Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Tim Cain is a Cocktease

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Tim Cain

MMOs are generally verboten around here (despite the unspoken fact that a full third of all Codexers have had a WoW or <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=24323" target="blank">Hello Kitty Online</a> addiction at some point), but when Tim Cain starts <a href="http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=17634" target="blank">talking about his latest project</a> for <a href="http://www.carbinestudios.com/games/" target="blank">Carbine Studios</a> and throws around words like "Arcanum" and "explosive collars", it's hard to not pay attention.
<br>
<blockquote>ZAM: We know that your current project is an original IP with fantasy elements. However, you've previously said that it's not entirely fantasy-based. What else can you tell us about the game's setting?
<br>
<br>
Tim: Remember my game Arcanum? It postulated a world where magic and science were at odds with each other, and ultimately you had to decide to embrace one or the other, or to forever walk the fine line between. This game is entirely not like that game.</blockquote>
<br>
If you didn't already know this will likely be a mix of fantasy and sci-fi, be sure to check out the <a href="http://www.carbinestudios.com./downloads/" target="blank">concept art</a>.
<br>
<blockquote>ZAM: Finally, is there anything else you can tell us about your current project?
<br>
<br>
Tim: Here's a list of some of my favourite things: explosions, zombies, lasers, robots, ambient music, pets, giant monsters, dark humor and moral grey areas. All but one of these things is in my game.</blockquote>
<br>
<i>Thanks to Drog for pointing this out.</i>

Andhaira

Arcane
Wait, choose either or walk the fine line? Has he even played his own game? In arcanum you could choose to be NEITHER and play as a simple swordsman or thief or wanderer.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
We are having tons of news more or less related to Fallout in the past while.

Seboss

Liturgist
This game is entirely not like that game.
So the MMO is entirely *not* like Arcanum? What kind of answer is that?
'Hey, where is Mount Everest?'
'See Belgium? Definitely not there.'

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
He's either being sarcastic and is saying he's making Arcanum online (which is my preferences given his later answer) or he's saying the game really is where you choose one path and that's it and there is no fine line.

Given this answer though:
  • Tim: Here's a list of some of my favourite things: explosions, zombies, lasers, robots, ambient music, pets, giant monsters, dark humor and moral grey areas. All but one of these things is in my game.
I think they're leaving out the zombies. If you've got lasers, than logic dictates there would be robots. If you have robots, logic would dictate lasers also exist. Therefore there are no zombies... or it's "moral grey areas" and his answer about Arcanum is truthful.

i don't know how it can compete against the likes of this:

%5Cadmin%5Cimages%5Cpromo_images%5CTiger%5CLunaOnline_Tiger.jpg

Andhaira

Arcane
Hmm arcanum online made by tim cain??

This deserves its own thread.

Sckarecrow92

Educated
Tim Cain said:
explosions, zombies, lasers, robots, ambient music, pets, giant monsters, dark humor and moral grey areas. All but one of these things is in my game.

WHICH?!

Black

Arcane
But really, I'm kind of proud that Fallout has had such a long life

Maybe my English is bad, but doesn't that suggest that Tim believes that the Fallout franchise is now dead?

Ausir

Arcane
Your English is bad. If he believed so, he'd say "Fallout had such a long life"

Black

Arcane
Yeah, well it's not nice to laugh at people's mental disabilities Ausir.

X40c

Novice
St. Toxic said:
Black said:
Does Tim believe that the Fallout franchise is now dead?

He does, in a way.

Its more likely a hint at an unspoken hope that Bethesda won't make any more Fallout rapeings(see: Bethesda: return to Oblivion)

Xerxos

Novice
Sckarecrow92 said:
Tim Cain said:
explosions, zombies, lasers, robots, ambient music, pets, giant monsters, dark humor and moral grey areas. All but one of these things is in my game.

WHICH?!

ambient music! If you have the rest, you don't need music anymore.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
This would probably be the only MMORPG that I would play. I doubt I could hold my self to hating it either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom