Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview New Mage-Related Media For Dragon Age

Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

Bioware has put up some exclusive screenshots and a short trailer showing off some of the Mage class abilities in Dragon Age: Origins. It requires you to log in as a member of their forums however, so I didn't investigate much further (not to mention Bioware's Dragon Age website usually crashes my browser), but I'm sure some people will be interested enough to check them out in the <a href="http://dragonage.bioware.com/gallery.html">Dragon Age gallery</a> and may want the heads up. Assuming you don't frequent the places I rip news from, of course.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://gamebanshee.com/">Gamebanshee</A>

MetalCraze

Arcane
Damn the game looks as fugly as NWN2

zoomer_59.jpg

zoomer_56.jpg

zoomer_57.jpg

Next-generation graphics

The textures and lighting looks good enough ( I have pretty low standards though), but the character models look awful. Technically, it looks fine, but the aesthetics are pretty terrible. Well...the blood is pretty lame too...but I'm spoiled with Ninja Gaiden I guess.

Also thanks for linking the images here.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
skyway said:

You're trying too hard, skyway. The art direction is questionable, but I wouldn't go so far as to say DA "looks ugly". Besides, this particular aspect of the game is the least of my worries.

MetalCraze

Arcane
No sorry. I don't consider an empty edgy ground, a bunch of stones and a few copy-pasted trees - something even decent. It is a terrible art design and it just shouts "they were too lazy".
MotB looks decent-to-good
Drakensang looks good (and how about comparing its budget to DA?)
DA looks bad.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
VonVentrue said:
skyway said:

You're trying too hard, skyway. The art direction is questionable, but I wouldn't go so far as to say DA "looks ugly". Besides, this particular aspect of the game is the least of my worries.

Hey, the fuglier it looks, the more likely it'll actually run on my graying PC.

Risine

Liturgist
So much development time for such an ugly and art-directionless game ( how can this be, I'm pretty sure they have excellent artists in their team ).
They should have made a NWN2 mod, they would have spared millions bucks for the same result.
Is it me, or 3D RPG visual games have come to a peak for the last 3-4 years?

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hmm, looks like shit. Im really disappointed, until they released the first screenshots of the game I was cinvinced that they will do pretty well in the visual and art design department, even if the rest of the game would suck. That hope is gone now, the art design is as bland as it gets.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"is as bland as it gets."

Dejavu. Reminds me of the Codex. R00fles!

poocolator said:
Very unlikely. Remember NWN2? Sprinkle that with more polygons, complex graphical effects and shaders (and quite probably, bigger texture size), and you have yourself... a true role-playing game.

OlSheep

Novice
Something is wrong with the way these characters hold their staves... The hand in the second picture is clipping through the weapon (and the hand in the first picture looks, for lack of a better word, gay).

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
I was also hoping for a great art direction after seeing first renders, sad that it turned out to be so shit.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Sagus said:
poocolator said:
Very unlikely. Remember NWN2? Sprinkle that with more polygons, complex graphical effects and shaders (and quite probably, bigger texture size), and you have yourself... a true role-playing game.

Though they may suck at making games, BioWare is good at optimizing their shit recently. Mass Effect runs completely flawlessly on high/max settings on my computer whilst NWN2 runs like complete shit even on medium/low settings.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seriously, wtf are you talking about?

This is not Gears of War 3, this is a (well, supposedly) huge world RPG. And those are close-up screenshots. It's not even supposed to be played from that close.

You'll play the game more like this, I guess:

zoomer_9.jpg

The graphics may not be the best that are possible today, but who cares?

...Hooray for bitching for the sake of bitching!

aries202

Erudite
In this thread

http://daforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.h ... &forum=135

at the Bioware forums, Alodar has found this
interview with the good doctors, Ray and Greg from Bioware.

http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scen ... g-gdc.html

Here you will learn how Bioware first makes out the world, the story and the characters come to fit the world, not the other way around....

As for the screenshots, they are supposed to give a bit of nostalgia, I find, as they clearly remind me of playing Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights.

I agree about the animation of the mage's staff, though.

I highly doubt these sceenshots are from the Xbox 360 as Dragon Age is being made for the PC first, then ported to consoles. Besides, when did rhe RPG Codex care about how great or good a game's visual presentation is or was....

It is the stoiry, the characters, the dialogue I'm more concerned about - especially the whole travelling from town to town recruiting people to a big (rts?) battle....

MetalCraze

Arcane
PC and console version are being made together.

@thesheep: the art design is still terrible - no matter from which angle you're looking.

yes plz said:
Though they may suck at making games, BioWare is good at optimizing their shit recently. Mass Effect runs completely flawlessly on high/max settings on my computer whilst NWN2 runs like complete shit even on medium/low settings.
That's because they've used U3 engine in ME (and you still must have a pretty powerful PC for ME to run well). In DA, they're back to self-made.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
skyway said:
@thesheep: the art design is still terrible - no matter from which angle you're looking.

It could be more interesting, yeah. At least from what I've seen so far.
But terrible? Come on...

yes plz said:
Doesn't mean they won't be able to optimize it well.
Actually, it does. NWN1 didn't perform well, back in the day. Neither did KotOR1, at the time of its release. And JE:SE? KotOR1 in disguise released years after.
Mass Effect? A 1.5 year old game may run well on your new PC (congrats), but Bio has little to do with it. Compare its performance to Gears of War or Mirror's Edge, for example, or try running it on a "graying PC", just for chuckles. And that's with areas the size of a cardboard box and copy-paste low-poly environments.

You want to believe? That's fine. Either way, we've already wasted more posts on this than it's worth.

MetalCraze

Arcane
thesheeep said:
skyway said:

It could be more interesting, yeah. At least from what I've seen so far.
But terrible? Come on...

24boq3b.jpg

I saw such visuals in PoP2:WW, a 2004 game made for a console with 2001 tech.
This is bad. Bioware got ridiculously lazy.

Thrasher

Erudite
thesheeep said:
The graphics may not be the best that are possible today, but who cares?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom