Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Scorpia on Geneforge 5

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Geneforge 5; Spiderweb Software

Scorpia dragged <b><a href="http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/geneforge5/index.html" target="blank">Geneforge 5</a></b> into the Lair for one of her excruciatingly detailed <a href="http://www.scorpia.com/?p=1378" target="blank">reviews</a>.
<br>
<blockquote>As always with the Geneforge games, the big draw is the lack of moral judgment imposed by developers. You decide for yourself which is the best faction to join. There is no absolute right and wrong, except in your own perspective.
<br>
<br>
Next to turn-based combat, this has been the feature that most impressed me with the series. It’s a great pleasure to get away from the simple-minded “Kill Foozle” scenario, along with the puerile good/evil dichotomy found in most RPGs.
<br>
<br>
So, is it worth getting? Yes, if you enjoy “old school” RPGs, or want to finish up the series, or experience a better story than “Foozle”, and can put up with the design flaws. No, if you’ve played other Spiderweb games, and are tired of the format, which is unchanged. Like Geneforge 5, I leave the decision in your hands.</blockquote>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rampantgames.com/blog/">Rampant Coyote</A>

Andhaira

Arcane
Now I eagerly await news on Spidwebs next game now that the geneforge series is complete. Finally. I also look forward to a engine, or at least new tiles and graphics and spirties.

Heres to hoping Jeff goes for 3d character models like in eschalon.

Antagonist

Liturgist
AndhairaX said:
Now I eagerly await news on Spidwebs next game now that the geneforge series is complete.

He already announced some months ago that his next game will be Avernum 6. After that he plans to start working on a new setting as well as on a new engine. Although if you hope that he will massively improve teh grafix you should better read this [1] first.

[1] http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-many-games-i-sell-part-two.html

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Speaking of buffing, the speed spell has been nerfed almost to uselessness. In the past, hasted characters automatically received extra action points, often allowing for two attacks per round. Now, the speed kicks in randomly. You have no idea if your character or a creation will be able to act twice in a round. All this change does is make fights last longer; it certainly doesn’t add anything positive to the game.
This sounds like a very bad design decision. I'm surprised a veteran dev would do something like that.

Micmu

Magister
Yeah, the solution with speed and slow is not the best one. It would be much better if he tied it directly to action points and remodeled the combat system accordingly.
Still, in previous GFs speed was a bit overpowering because it unconditionally gave everyone additional attack(s). Basically, group speed was the most important spell and there was little reason to cast any other buff before it, so the combat was pretty much revolving around the same formula.

Kraszu

Prophet
He could make it work every second or third round to nerf it but still make predictable.

Andhaira

Arcane
I don't say a massive improve in grafix, I mean something comparable to Eschalon. Much of eschalons prettiness comes from good design sense; the tiles themselves are something vogel could afford.

After so many years IMO vogel can produce something of eschalons quality, yet with better combat. Spidweb also has a good collection of monsters.

Andhaira

Arcane
I just read the article and he DOES mention eschalon! :D And apparently he is trying to catch up. He very well could by eschalon book 3's release, as all 3 eschalons will use the same engine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom