Some versions still have the check.

DraQ

Arcane
I don't know if it's wise of them to squander the resources now, but hey, I won't complain. And first EE is already free of DRM, at least here in Poland - no cd-check and I didn't even had to reinstall after reinstalling the whole system, merely to recreate a record in the registry detailing the language version.

As for them hyping their EEs to high heavens - why complain? It's not as if codexians are susceptible to hype and it helps CDPR sell their products. Also, unlike certain companies *cough*Bethesduh*cough*, they are basically telling the truth, rather than weaving their PRspeak out of lies.

Letum Fol

Novice
Hümmelgümpf said:
At least they aren't giving it another boxed release. But seriously, giving a name to a package including a DRM-removing patch and some amateurish shit? I don't recall Blizzard hyping their CD-check removing patches.

Um, they're basically just announcing a new patch. Patch 1.5. And they get a little hype leeway since they are also giving away 5 fan-made adventures. Sounds good to me.

Although, can't get you just get them online. Never looked for Witcher mods.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
JarlFrank said:
Hey at least they *do* patch their game. There are enough companies out there who just release and forget about it, or charge money for DLC with 5 minutes worth of gameplay in it.
What does it say about the state of gaming when people start praising developers for doing something they should be damn well expected to do in the first place?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Herbert West said:
Darth Roxor said:
This is pretty ridiculous.

Why is that? This is a simple patch #1.5 for Twitcher EE.

It isn't just a simple patch - it's a free Enhanced Edition 1.5. Just how many developers release their patches for free?

MetalCraze said:
Herbert West said:
Darth Roxor said:

It isn't just a simple patch - it's a free Enhanced Edition 1.5. Just how many developers release their patches for free?

Just how many invest this much into patches? Bioware with NWN, Valve with TF2 and the meet the cast shorts, and who else?

MetalCraze

Arcane
M_I_C_K_E_Y_M_O_U_S_E said:
MetalCraze said:
Herbert West said:
Darth Roxor said:

Just how many invest this much into patches? Bioware with NWN, Valve with TF2 and the meet the cast shorts, and who else?

By "this much" you probably mean throwing money into the hype of a simple patch that fixes bugs and completely fails to fix the content that should've been there from the beginning like the translation where they basically switched a few words (and only because they were planning this for a console release anyway) and it is still a failure? Guess no one. Other guys in mainstream have more dignity.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think most RPGCodexers don't want new patches and prefer just good games. Like Troika's horrible bugged great games.

Squirly

Educated
RPG Codex are a bunch of whiny bitches.

They're still patching the game, unlike some developers like.. oh... say... beth and bioware. They're getting rid of the DRM, something few enough devs do even years after a games release.

How can you complain about something like this? How?

Squirly said:

They're still patching the game, unlike some developers like.. oh... say... beth and bioware. They're getting rid of the DRM, something few enough devs do even years after a games release.

How can you complain about something like this? How?

I actually think Skyway is in the minority half the time when it comes to putting a cynical spin on what is otherwise all good news, like this and the ME2 character improvements and inventory etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom