Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Cyclopean - Mr Green, in the library, with the candlestick

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Cyclopean; Iron Tower

Scott from Iron Tower has another <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=879.0" target="blank">Cyclopean writing example</a> available for you to poke at.
<br>
<blockquote>Doctor Wolcott: The police believe that you murdered your step-father, Ward Rockwell, and your own mother as well. What do you believe, Mr. Barton?
<br>
<br>
Giles Barton: It’s not what I ‘believe’ as you put it. It should be evident to anyone who takes the time to look at the facts. Rockwell did it. He killed my mother, shot her, because she knew what he was about, that he was a liar and thief. She was going to throw him out. The dead man isn’t Rockwell. It's a colleague of his. He killed this colleague to throw the police off his trail.
<br>
<br>
DW. Right, we will return to that point, but may I suggest an alternative explanation? You admit that you hated your step-father. You hated him every day for five long years. Arguments, tantrums, running away, only to be retrieved by the police, this was the routine in your house. Everyone knew about it: the neighbours, your teachers, the grocer, everyone the police questioned. Five years is a long time for a young man, I remember what it was like. I’m not exactly a dinosaur myself, you know. And one day, you let your rage carry you away and you killed him with his own pistol.
<br>
<br>
GB. That isn’t what happened–
<br>
<br>
DW. Threw your mother into the bargain. Bullet through the heart, both of them. She was responsible for bringing him into your house though. She had to be punished.
<br>
*a pause here on my part elicited no response.</blockquote>

sheek

Arbiter
Which engine are they using for this anyway? AoD's? Was that one of the reasons for merging, to share assets or was it only for publicity?

If it's not tied to an engine yet, have they looked at Naked Ninja's? First person Cthulhu has some advantages, especially for a single character game like this.

Durwyn

Prophet
sheek said:
Which engine are they using for this anyway? AoD's? Was that one of the reasons for merging, to share assets or was it only for publicity?

If it's not tied to an engine yet, have they looked at Naked Ninja's? First person Cthulhu has some advantages, especially for a single character game like this.

Def not first person. It will be iso TB. As far as I remember, it is planed that they will use AoD's engine.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yes they were talking about using AOD's engine. Although, I must agree with sheek. A first person perspective could add a lot to the atmosphere. Lighting effects, fog, not knowing what's behind you...

sheek

Arbiter
At least make an effort on lighting and their gameplay mechanics effects (like Eschalon). Using fully revealed starting maps like Fallout would be FAIL (don't know how AoD handles it).

Monocause

Arcane
sheek said:
Using fully revealed starting maps like Fallout would be FAIL (don't know how AoD handles it).

Even if AoD doesn't have anything like that, implementing a LoS mechanic shouldn't be difficult.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I'm cautiously looking forward to this. I love HP Lovecraft's work, and I've always wanted to see it adapted to a proper cRPG.

Hell, everything Iron Tower is working on has me optimistic.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I just can't get any interest for this game. They should have just waited and announced it when they actually had something to show other than a few anecdotes.

sheek

Arbiter
It is fairly interesting, at the beginning there was discussion of the classes and how skills would be structured and sleep and sanity would work. My doubts are whether it will be completed. The only thing I've seen was that flash character generator months ago.

I just read a thread where they were talking about handling party control in combat, and he was saying he'd make it like Fallout (general settings for each companion) but better. Now, from what I know AoD has no party control whatsoever. This is another thing that would have to be coded, and some AI put in which is not trivial... we all know how stupid NPCs usually are. Who is going to do it?

Does the Cyclopaen project have a programmer?

Scott is an artist/modeller and creative writer. There's only one other guy assigned to 'concept art'.

Both seem good at what they do... but still, apart from being on AoD's website I don't see all that much difference from countless modding projects.

screeg

Arcane
Developer
There is no programmer.
There is no longer another guy assigned to 'concept art'.
The difference from countless modding projects is it is not modding anything. It's an original project.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
POOPERSCOOPER said:
Look guys I have this really cool idea based on Lovecraft. Will someone make it for me?
It's not like that. We've offered Scott our help and the engine, but right now he's still working on the design/writing and doesn't need a programmer.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Not me personally (since the project doesn't need another writer/designer), but the rest of my team would, if we fail to find suitable people. Scott's project is very interesting and we'll definitely help him (one way or another) to turn it into a game.

mathboy

Liturgist
I thought Cyclopean was part of AoD D:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom