Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Point Lookout Media Blitz Warms Up

Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

Bethesda has released some information on the fourth <s>milking</s> DLC for Fallout 3, Point Lookout.<blockquote>DESCRIPTION: Point Lookout opens up a massive new area of the Wasteland – a, dark, murky swampland along the coast of Maryland. So hop on the ferry to the seaside town of Point Lookout, for the most mysterious and open-ended Fallout 3 DLC adventure yet.
<br>
<br>
STORY: Buy a ticket and hop onboard the Duchess Gambit, as Tobar the Ferryman takes you to the strange seaside town of Point Lookout. What secrets does the dilapidated boardwalk hold? Who lives in the sprawling mansion? Why is the Punga Fruit so important? And what horrors lie in the depths of the murky swamp?
<br>
<br>
Point Lookout is the most open-ended DLC yet, and allows you to explore a huge, swampy wasteland any way you’d like. A completely new quest line allows you uncover the town’s hidden secrets and wield powerful new weapons like the Double-Barrel Shotgun against the swamp’s dangerous, and deformed, denizens.
<br>
<br>
KEY FEATURES:
<br>
<br>
• Discover and explore an entire new area – the beachfront town of Point Lookout, with its decrepit boardwalk and surrounding swamplands loaded with adventure.
<br>
• Explore the chilling mystery that pervades this once sleepy town, with a new quest line and open-ended gameplay.
<br>
• Encounter unique new swamp denizens and weaponry that will test even the toughest characters.
<br>
• Exclusive new perks and achievements!</blockquote>Wow....that sounds so incredibly generic and only connected to Fallout's style of post-apocalyptic in the most tenuous of ways. And of course, more emphasis on weapons and enemies.
<br>
<br>
And check out <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/#50677">NMA for some screen shots and a trailer</a> that I am totally not taking the time to watch. Also check <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Point_Lookout_(DLC)">The Vault</a> for some miscellaneous info on achievements and items to start up a speculating frenzy about what awesome, cool, and totally rad things Bethesda will add in. General Lee's Hat of Increased Charisma?
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com/">No Mutants Allowed</A>

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The trailer is a joke, even by Bethesda's standards. They're not even pretending to stick to the Fallout setting anymore.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Am I the only one who thinks the font they chose for the "Point Lookout" words at the end of the trailer there look totally out of place?

Mister Arkham

Scholar
DarkUnderlord said:
Am I the only one who thinks the font they chose for the "Point Lookout" words at the end of the trailer there look totally out of place?

No. They're clearly trying to go for the types of title fonts that were used on low rent adventure/exploitation films of the fifties and sixties like Eegah! and Swamp Diamonds, but given the action driven nature of the trailer and the horror movie editing there's no place for that sort of camp. Utterly out of place.

It encapsulates perfectly the way that I feel about Bethesda anymore, actually. They have the resources to make a great product, and their hearts are in the right place, and they even seem to have the talent, but they just keep doing little things to sabotage themselves over and over again. They just keep cutting one corner too many, or they take that one idea just a little bit too far, or they rush to implement that one extra cool idea at the expense of fine tuning the other things they've already implemented... It's sad to see potential squandered like that. I think that if they're going to advance as developers again they either need to start giving themselves Blizzard-esque development cycles, or they need stricter design protocols to keep their projects in check and to a reasonable scale.

Edit: Also, I really rather like a lot of the basic design work that's on display in this DLC. It is once again not Fallout, but it puts me in mind of Dark Corners of the Earth, and I feel that these models could work well in a survival horror game.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Brother None said:
The trailer is a joke, even by Bethesda's standards. They're not even pretending to stick to the Fallout setting anymore.
They are taking Fallout and returning to Morrowind.

It's just so crazy, you'd almost expect it to happen.

Volkens

Novice
I’m amazed how Bethseda claims that people who worked on Fallout 3 loved previous games, but with each new released thing it is trying to prove otherwise. I was hoping that broken steel was the last abomination, because in my opinion it killed, the thing what made Fallouts special, replayability with different characters, by practically maximizing characters. It is impossible to max skills in previous Fallouts and you can’t get max attributes.

In trailer there is not a single sight of Fallout. It is some FPS where you are shooting zombies. I wonder what will alien ship look like in other DLC. I think that trailer to Mothership Zeta will be exactly the same, but in spaceship with you shooting aliens.

At least they added new perks. You can never have too many horrible perks. I predict that one will be named swampman - you can turn into swampwater and explore Fallout like it and instantly kill anyone who steps on you. That will add huge replayability.

Mysteriously, a new fruit is found on the Lookout, which somehow lowers the Rads that you take much better than Rad-X and Radaway.
Who needs specially created meds! I will go to swamp and search for fruit that removes radiation.

Luzur

Good Sir
its all going to hell, just like TES series.

only thing we can hope for now is a market crash like in 1984 so devs could start over again.

also:

30bpvrl.jpg

skyway

Educated
I always wonder, who does the trailers for Bethesduh?

Btw, nice setting. You know, even for Fallout it would be interesting to wander in Louisiana swamps. Good soundtrack too. Too bad it has Bethesduh written on it. I'll wait untill they release all-in-one package for all-in-one download.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom