Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate Review

sheek

Arbiter
1/ Characters still look absolutely horrible... NWN2 problem
2/ 1st image (http://www.tacticularcancer.com/screenshots/welcome.jpg), are there no non-skill options? I get the impression that with Obsidian at least they threw skill options around everywhere to impress C&C fags, but you get all of the options basically by default (hardly any investment)
3/ Mid level D&D sounds good, the ridiculous high level is why I didn't finish MotB.
4/ How long did it take you to play?

Arcanoix

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
sheek said:
2/ 1st image (http://www.tacticularcancer.com/screenshots/welcome.jpg), are there no non-skill options?
Yes. See the arrows to the right.

I can't say. I've been playing it at a slow (1-2 hours a day) pace for awhile. It's definitely longer than I expected.

You haven't even finished it yet you write a review? For all you know the story could fucking suck at the end. (i.e. Witcher)

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Arcanoix said:
You haven't even finished it yet you write a review? For all you know the story could fucking suck at the end. (i.e. Witcher)

And that would totally ruin the 20 hours of pure enjoyement before it, eh?

DriacKin

Arbiter
Arcanoix said:
Vault Dweller said:
sheek said:
2/ 1st image (http://www.tacticularcancer.com/screenshots/welcome.jpg), are there no non-skill options?

I can't say. I've been playing it at a slow (1-2 hours a day) pace for awhile. It's definitely longer than I expected.

He's clearly finished the game. He even praises the ending of the game in his review.
I'm pretty sure that he meant that he isn't sure how many hours he played the game since he played it over a long stretch of time.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Arcanoix said:
Vault Dweller said:
sheek said:

I've finished it (wouldn't have written a review otherwise). Sided with the Ebon Claws and accepted the Night Masks' leader's offer in the end. Then replayed and refused the offer. Then started a new game and sided with the Church of Lathander. Almost done now.

Btw, if someone wants to see the ending:
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... 8#msg26188

MetalCraze said:
I like Exhibit B
Are there more such "clever" quests, VD?
Not sure what exactly you mean and what aspect you liked, but this quest is definitely not a unique example of the game's style.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I like the aspect about it being not as plain and predictable as it looks and how it turned out to be something pretty unexpected and cool in the end - even for a linear quest.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
The Appraisal skill seems to be bugged, though. Just don't believe when the game tells you your Appraisal check was a success.

MetalCraze

Arcane
And it looks like they are keeping that "you gained/lost influence" crap in this one too. I don't want to know that - in "older" RPGs the good writing was telling you more than any indicator.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
MetalCraze said:
And it looks like they are keeping that "you gained/lost influence" crap in this one too.

At least there's no 'INFLUENCE: [NUMBER]' meter under their character pictures like in MotB.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Nice review. And good to see you "in print" over here again, Herr Ubersturmfuhrer.

The OC annoyed me enough that I find it hard to muster much enthusiasm for anything else NWN2 related, but this review has lifted me from "definitely not" to a "maybe".

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I recommend trying it, too. I haven't finished it yet, but I like what I've seen so far. I was quite surprised with the quality of some encounters and with the amount of interesting text you can find in the game if you look for it.

Tuco

Novice
Sounds fairly good designed.
Sadly I really can't stand NWN2.
I hate almost all about it: UI, art style, gameplay, controls, camera, etc.

Situk

Novice
so old game.
but i still like it so much!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom