Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPGDot reader think KotOR was really pretty

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: BioWare; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Our pals at <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a> are still at it with their game of the year awards thing and they've put up their <a href=http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=839>best graphics in an RPG</a> award today. <a href=http://www.swkotor.com>Knights of the Old Republic</a> gets the nod with <a href=http://www.pirahna-bytes.com>Gothic II</a> and <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com>Morrowind: Bloodmoon</a> coming in as runners-up.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>KotOR features some excellent graphics that create an authentic Star Wars environment. Players will visit a wide variety of beautifully rendered locations from desert Tatooine to the heavily forested Wookie world of Kashyyyk, each with their unique traits. Character models are generally good and the combat animation with its choreographed lightsaber swordplay is undoubtedly a highlight for many players. The facial animation isn't perfect, the face models re-used a little too often and the lighting system lacks some features but particularly on the PC with resolutions up to 1600 x 1200, KotOR was one of the best looking RPGs last year.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I may sound biased--and hell, I am--but I thought <a href=http://www.greyhawkgame.com>ToEE</a> was pretty.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
TOEE has good graphics; but I think personally that KOTOR's shines. It has some of the best graphics I've seen thus far. Unlike its sound for the most part I thought was avergae; KOTOR's graphics stood out. The different worlds (looked* different and for teh most part was worthy of looking at. Thumbs up for this award.

Dhruin

Liturgist
I thought ToEE had excellent graphics. I've noticed comments on various forums about iso being "outdated" and similar sorts of sentiments so I'm not surprised the pundits voted for 1st/3rd person titles. Still, kotor's graphics were pretty good except for some animations that looked straight out of NWN and limitations with the lighting.

Kotor's sound might be average (I think it's one of it's strengths) but how does it compare relative to the other RPG titles released last year? I liked ToEE's music and sound effects but the voice overs dragged it down.

Jed

Cipher
I thought it was silly to have "pretty graphics" in KotOR, yet no true free-look. The limited camera was crap in my opinion. Also, I think Morrowind should have one this one easy: pretty graphics < pretty graphics + the abitilty to interact with them.

ToEE's graphics were crisp and fluid, too bad we had fog of war in towns... (at least, pre-CO8 patch).

KOTOR has pretty graphics, but I agree with XJEDX, the fuck does that matter if it's meaningless?

I'd go with Gothic over Morrowind just because Gothic had a better use of color, but Morrowind (that is, Bloodmoon) is still pretty impressive.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
HOTU was asw ell actually.. just didn't score as well. That said, out of all the possible games; quite frnakly; MW and its compatritots can go to Puke Hell. It has some of the most overrated graphics of all time. KOTOR was a good choice. I could have lived with TOEE winning or any of the other games for that matter despite not really playing them. It beats picking a game where someone shitting in a can and then using it to paint the scenery winning the Best Graphics Award. *puke*

taks

Liturgist
toee certainly had some of the best effects... can't argue there. overall its graphics were above average, however.

mark

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
undead dolphin hacker said:
ToEE's graphics were crisp and fluid, too bad we had fog of war in towns... (at least, pre-CO8 patch).

Crisp and fluid my ass. One of the most common problems is slowdown when moving teh mouse, with or without a cd crack.

triCritical

Erudite
undead dolphin hacker said:

Talk about a game ruiner. The FoW is got to be one of the ugliest elements I have ever seen in games. Its even worse, dare I say, when a game uses LoS.

Anonymous

Heh, if you run ToEE windowed, no mouse lag, wee. And battles ran better for me.

Also, Morrowind's textures look like pure monkey ass, and Bloodmoon is a friggin expansion. Not to mention all those 'omg pine trees' in Bloodmoon caused the game to run very slow. And to top it off, far better looking trees have been done with the same game engine. Go go shitty expansions.

Whipporowill

Erudite
ToEE's animations was some of the best I ever saw, certainly my choice for purdiest graph of 2003, with Goth 2 as a contender... although outdated it looked much like a real world. One of the few games I remember stopping to look at the scenery.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
MW graphics, while definitely immersive, were nothing more than memory hogging and butt ugly in certain aspects. Especially where the avatars were concerned. I remember the first time I powered up MW and looking at the NPCs and being scared. :shock: TOEE definitely had some of the best graphics in an iso game and the special effects were beautifully done.
I haven't even seen screenshots of Gothic 2, so I can't make a judgement there. I didn't like the first one that much, and reading alot about the second one in another thread in this forum, I'm not interested. KOTOR's graphics were nice, that's for sure. Epecially Taris. But, I do prefer TOEE and think it should have gotten the prize. :)

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Volourn said:
HOTU was asw ell actually.. just didn't score as well. That said, out of all the possible games; quite frnakly; MW and its compatritots can go to Puke Hell. It has some of the most overrated graphics of all time. KOTOR was a good choice. I could have lived with TOEE winning or any of the other games for that matter despite not really playing them. It beats picking a game where someone shitting in a can and then using it to paint the scenery winning the Best Graphics Award. *puke*
I didn't read the article so I didn't know HOTU was included in this contest as well. I guess its been a thin year for the RPG crowd. I agree with you on morrowind's graphics, can't say I cared for the weather effects either. ToEE should have been included, the textures were very nice (if not a little generic looking)...

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Otaku_Hanzo said:
I haven't even seen screenshots of Gothic 2, so I can't make a judgement there.
I haven't played KotOR, but Gothic 2 has the most beautiful graphics I've ever seen in a computer game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Killzig, TOEE was included. It didn't win outright; but it was up there.

Voss

Erudite
That and some other things on that list makes me wonder what RPGdot thinks RPGs are.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I think both the graphics of KoTOR and Gothic 2 are very good, and are quite well done (despite the differences in style). However, i think that between KoTOR's "generic space opera" and G2's "sort of generic medieval setting", i liked KoTOR's more.

Voss said:
That and some other things on that list makes me wonder what RPGdot thinks RPGs are.

Like Freelancer :? Though the funny thing is, i liked Freelancer's graphics during cutscenes which involved people. They were atually quite well done and body movement was somewhat lifelike. Too bad the rest of the game was meh.

taks

Liturgist
morrowind was just waaaay too washed out for me. some of the views were awesome, but the overall look was just soooo bland. haven't played kotor or gothic 2 so i can't comment. isn't kotor the same aurora engine? if so, how can it's graphics be any better than NWN other than nicer tilesets and maybe a less cartoonish color palette?

mark

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Accoridng to you listen to; KOTOR's engine is either a very advanced version of the Aurora Engine or the Odyessy Engine is a new engine that has some things in common with the Aurora; but is overall brand new.

POOPERSCOOPER said:
Crisp and fluid my ass. One of the most common problems is slowdown when moving teh mouse, with or without a cd crack.
I meant "fluid" when it came to the game's animations. How it ran depended on your computer and whether you used a no-cd crack or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom