Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News BioWare talk about Victorian and Wild West RPGs

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 2

<a href="http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/966/966963p1.html">IGN speak with BioWare</a>. Words are said:
<br>
<blockquote>Aside from the types of fantasy and science-fiction settings BioWare is known for building into its games, the duo commented on a few other scenarios that might be interesting. "We actually discuss that stuff a lot," said Zeschuk. "We've got other stuff that may be in other genres."
<br>
<br>
"In fact," chimed in Muzyka, "it probably is."
<br>
<br>
Getting back to the question, Zeschuk started up with, "A horror RPG you could do a whole kind of different ways, it's been done before by some folks but we'd probably put our own fingerprints on it. There's lots of places you could tell a story. We haven't talked much about Wild West…Victorian England. [laughter]."
<br>
<br>
"I'm not sure about that last one," said Muzyka. "But you can make almost anything into an RPG."</blockquote>
<br>
Oh yeah, there's also some stuff in there about Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2:
<br>
<blockquote>On the subject of downloadable content, Zeschuk said it was becoming a fundamental part of the company's overall philosophy, as it's part of the plan with Dragon Age. He shifted gears into Mass Effect 2, the upcoming sequel to the science-fiction epic, the first part of which was released in 2008 for the PC platform, and in late 2007 for the Xbox 360. "Mass 2 is going to have some plans [for DLC]. We'll look at Mass Effect 2 differently because it's a different kind of game. It's a very cinematic action shooter / RPG and with different kinds of consumers and different kinds of likes for DLC, so that's something we're always going to be iterating on."
<br>
[...]
<br>
Our philosophy is to lovingly handcraft every version so that players have a different entry point, different interface, different controls that work really well. A lot people said when they played the PC version 'Wow that's cool, it's like they designed it as a PC game.' Well yeah, we did, because we made PC fans feel supported. We also made 360 fans feel like it was developed as a 360 game because it was. Both answers are true.</blockquote>
<br>
They also talk about tightening up exploration.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Kthan75</b>!

Twinfalls

Erudite
We haven't talked much about Wild West…Victorian England. [laughter]."

"I'm not sure about that last one," said Muzyka.

What a deeply unimaginative, ill-educated man.

Shannow

Waster of Time
On the subject of downloadable content, Zeschuk said it was becoming a fundamental part of the company's overall philosophy, as it's part of the plan with Dragon Age.
Really doing their best to keep me from buying their games :(

Our philosophy is to lovingly handcraft every version so that players have a different entry point, different interface, different controls that work really well. A lot people said when they played the PC version 'Wow that's cool, it's like they designed it as a PC game.' Well yeah, we did, because we made PC fans feel supported. We also made 360 fans feel like it was developed as a 360 game because it was. Both answers are true.
Sure it is. Who'd dare doubt a doctor?

skyway to the rescue! /3...2...1...go

Vibalist

Arcane
Well yeah, we did, because we made PC fans feel supported. We also made 360 fans feel like it was developed as a 360 game because it was. Both answers are true.

I see they're still trying to cater to the PC-crowd after the stunt they pulled with the delayed release date of Dragon Age.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Cloaked Figure said:
Funny, a game based on Victorian England (you know what the fuck I am talking about) beats pretty much anything they have ever put out. Assholes.

The "what you're talking about" isn't based on Victorian England and most certainly doesn't beat "anything" they have ever put out. Asshole.

Texas Red

Whiner
Aside from the types of fantasy and science-fiction settings BioWare is known for building into its games, the duo commented on a few other scenarios that might be interesting. "We actually discuss that stuff a lot," said Zeschuk. "We've got other stuff that may be in other genres."

"In fact," chimed in Muzyka, "it probably is."

Getting back to the question, Zeschuk started up with, "A horror RPG you could do a whole kind of different ways, it's been done before by some folks but we'd probably put our own fingerprints on it. There's lots of places you could tell a story. We haven't talked much about Wild West…Victorian England. [laughter]."

"I'm not sure about that last one," said Muzyka. "But you can make almost anything into an RPG."

They're discussing such stuff a lot? Motherfucker I hate Bioware.

Dragon Age
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Star Wars MMOG

This is their project list. 2 series of the most unremarkable fantasy and SF and a MMOG based on a retarded wish fulfillment setting for children and young adults.

Get yourself acquainted with actual SF and fantasy before coming up with your ideas. And I'm not talking about LotR or Battlestar Galactica for TV.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Cloaked Figure said:
Arcanum is based on a Victorian England Tolkien-esque setting going through an industrial revolution. And yes, no Bioware game is better than Arcanum. Saying such a thing is retarded and mad.

The Fecal Kid again acts like a fucking moron.

The non-fantasy part of the game actually resembles more the industrial revolution era US but could be any western nation . When they talk of a Victorian England based rpg they probably have something more specific in mind regarding place and time. And who the fuck told you that because there is already a Victorian era style rpg no others should be made. I'ts not like Arcanum has the exclusive rights of the Victorian era, cloaked faggot.

They also talk about tightening up exploration.

What the fuck? ME didn't have ANY exploration.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
most certainly doesn't beat "anything" they have ever put out.

FAIL.

Arcanum not only beats everything they ever made, it beats everything they are ever capable of doing in the future they have left until EA decides to pull the plug on them.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Oh could you please all go and fuck yourselves?
Ask yourselves in what respects Arcanum is better than other games. Be specific. Your generalizations are purest fanboi drivel, not worth the time spent reading.

And who the fuck told you that because there is already a Victorian era style rpg no others should be made.
Bioware's comment that sounded like there hasn't ever been an RPG made in that (or a similar) style/era and pretty much dismissing it for RPGs.
We haven't talked much about Wild West…Victorian England. [laughter]."

"I'm not sure about that last one," said Muzyka. "But you can make almost anything into an RPG."

(There, I even said please)

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The cool thing about opinions is that they're opinions.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Cloaked Figure said:
Oh please, what is better?

BG2? No.

JE? Nope.

Mass Effect? Certainly not.

Shut the fuck up you idiot.

I don't know. Maybe one of them, some of them or even none of them. If the last one's the case, at least they might achieve it in the future, something Bioware have in plenty...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"And yes, no Bioware game is better than Arcanum"

L0LZ But, wrong. BG2, B1, JE, ME, and NWN are all better than Arcanum. Sorry, but the truth hurts.

"Arcanum completely blows FO1 and 2 out of the water"

You must be retarTed.

"What a deeply unimaginative, ill-educated man."

Don't be ignorant.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
""And yes, no Bioware game is better than Arcanum"

L0LZ But, wrong. BG2, B1, JE, ME, and NWN are all better than Arcanum. Sorry, but the truth hurts.

"Arcanum completely blows FO1 and 2 out of the water"

You must be retarTed.

"What a deeply unimaginative, ill-educated man."

Don't be ignorant."

lamer.gif

MetalCraze

Arcane
Indeed. Arcanum with lots of its skills, original steampunk setting, crafting, better writing, non-linear quests, C&C? Huh - piece of shit.
Gimme more of my linear bioware emo stories about whiny knights saving annoying princesses.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Who claimed Arcanum was a 'piece of shit' in this thread? Certainly not me. Arcanum is pretty darn good.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
ME.

Arcanum's plot = save the world as the chosen one... only you arne't the chosen one but you still svae the world (or not). R00fles!

ME's plot is actually more complex than that yet even simple in its beautiful. On one hand, it is also has a 'save the world' plot of trying stop the BIg bad Guy tm; but it's also about making your mark on the universe and leading humankind to either ultimate power or working with others.

Not super deep; but as far as plots go... ME > ARC

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I will admit that the final villian of Arcanum was pretty retarded. Seriously, he just wanted to destroy all life. Jade Empire was better in this regard (though certainly not Kotor, and Mass Effect's was just a machine. Never played BG2.)

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
FeelTheRads said:
Comprehension failure?
Detected.

He didn't want to kill all humans, he simply wanted to keep them from reproducing. And he intended mutants to go on living. In other words, you are a dumbfuck for trying to make that comparison.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom