Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

To do before launch.

Calis

Pensionado
Tags: RPG Codex

Alright, we're almost there. I've said it before, and will probably say it again.
<br>
Stuff I still need to do:
<br>
- Create content index pages
<br>
- Finish content approval script with auto-news post generation
<br>
- Create search & archive function for news
<br>
- Get rid of the ZILLIONS OF BUGS in my scripts
<br>
<br>
Stuff YOU PEOPLE need to do:
<br>
- Help me find the ZILLIONS OF BUGS in my scripts
<br>
- Write general info pages (staff page, IRC chat page, mission statement, whatnot)
<br>
- Get some content prepared for launch

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Calis said:
Stuff YOU PEOPLE need to do:
- Help me find the ZILLIONS OF BUGS in my scripts
- Write general info pages (staff page, IRC chat page, mission statement, whatnot)
- Get some content prepared for launch

I know I'm not in on this, but one of the things I found was that I never knew what was going on (It's also the way I believe Sheriff Fatman felt). It seemed as if lots of stuff was planned, but no-one ever told anyone. As it is, that "top-secret spiffy new site" forum was under-used. I felt a nice "This is what we're planning" post in there would've been good.

I mean, you want content, but I never really knew what content you wanted, what aim the site had or what kind of content you wanted.

Though I suppose it's easier being a critic.

Although, for a Mission Statement, I'd suggest you throw in there:
We will never review a game unless:
1) The game has been released to the general public (IE: No full reviews of beta versions. Maybe a brief glimpse about the promise a beta might have, but not treated as a "review of the game" as such).
2) The reviewer has completely finished that game. Not the first chapter, part whatever. Not "played 2 hours and got bored". No. The WHOLE game. 100%. From start to finish.

Wojit

Educated
This is the comments thread for <A HREF="http://www.tycooncodex.com/gamedetails.php?id=69">1830: Railroads & Robber Barons</A>

A railroad empire building game, reminiscent of Railroad Tycoon and based on a board game of the same name and and publisher. You deal less with the minutae than in RT and concentrate more on the high-level decisions. All of this is done with the aim of making as much money as you can and avoiding losing your job as CEO. Includes a stock market model to play and profit with and good AI to compete with.

Deathy

Liturgist
Sort of falls flat if you want a review of Morrowind in a reasonable time frame though.

Wojit

Educated
Yeah
In truth, I'd have to vote against that. As long as you're not reviewing Fallout 2 based on the Temple of Trials or something, one can usually get a good review from 50% of a game.
Personally I'd try to finish it in most cases, but it often would just not work

(I quite like some Maxis games)

Xerophyte

Educated
The dark netherworld of dutch Gouda cheese
Yes, I agree to everything

Finishing a game is certainly a plus, but shouldn't be viewed as a requirement. For there are games that are too large to finish within a reasonable timeframe and games small-yet-replayable enough that just finishing them once isn't enough.

What I think should be a requirement is mentioning that "I've played so-and-so many hours of the game and not seen the end of it yet". This will make it so people at least know how much entertainment, or lack of the same, we are guaranteeing them.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
The "I've only played X hours of this game" statement in a review would be good. Right off the bat the reader knows whether you've finished it or not.

Wojit said:
Yeah
In truth, I'd have to vote against that. As long as you're not reviewing Fallout 2 based on the Temple of Trials or something, one can usually get a good review from 50% of a game.
Personally I'd try to finish it in most cases, but it often would just not work

The only problem with that is if the game's last 50% is dodge. Like Thief 2. GREAT game. That last level is horribly designed though. It's nothing like a well-made cathedral/mechanical/bad guys lair. It resembles more of a hack job made by someone who's having their first attempt at level making and just wants to throw everything in there for the hell of it.

Anyway, my point is, a lot of games have a great beginning and middle but they lack in the ending department (FO2), something which can be missed in reviews. Also, some RPGs can become repetitive after a while (all the quests end up being variations of the same thing, no uniqeness). Playing it all the way through lets you pick up on that.

If you want to review a game that you haven't finished yet, I'd strongly consider another review once you have finished it or at least updating your previous pre-liminary review to a better completed one. I think a lot of this will start to bear on the sites reputation. If you publish unfinished reviews it looks bad and brings your reputation down. Particularly when it's an RPG site and as I understand, you'll also be reviewing good little games that aren't mainstream. The kind of things that really need to be played through to the finish.

Writing a review on an FPS after only playing 50% is different to writing a solid, good quality review on a genre of games that, in most cases, take considerably longer than 1 weekend to complete. Overall, most RPGs offer much more game time than other games and in my experience, people usually want to buy a good one that'll last them for a month or two. Hence, they'll really want to pick their product. A good review will help them do that.

I agree though, in some cases, completely finishing a game properly can take too long for a review to be written. Considering most good RPGs need to be played 2 or more times in different ways in order to gain a full respect for what it has to offer, like playing Arcanum as a good guy, then playing again as an evil character and having Virgil wig-out on you. It's the things like that, that in my completely worthless, non-member, not involved but saying stuff anyway, sitting on the outside, bitching opinion, will gain the site a strong and loyal following.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom