Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Dragon Age - It's Gritty, Mature, & Choices with Consequence

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

In case you haven't yet filled your <b>Dragon Age: Origins</b> catch phrase quota, here's <a href="http://games.kikizo.com/features/ray-muzyka-bioware-interview-feb09-p1.asp" target="blank">an interview</a> with Ray Muzyka at Kikizo.
<br>
<blockquote>Kikizo: It's a while since you've done Dungeons and Dragon related stuff - do you ever think about going back to that IP?
<br>
<br>
Muzyka: Yeah we do, but I think with Dragon Age, we wanted to do something a little different. Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights are more sort of high fantasy, whereas Dragon Age is definitely a conscious effort to make something that's dark, heroic fantasy. So it's not low fantasy or high fantasy, but it's got some of the best-of-breed features from both types of fantasy. Really it's mature, it's gritty, it's choices with consequence, it's making decisions that have an impact on the world and feeling like you're actually leading to different outcomes. You're a hero, but you so some things that are kind of dark, too. And I think that's exciting - I think players are going to be excited to see something different than the normal, traditional fantasy experience. </blockquote>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com/">Blue's News</A>

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
As a Pole I also feel obliged.

Witcher rip-off!

Dr. Ray said:
and feeling like you're actually leading to different outcomes.

Keyword feeling. Not that it's actually happening, just the illusion of it.

Dr. Ray said:
I think players are going to be excited to see something different than the normal, traditional fantasy experience.

And that's exactly why you haven't shown anything but generic fantasy in all the media you have released.

Barbader

Novice
Re: Dragon Age - It's Gritty, Mature, & Choices with Con

baby arm said:
Really it's mature, it's gritty, it's choices with consequence, ...

It will be a trend in next years quote choices with consequence. Lets see in the back of the games boxes: ¡with CWC(tm)!

denizsi

Arcane
This:

Edward_R_Murrow said:
Dr. Ray said:

But still, progress is progress. In previous BW games, I haven't felt like I was.. well, actually, I pretty much haven't felt anything at all.

Syraxith

Novice

It's a while since you've done Dungeons and Dragon related stuff - do you ever think about going back to that IP?
I wouldn't mind Obsidian doing NWN 3 or BG 3, as long as it's not rushed straight to hell like NWN 2's release.

Really it's mature, it's gritty
I have a feeling it'll be toned down, there's a fair amount of "I want a mature game yet appropriate enough in case my kid walks into the room" idiots posting on their forums about this every so often.

it's making decisions that have an impact on the world and feeling like you're actually leading to different outcomes.
I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt on this.

Murk

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
Low fantasy?

As in, "low magic?" I've never heard that term before.

Not necessarily, Low fantasy would imply that the setting is 'fantasy' but that its more towards normal than not. So maybe stuff like you see one or two elves on your average adventure, magic is very rare and more, i shudder to use this term, logical. Much of the fantastical elements would be behind the curtain and while their existence is certain, their presence is a rarity.

The bioware response may as well have been "we're awesome, this game is awesome"

feighnt

Scholar
ugh, i'm trying not to be cynical about this, but this:

"it's mature, it's gritty, it's choices with consequence, it's making decisions that have an impact on the world and feeling like you're actually leading to different outcomes."

ugh, they're setting gamers up for disappointment (not including codexers, who obviously arent expecting anything good). too much bragging, give a bit more evidence, some actual proof! you hear game developers claiming crap like this just way too much to take it seriously anymore.

Lingwe

Liturgist
Hey who doesn't want the chance to be a reluctant hero who is willing to sacrifice his life.

elander_

Arbiter
As long as the other choice is also present, that is, not to be an hero and just do it for your own good.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member

BioWere said:
It's fantasy but it's not the fantasy you're used to. It's a whole new different type of fantasy that's different from the other fantasy which Dragon Age is not. No sirree. No typical fantasy here!
Their PR department actually thought people were going to buy this?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Dr. Ray said:

Dr. Ray said:
I think players are going to be excited to see something different than the normal, traditional fantasy experience.

And that's exactly why you haven't shown anything but generic fantasy in all the media you have released.

Sadly I'm sure you are spot on Mr. Murrow.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Dr. Ray said:

Dr. Ray said:

Sadly I'm sure you are spot on Mr. Murrow.
You trust these Grey Wardens too much.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
This gaem isnt even published and you are already bashing it...

Wow.

A hint to irony and not to mental retardation, I hope?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom