Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Richard Garriot has a lot of weird shit in his house

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Akalabeth: World of Doom; Richard Garriott

Confirming that RPG lovers are indeed a bunch of weirdos, Kotaku have <a href="http://kotaku.com/5271603/the-many-automata-of-richard-garriott/">photographs of his collection of Automata</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Automata are self-operating machines, the original iteration of robots. These clockwork creations have fascinated me since I was a child. Richard Garriott, too, is fascinated with these machines, but he's got the money to back up his interest.
<br>
<br>
As part of KotakuRoboto, we asked Garriott if he would send over some pictures of his personal collection of automata. His assortment, we're told, may be the largest private collection of automata in the world.</blockquote>
<br>
If you want to actually see his house including secret passages and other stuff, head over to <a href="http://www.vbs.tv/video.php?id=13585932001">vbs for a 3-part video interview and tour of his home</a>. The interview is pretty good on how he got started with Akalabeth and became Lord British.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPGWatch</a>

Jason

chasing a bee
That's pretty nifty. I've seen a number of those over the years and the more elaborate ones can be impressive in person, especially considering their age. But because of their age, the owners are also usually reluctant to run them.

On the eve of destruction, in a forgotten page of
The video was a little informative and a whole lot of amazing. All houses should have secret passages like that. It really is exactly what you would expect from him - even the dungeon, except for the corpse. It seems cozy. He sure has a whole lot of important relics there. After the passage of the next dark age of humanity, the house that Ultima built will be all that future historians have to learn about the past before society collapsed. Lord British's Castle will become a holy place, and monks shall live there year round keeping up Sputnik and the automatons and the shrunken heads of tribes long gone, while peasants and nobles travel from distant lands on pilgrimages. Myths will spring up about the legendary traveler Iolo. The astral planes will be contacted in search of the legendary Avatar during times of great trouble and stress. The name Garriot will only be known to the highest orders of the Church. Wars will be waged and blood will be shed in search of the Red Rock. Life will be lived by the virtues. Two thousand years henceforth from the discovery of Richard's manor, doubters will begin to question the basis of the religion. A former high ranking initiate of the church will make the name Garriott public. He will ridicule it. He will teach the peasants the secret knowledge that the monks have held dear over the violent millennia. Great rifts will be created amongst communities as the entire foundation of the new world is shattered overnight. Many will claim Armageddon as the Earth begins turning uncharacteristically. The tides will rise, the night will be longer and the days brisk. As the meteorites streak across the sky, the animals will begin their eternal slumber, the women will fall to their knees, the children will stop playing, the most noble and the most wicked of men will join together. Then all will cry out, "How can we get the music working in DOSBOX?"

That is very interesting about Garriot making over 100k as a senior in high school. I knew I should have taken those programming classes more seriously! Then again, competition was quite slim. This may be a case of being in the right place at the right time, but with technology it's really quite hard to determine. Would we still have the great abundance of classic RPGs that we do now, and such a solid foundation to build on for the future had Garriot not done his thing? We might have been playing worthless dreck since day 1. The part on Tabula Rasa was depressing, but it's an MMO, so what can you do.

Luzur

Good Sir
he also got alot of very rare and valuable Ultima things, like the original Apple II he coded Akalabeth on and several other things´, like a genuine Iolo made crossbow.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Panthera said:
He's like that guy in Blade Runner.
Replica_Runner_Doll.jpg

I want to play with your dolls.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
JarlFrank said:
Azael said:
Redeye said:

That's just weird... I mean, some of the worst sex I've had have been with [...] dolls...

Fixed.

OK, that was almost too easy, you know, like your mom.

Well, let's not turn this into GD. What I honestly don't get is just how Garriot managed to make so much money. Aren't game developers supposed to be poor and struggling?

Andhaira

Arcane
No I am pretty sure Gariott made his mone in the 90's with the Ultima's and especially Ultima Online. I mean ultima online was the daddy; it had the entire MMORPG market to itself.

Also recall gariott spent around 20-30 million dollars to go to space! The dude is filthy rich.

Andhaira

Arcane
TO think he could use al that money to fund a quiality crpg. :(

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That will make more people happy than going to space. :)
Is space exploration/tourism related to starving children in Africa?

Saxon1974

Prophet
Whish he would have shown more Ultima Stuff, seeing his original lord of the rings novels was interesting. The best part was probably the secret door to get downstairs. Reminded me of playing an Ultima game.

He will never make another single player RPG sadly. When he discussed RPG's he always says if he makes another it will probably be another MMO.

On the eve of destruction, in a forgotten page of
Azael said:
Well, let's not turn this into GD. What I honestly don't get is just how Garriot managed to make so much money. Aren't game developers supposed to be poor and struggling?

He was a pioneer of the industry - just like Will Wright and Miyamoto. Teams were small and they were the most valuable pieces of the puzzle, and provided the first super hits. Not to mention they were all really smart programmers, so probably invested well (and Garriott's investment's paid off very well, obviously). The games were also like 60 - 70 bucks. Obviously, most of his software earnings were made before the point where Electronic Arts became increasingly stingy, development costs skyrocketed, teams increased, and his own salary ballooned - he was paid millions just for the Tabula Rasa concept.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom