Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Ron Gilbert on DeathSpank

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: DeathSpank

When not busy being a <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_Island_series" target="blank">living legend</a> or making <a href="http://grumpygamer.com/comic-8891" target="blank">terrible flash webcomics</a>, Ron Gilbert can sometimes be found doing a Codex interview on his upcoming RPG/adventure, <b><a href="http://www.deathspank.com/" target="blank">DeathSpank</a></b>.
<br>
<blockquote>4. What about dialog? Will there branching dialog trees?
<br>
<br>
Yes, the way you interact with other characters (besides beating on the them with a sword if the need arises) is humorous Monkey Island style dialog trees. In the past few years this has become a lost art. Players today don't seem to enjoy a good conversation, or maybe it's that no one is giving them a good one to enjoy.</blockquote>
<br>
<a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=191">Read on for the full interview</a>

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Wow, this interview really came out of the blue. Still, it's Ron Gilbert, will read it in a bit. Game sounds interesting.

*EDIT*
Finished reading. Game is very intriguing and I look forward to some new info on it. Still a bit skeptical though, genre blends usually don't turn out very well.

Andhaira

Arcane
I'm all for a humorous rpg/adventure game. Hopefully dialogue will affect your stats and swordplay as in Monkey Island 2 (the sword duel with Le Chuck)

JoKa

Cipher
Ron Gilbert said:
Problem with a lot of M titles is they come from "developer immaturity" more than artistic need. The industry is made up of a lot of people that still giggle when they see a breast. Being M doesn't make you cool. Making a game where two girls kiss doesn't make you an "artist".

Respect++

Noceur

Liturgist
baby arm said:
or making <a href="http://grumpygamer.com/comic-8891" target="blank">terrible flash webcomics</a>

What? I thought it was amusing.

Nice interview, and good to see that he skipped the episodic road. I'm not sure episodic would go well with RPG.
Interesting that he goes for Diablo, so it'll be like an action RPG... but with adventure game dialogue. That's almost like a normal RPG, isn't it? Well, not sure "normal" would suit Death Spank, but...

edit: Yes I agree, his comment on Mature rating in games was spot on.

Seboss

Liturgist
baby arm said:
or making <a href="http://grumpygamer.com/comic-8891" target="blank">terrible flash webcomics</a>
I hoped it would be all about skyway.
You're right, it sucks and that gamer is not even grumpy.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Good interview. Kudos on snagging Ron, as well.

4. What about dialog? Will there branching dialog trees?

Yes, the way you interact with other characters (besides beating on the them with a sword if the need arises) is humorous Monkey Island style dialog trees. In the past few years this has become a lost art. Players today don't seem to enjoy a good conversation, or maybe it's that no one is giving them a good one to enjoy.

Story is paramount to the game. This is one of the strongest aspects borrowed from traditional adventure games. There is a complex story the weaves its way through the world.

Both these statements give me a lot of hope. Of course, you can never tell with an adventure until you get a good impression of the standard of writing (i.e. when you're playing it), but this is something I'll almost certainly give the benefit of the doubt.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
JoKa said:
Ron Gilbert said:
Problem with a lot of M titles is they come from "developer immaturity" more than artistic need. The industry is made up of a lot of people that still giggle when they see a breast. Being M doesn't make you cool. Making a game where two girls kiss doesn't make you an "artist".

Respect++
Respect++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hobo Elf

Arcane
JoKa said:
Ron Gilbert said:

Respect++

Exactly my thoughts. Marines going HOO-RAH all the while blowing an aliens head off with a gun he's holding on his right hand, and fondling blue alien tits with his left hand does not a mature game make. Even Peggle is much more mature than that shit.

Risine

Liturgist
Good to hear from him and Deathspank !
And respect +++ too.

But that's sad he didn't give more details about ... the chickens : are they rubber chickens with a pulley in the middle?

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
What a pathetic interview - you did not ask him what the Secret is. We need to know, he'll probably never have the chance to make MI5, for Heaven's sake!

On a more serious note, good job. Ron seems to understand what makes the games memorable and fun to play.
Looking forward to Deathspank. :salute:

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
VonVentrue said:
What a pathetic interview - you did not ask him what the Secret is. We need to know, he'll probably never have the chance to make MI5, for Heaven's sake!
Sir, I do believe you wanted to say "MI3" there. :glimmeringgemofhatred:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
R. Gilbert said:
"Yes, the way you interact with other characters (besides beating on the them with a sword if the need arises) is humorous Monkey Island style dialog trees. In the past few years this has become a lost art. Players today don't seem to enjoy a good conversation, or maybe it's that no one is giving them a good one to enjoy."

man. i'm not going to get excited just yet, but just reading that quote was refreshing.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Hümmelgümpf said:
VonVentrue said:
Sir, I do believe you wanted to say "MI3" there. :glimmeringgemofhatred:

I should have written "the true MI3 or MI5", I'm aware of that. It'd be Ron's decision to consider the games that followed 'LeChuck's Revenge' canon or not, however.
Still, I loved 'Curse...'. MI4 - not so much.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
VonVentrue said:

I proposed the question in the staff forum.
Baby arm did not include it in the interview.
It's blasphemy!

Antagonist

Liturgist
VonVentrue said:

Ron Gilbert once claimed that The Answer will be revealed after his demise provided that his death would be due to natural causes. :D

Frau Bishop

Erudite
Disturbing lack of love for Maniac Mansion in this otherwise cool interview.

Ron Gilbert said:
RPGCodex just published an interview I did about DeathSpank. Best to go check it out before their servers go down.
Sounds promising. What's the plan?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom