Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Brian Mitsoda on Bloodlines

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Troika alum Brian Mitsoda gave an interview on <b><a href="http://www.terra-arcanum.com/troikagames/products.htm" target="blank">Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines</a></b> and writing in general over at <a href="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/04/06/interview-without-a-vampire-bloodlines-b-mitsoda/" target="blank">Rock Paper Shotgun</a>.
<br>
<blockquote>RPS: Do you feel that good writing in games gets overlooked, while bad writing gets trashed?
<br>
<br>
Mitsoda: I feel like bad writing is tolerated, while mediocre writing gets spooned. I don’t think good games necessarily need good writing, but I would really enjoy it if games that sell their story first and foremost did a better job of delivering. Certain studios and writers, I think, get a pass (and work) no matter what they turn out, while a few veterans (like Tim Schafer) continue to turn out excellent work. I think if critics are going to focus on a game’s writing, they should analyze not only the marriage of the narrative to the gameplay, but set some higher standards for what they expect from characters, plot, and dialogue.
<br>
<br>
A good scene, a good line, and/or a decent character do not make a game’s story great. Bad writing is bad writing – it might not matter if the game is fun, but don’t score the story higher because the game mechanics were tight or the setting was novel. Ultimately, the writing really isn’t that key to a fantastic game, but for those that do make it a crucial part of their game and hype it as such, those are the games the gaming press should be a lot more critical of. And for those that identify themselves as game writers, critics and fans should absolutely hold feet to flames ad infinitum, myself included.</blockquote>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/">RPS</A>

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Ultimately, the writing really isn’t that key to a fantastic game.
Thank fucking god.

When even a game writer like Mitsoda says it, it just shows you how much story matters in a game.

Krash

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
Thank fucking god.

When even a game writer like Mitsoda says it, it just shows you how much story matters in a game.

Maybe you should read the whole thing before posting? He said it's not necessary, but also that games with a focus on story/dialogues should have good writing or else the game suffers.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Indeed, so that doesn't leave story as a limiting factor any way.

elander_

Arbiter
Fuck the story, make great characters with great dialog choices instead.

Castanova

Prophet
I would list about 100 classic games that don't have any story whatsoever but then again you "gamers" would just hide your head in the sand.

Dionysus

Scholar
elander_ said:
Fuck the story, make great characters with great dialog choices instead.
I think that was the philosophy behind Bloodlines. Anyway, I totally agree with what he said about writing in videogames. It generally ranges from mediocre to awful, it doesn't matter very much, and it is usually funny at its best (like Tim Schafer).

FeelTheRads

Arcane
If a good story isn't necessary for a fantastic game... then what you call a fantastic game which also has a good story? The mind boggles.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
When we are talking about writing we are talking about dialog - characters - plot , even item descriptions. In a cRPG game by default there is going to be a lot of writing involved , so yes quality writing is one of the fundamental aspects. Of course for an FPS writing is not as important. On the other hand playtesting and releasing a game without major bugs is also fundamental and that's where Troika screwed up.

But hey look at FO3, the writing was retarded ,yet it sold great. So obviously awful writing doesn't bother most of the kids that dominate the gaming market.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
FeelTheRads said:
If a good story isn't necessary for a fantastic game... then what you call a fantastic game which also has a good story? The mind boggles.
It's very good and moist cake, which also happens to have good icing.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
ghostdog said:
But hey look at FO3, the writing was retarded ,yet it sold great. So obviously awful writing doesn't bother most of the kids that dominate the gaming market.

That plus there is another aspect of it: the writing is terrible but was advertised as great, and very few people publicly said how retarded it is. Most people being sheeps, they will read in a review that the writing is great, and will simply believe it and repeat it.

Suchy

Arcane
Someone post this on TES boards. A couple of useful tips on develping NPCs there - the thing Bethesda is totally lacking.

kris

Arcane
Castanova said:
I would list about 100 classic games that don't have any story whatsoever but then again you "gamers" would just hide your head in the sand.

This is not about whether a game need a story to be good or not.

Hory

Erudite
Pretty much.

Games have three important parts: gameplay, story, and multimedia. Each adds to the user experience and I think this should also be the order of their importance. Games which don't follow this order tend to suck or be little more than slightly interactive movies.
It's difficult to get all three elements right. Hell, the industry sucks at making any of them good. The gameplay is dumbed down and repetitive, the writing is cliched or mediocre at best, the graphics are just technical achievements rather than artistic ones, and the music just copies the soundtracks of movies rather than adapting itself to this medium by becoming interactive.
And it's not that there aren't people on Earth that couldn't do better, it's that the production system opposes the doing of better. Compare, for example, the numerous samples of awesome concept art which end up overdosed on bloom and bumpmapping.
Are games art? How could they be, when they're the products of businessmen and market studies rather than artists expressing themselves without hinderance?

Zomg

Arbiter
I'd be happy if they were able to draw a distinction between "writing" and "story".

Game critics are so, so terrible.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
I think games CAN BE art, same way movies can - just WAY tougher to do so when you're working within a medium that was from its inception based on turning a profit - unlike film, which had about 20 or so years to get itself figured out a bit before big studio systems started forming and turning it into a mass-produced format.

Also, occasionally a big-budget game gets out that has solid artistic aspirations. And then we have indies, which may lack spit-shine polish but get to try out so many more concepts and ideas than the published kind. If we had a proper combo of the two then I would say OH GOD IT'S HEAVAN (which I believe is the popular phrase for it hereabouts).

And HEY KIDS, plz to not pirate games. Money doesn't go to Troika, and that sucks, and if you want I know where to reach Mitsoda in case anyone wants to give him five bucks for Bloodlines or anything, but IDEALLY if Bloodlines still does well on Steam, it opens up more opportunities for other deserving games to get more press, and motivate publishers who see its success to give more chances to other devs. That's the hope, anyway.

The more you knooowwww...

nomask7

Arcane
Absolutely right. I've never played a game that had above average writing, but some were fantastic (such as MotB, Hordes of the Underdark, Night of the Raven).

nomask7

Arcane
Zomg said:
I'd be happy if they were able to draw a distinction between "writing" and "story".

Game critics are so, so terrible.
Yes. I've noticed that some folk here also confuse the two as well.

edit: separating the content from the style might be pointless when we're talking about novels or short stories, but separating the narrative experience from the writing in a game is a whole different thing.

Castanova

Prophet
I love when people think of art as "self-expression" devoid of the motive to make money. It's not. Most of the greatest works of art were commissioned with even their subject matter predetermined by the, yes, "businessmen" and not the artist. A true artist knows that creativity is functioning within constraints. A skilled artist is one that functions within tight constraints via well-honed technique. Being "anti-establishment" or wearing black make-up and writing stories about your feelings doesn't make you artistic. Sorry.

nomask7

Arcane
Castanova said:
I love when people think of art as "self-expression" devoid of the motive to make money. It's not. Most of the greatest works of art were commissioned with even their subject matter predetermined by the, yes, "businessmen" and not the artist. A true artist knows that creativity is functioning within constraints. A skilled artist is one that functions within tight constraints via well-honed technique. Being "anti-establishment" or wearing black make-up and writing stories about your feelings doesn't make you artistic. Sorry.
So true. Neither does being a dispensable corporate whore though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom